Chris Hope: Falcons have the makings of a Super Bowl team

Tennessee Titans v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Safety Chris Hope says he decided to sign with the Falcons last week for one reason more than any other: He wants to win a Super Bowl.

Hope, who played on the Steelers team that won Super Bowl XL and then left Pittsburgh as a free agent and played six years for the Titans, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he believes he can be on another Super Bowl winner in Atlanta.

They have the makings of being a Super Bowl team,” Hope said of the Falcons. “I think that they are right there, knocking on the door. I feel like, for where I’m at in my career, I want to play for something. I don’t want to play for a check. I want to play for an opportunity to win another ring.”

After missing just five games in the previous seven seasons — and starting every game he played — Hope had a rough year in 2011. He suffered a dislocated shoulder and a forearm injury that forced him to miss six of the Titans’ first eight games, and when he returned to the field he had lost his spot in the starting lineup. It remains to be seen whether Hope will start in Atlanta, or whether safeties William Moore and Thomas Decoud will get the starting jobs. But Hope says he just wants to help in whatever way he can in the Falcons’ secondary.

“I feel like they have a great secondary with the addition of Asante Samuel, [Dunta] Robinson, [Brent] Grimes and all of those guys are highly touted and elite corners in my opinion,” Hope said. “The safeties that they’ve had the last few years are real good and they are young. With my leadership and my veteran experience, I can just come in and help them out with whatever I can. I feel like I can still play at a high-level. But again, I’ll just do whatever they ask me to do.”

And Hope isn’t shy about sharing what he thinks the Falcons can do: Win the Super Bowl.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Chris Hope: Falcons have the makings of a Super Bowl team”
  1. marcinhouston says: Jul 3, 2012 8:29 PM

To win the Super Bowl you have to score in the playoffs.

2. backindasaddle says: Jul 3, 2012 8:29 PM

…. not sure if they got the heart. They have the talent, but they have not shown the heart.

3. jbpanthers says: Jul 3, 2012 8:30 PM

First they have to win a playoff game.

4. mike5011ad says: Jul 3, 2012 8:30 PM

“Chris Hope: Falcons have the makings of a Super Bowl team”

Should read–”Chris hopes Falcons have the makings of a Super Bowl team”

5. tonymission says: Jul 3, 2012 8:31 PM

That’s funny.

6. binkystevens says: Jul 3, 2012 8:31 PM

So long as their QB doesn’t choke in pressure situations…

7. rajuncajun28 says: Jul 3, 2012 8:33 PM

8. absolutsaints says: Jul 3, 2012 8:39 PM

Hahahahahahah….MATT RYAN…..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

9. raiderapologist says: Jul 3, 2012 8:44 PM

Hope doesn’t appear to be looking at the other side of the ball. Where points are scored.

10. rockthered1286 says: Jul 3, 2012 8:45 PM

This article was only posted to make Saints fans feel better about their cluster F of a situation.

Next up? Blount says Josh Freeman is a top 5 talent. And so is he.

11. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 3, 2012 8:45 PM

The falcons are the 3rd best team in their own divison, let alone conference.

I don’t know what he is talking about?

12. deadeye says: Jul 3, 2012 8:52 PM

The Falcons are not a serious SB contender. The talent level is that of a 9 or 10 win team. The Julio Jones trade was horrible, too many other holes to fill to go for the sexy pick. Julio will be great, but the Falcons will miss the playoffs. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Panthers pass Atlanta within the division dropping the Falcons to third place.

13. discosucs2005 says: Jul 3, 2012 8:55 PM

“FAILCANTS”

Clever…

14. kinguga says: Jul 3, 2012 8:57 PM

The Falcons’ D will be better in 2012. They may have only scored two freaking points in that playoff game, but the defense has been shaky for a while. Mike Nolan is an elite D-coordinator. I think he’ll fix the problems on that side of the ball.

As for the offense, it’s just going to take a more wide-open gameplan for the team to get better. The Falcons were about as boring as it gets in terms of playcalling. Mike Mularkey is gone, so expect less predictability.

All in all, the Falcons don’t have any excuses if they can’t make a deep run into the playoffs in 2012. If they don’t win a playoff game, look for Mike Smith to be shown the door.

15. genericuser8888 says: Jul 3, 2012 8:57 PM

Lots of teams have the talent to win the Superbowl. However, few have the mental determination and *leadership* necessary to win a Superbow.

When playoff time comes, do you think a team lead by Matt Ryan and Mike Smith can beat a team lead by Belichik and Brady? Or Brees and Payton (well, Vitt for now)?

16. bigwalt2990 says: Jul 3, 2012 8:59 PM

To score in the playoffs, you need a QB….

17. randallflagg52 says: Jul 3, 2012 9:00 PM

Except for the whole QB situation.

18. alonestartexan says: Jul 3, 2012 9:04 PM

As a man that’s watched damn near every game Chris Hope’s ever played, his departure from Tennessee has filled a huge hole in the Titans secondary.

Atlanta signed a liability.

19. kane337 says: Jul 3, 2012 9:06 PM

@rajuncajun28 Everyone said the same exact thing about the Saints until Feb 2010. Aint’s fans have short memories.

20. lightcleric says: Jul 3, 2012 9:07 PM

Maybe he meant in Madden?

21. benchwarmer69 says: Jul 3, 2012 9:12 PM

They’ll have to blow up their roster to ever win the superbowl.

The Bucs or Panthers have a better chance imo.

22. nawlinssaints1956 says: Jul 3, 2012 9:15 PM

No Chris, they don’t; not with Melting Ice at QB and Mike Smith as HC. You picked the wrong NFC South to ride to the SB with..

23. atmedic8daily says: Jul 3, 2012 9:20 PM

I had 2 classes at FSU with Chris & he is not only a gentleman, but very smart. Attended every class & made better grades than me. Didnt clown around like the other Fball player in there. So happy he’s 10 yrs deep in the league #gooddude

24. bigdaddystyle says: Jul 3, 2012 9:21 PM

“I find I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a rested man can feel, a rested man at the start of a long season whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it to the playoffs. I hope to see Roger Goodell and shake his hand. I hope the Lombardi Trophy is as shiny as it has been in my dreams. I hope”

25. yankeemofo says: Jul 3, 2012 9:22 PM

As in, they’ll have a 53-man roster like every other winner?

26. demonspank says: Jul 3, 2012 9:23 PM

And the lip prints of the Kiss of Death are clearly visible on the Falcons’ logo now.

27. mrlaloosh says: Jul 3, 2012 9:26 PM

From scoring 2 (TWO!) points in a playoff game to winning the Super Bowl? Yeah, that sound right.

28. jacobslatter says: Jul 3, 2012 9:30 PM

Hall of Famer John Abraham will see that it happens. Championship.

29. worldchampsbaby says: Jul 3, 2012 9:32 PM

He signed because they offered him the best deal.PERIOD!!!

30. jeffperk says: Jul 3, 2012 9:35 PM

Doesn’t the chosen 1 Matty Ice need to prove he can win a playoff game 1st!!

31. hjnash1970 says: Jul 3, 2012 9:40 PM

Ahh yes, the always classy Saints fans. Sad to see that after the years of misery that city, franchise and fanbase endured the “bandwagon” fans are ruining the names of the good fans of New Orleans.

As a Falcons fan, it’s especially disappointing because NO is one of my favorite cities anywhere. I even got married there to the best woman ever. I really pulled for y’all in the Superbowl and was actually happy to see you finally get that deserved breakthrough.

To have someone purport to represent an undaunted fanbase in the face of terrible football, tragedy and more…just sad.

Hey, I “hope” Chris is right. I still dream of having my moment glory after years as a fan of a downtrodden franchise. I also “hope” that when it does happen, I’ll handle myself with more class and dignity than I’ve seen from some of the “faux” Saints fans.

To the rest of you, thanks and good luck.

32. northeastkiller says: Jul 3, 2012 9:40 PM

Well, they DID have a record setting playoff experience last year.

LOL, try riding Matty Hype to a Super Bowl ring, guy. Let me know how that turns out.

33. adlent says: Jul 3, 2012 9:53 PM

“LMAO….it is an oxymoron to speak of the SB and the FAILCANTS…what a friggin joke….that perennial LOSER will never win a SB…closest they get is watching the Saints win their second….can’t stop laughing….great April Fool’s article….”

————

I always get a laugh out of the division rivalries and these creative team names (not really creative, kinda silly). Especially in the NFC South where each team has had its fair share of rather dismal failure in the very recent history. And for any Saints fan to dump all over Falcons just seems hypocritical. While the Saints have won a Super Bowl, they have also largely failed to live up to their potential year-in and year-out.

And I am a big Drew Brees/Sean Payton fan.

34. buccaroo989 says: Jul 3, 2012 9:54 PM

I beg to differ. Over the past five years the Falcons have been the dominant team in their division. The saints were very fortunate to win their Super Bowl and it is very likely they would not have won in 2009 without the bounty program. That is why they are being sued by “dog” the bounty hunter, for using his name and likeness on their meeting graphics. Dog wants the Saints organization to throw him a few bones.

35. briddes says: Jul 3, 2012 9:57 PM

What a joke. Falcons = Fans Always Left Counting On Next Season.

36. cooklynn17 says: Jul 3, 2012 10:09 PM

Yeah, and so do about 12 other teams.

BTW, Superbowl wannabees need to score more than 2 points in a playoff game.

37. greasybeerfart says: Jul 3, 2012 10:13 PM

Hahahahahahaha.

38. dawgs105 says: Jul 3, 2012 10:16 PM

I love how on every article about the Falcons rajuncajun always makes some dumb comment. He really is so worried about us that he has to come and talk as much trash as he can for now because after the Saints lose both games to the Falcons this year and misses the playoffs he won’t have anything to say.

39. bluefan204 says: Jul 3, 2012 10:20 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Falcons win one. Seeing as how the Taints’ SB is…..for lack of a better word, TAINTED. Couldn’t stand to see them cheat their way to another one.

40. dogluverssuck says: Jul 3, 2012 10:21 PM

Well if you have a Porche being driven by a Subaru driver, you will never reach the finish line.

Matt Ryan’s only shot at a superbowl is as a backup.

41. dmvtransplant says: Jul 3, 2012 10:29 PM

Come on it’s Atlanta, the Falcons don’t seem to remember just winning their division doesn’t mean you won the Super Bowl. One of 3-4 with the best odds to get into the playoffs w/no shot at making a run in them.

42. snookau says: Jul 3, 2012 10:33 PM

What kind of Falcons fan would root for the Saints in the Super Bowl?

You’re an idiot.

Would a Saints fan ever root for the Falcons in the Super Bowl?

Nope.

Did you think that would help your conference in recruiting or something?

Dolt.

43. pantherpro says: Jul 3, 2012 10:44 PM

Worst sports fans in America. Hey rednecks Cam Newton will crush you this year! Panthers will win division all you Romney morons!

44. reporterofthetruth says: Jul 3, 2012 10:45 PM

The Falcons will ride this team for 2 more years of playoff futility, then the rebuilding begins in Atlanta. But give them credit….they are a really good regular season team for the teams tuning up in the playoffs.

45. packersbound says: Jul 3, 2012 10:49 PM

Chris Hope? Who’s this? He’s not a Pro Bowler! He might be a dummy b0y! The Falons always be a circus team.

46. thcnote says: Jul 3, 2012 11:26 PM

Ryan is a good QB but the only one I’ve ever seen tip toe on a QB sneak. Wow! You’ve got to want it dude!

47. granadafan says: Jul 3, 2012 11:26 PM

Might they be a…. dream team?

48. pb420 says: Jul 4, 2012 12:08 AM

I always find it a given that, whenever there is NFCS talk, the Saints are the loudest and most obnoxious fans on the board. As a Bucs fan I’m well aware that we have our own homers, but some of you guys take the cake. As you’re hurling your stones from your glass abodes it is painfully obvious that you’re cowering inside, scared sh!tless at the prospect of your MVP quarterback not signing and a very long season without your HC on the sidelines. In the end Brees will almost certainly sign, but your position is nothing to gloat about.

49. pb420 says: Jul 4, 2012 12:18 AM

@northeastkiller

Haha “playoff experience” is a very gentle way of putting it! I should know, as a Bucs fan I witnessed a 2011 season “experience”. See how that’s done Saints fans?

50. randallflagg52 says: Jul 4, 2012 12:25 AM

Blaine Gabbert thinks Matt Ryan wilts under pressure.

51. bayoubauer says: Jul 4, 2012 11:40 AM

dawgs105 says:
    Jul 3, 2012 10:16 PM

“after the Saints lose both games to the Falcons this year and misses the playoffs”?

Yeah, only if Brees doesn’t sign and sits out this season.