Skip to content

Former Raiders defensive end faces three more murder charges

20120704_092325_anthony-smith_300 AP

As former Raiders defensive end Anthony Wayne Smith was poised to face a new trial on a murder rap that resulted in a hung jury on April 18, a court document released Tuesday reveals that Smith has been charged with three — yes, three — additional murders.

According to the Long Beach Press-Telegram, authorities filed the new charges on Monday.

“This came as quite a surprise,” lawyer Michael S. Evans said after learning of the new charges a mere 45 minutes before jury selection was scheduled to commence.

Previously charged with killing Maurilio Ponce on October 7, 2008, the 45-year-old Smith now stands accused of the November 10, 1999 deaths of Kevin and Ricky Nettles and the June 25, 2001 murder of Dennis Henderson.  The indictment alleges “special circumstances” via the infliction of torture and the multiple murders, making Smith a candidate for the death penalty.

Smith spent seven seasons with the Raiders, appearing in 98 games with 43 starts.

The pending quartet of murder charges hardly constitute Smith’s first exposure to the legal system.  In 2003, he was charged with arson in connection with a blaze that caused $4 million in damage to a furniture store.  The case was dismissed after a pair of juries couldn’t come to a unanimous verdict.

Smith and his wife later filed a federal lawsuit against the arresting officer, alleging false arrest, malicious prosecution, and suppression of exculpatory evidence.  The case was dismissed via a grant of summary judgment, which was upheld by an appeals court.

The stakes this time around are much more significant.  Based on his past experiences with the criminal side of the justice system, however, Smith could walk away once again.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Former Raiders defensive end faces three more murder charges”
  1. joetoronto says: Jul 4, 2012 12:58 PM

    I remember him well, hard to believe this guy is a hitman, or serial killer.

    Mind you, I was shocked when OJ was charged too, so you never know.

  2. broncojazzfan says: Jul 4, 2012 1:03 PM

    Shocker

  3. philvil41 says: Jul 4, 2012 1:14 PM

    More wasted talent.Had excellent pass rush ability,but he cared more about breaking the law than football.Could have set himself up for life financially,now he may get life.

  4. hummer53 says: Jul 4, 2012 4:19 PM

    Dude has knack for getting friendly juries. How’s he pay for his lawyer?

  5. savannahrose44 says: Jul 4, 2012 4:49 PM

    Going to be interesting to see what kind of evidence they have against him. If these charges can be proven by DNA evidence, I would classify this guy as a true piece of human excrement and I hope they dispose of him correctly.

  6. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jul 4, 2012 6:14 PM

    By Raiders standards, he’s practically a model citizen.

  7. txxxchief says: Jul 4, 2012 6:17 PM

    What a great guy. I’m glad his attorneys are doing such a great job of keeping him out of jail. I feel alot safer knowing that his lawyers are protecting his legal right so vigorously.

  8. tatum064 says: Jul 4, 2012 6:37 PM

    Ever notice they go with the 2 surname Anthony Wayne Smith – whenever its an assassin? Like he’s now infamous.

    RAIDER 4 LIFE

    (but he ended his career as a Bronco)

  9. brgastelum says: Jul 4, 2012 6:38 PM

    Hate to see such things from an fellow Arizona alum. I hope he’s innocent of the charges. If not, ride the lightning.

  10. blackqbwhiterb says: Jul 4, 2012 6:43 PM

    Wonder if he’s friends with Rae Carruth, they might have played against each other….

  11. raiderrob21 says: Jul 4, 2012 6:51 PM

    Damn! Terrible to hear. He was bad ass on the field. Lets let the justice system run its course.

    RAIDER NATION!!!

  12. granadafan says: Jul 4, 2012 9:24 PM

    Some people just can’t leave the hood. Surround yourself with murderous gangbangers and you’re going to stay a gangbanger.

  13. oldcracker says: Jul 4, 2012 10:18 PM

    I wonder if either Ray Lewis or Donte Stallworth gave him their lawyer’s phone number.

  14. lunarpie says: Jul 4, 2012 10:33 PM

    If it was another player who played with the Raiders his whole career I’d say he was wrongly accused but Tony Smith went to Denver for a couple years to finish his career as a Bronco. He a scumbag traitor and should FRY!

  15. commonsensedude says: Jul 4, 2012 10:48 PM

    Hope he didn’t do it and that this is all some terrible mix-up.

    Otherwise, it’s another case of Raider Nation Incarceration. If he did do it and gets convicted, at least he will have a lot of faithful fans from the black hole to hang out with in prison.

  16. ghengy says: Jul 4, 2012 11:09 PM

    Hey board Not-zeee, screw you! LMAO

  17. eeerockski says: Jul 5, 2012 12:54 AM

    Stay classy Oakland.

  18. Duckhomie says: Jul 5, 2012 1:17 AM

    How many pro athletes end up committing heinous crimes that really don’t surprise us?

  19. benchwarmer69 says: Jul 5, 2012 2:31 AM

    I guess Al Davis (RIP) wouldn’t want to try to sue the Buccaneers again (logo) after this…

  20. starfan79 says: Jul 5, 2012 6:20 AM

    Sucks to be you

  21. steeelfann says: Jul 5, 2012 8:08 AM

    Someone needs to tell his attorney about the concussion defense. You can pretty much do anything you want because you got hit in the head.

  22. shackdelrio says: Jul 5, 2012 9:02 AM

    “joetoronto says:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:58 PM
    I remember him well…”

    I wonder how often he thinks of the glory days of playing in front of 30k screaming fans at the LA Coliseum.

  23. covercorner says: Jul 6, 2012 12:40 PM

    What will the Raiders do without him?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!