Report: Michael Strahan in final three to co-host with Kelly Ripa

Michael+Strahan+Michael+Strahan+JFK+Airport+zAn4lhxK-9Ol Getty Images

Outside of the legal battle over the bounty suspensions, there’s not much actual football news being made right now.

A former football star’s television career is about as close as we’re going to get, so we bring you word that former Giant defensive end and current FOX pregame show host Michael Strahan is one of three finalists to fill the seat vacated by Regis Philbin next to Kelly Ripa on what’s currently called Live! With Kelly. We can’t say we’ve seen any of Strahan’s work on the show, but he’s an affable fellow who is comfortable in front of the camera thanks to his Sunday gig during football season and one mostly painful season of the sitcom Brothers.

Alas, the report does not tab Strahan as the front-runner. Roger Friedman of Showbiz411.com reports that Seth Meyers, currently the head writer and Weekend Update host of Saturday Night Live, has the inside track on the gig. He’ll co-host a full week of shows next week in a test run and, per the report, the job is his unless he pulls a Brett Favre to help out Strahan.

Singer Josh Groban is the third finalist. This is his first ever mention on the pages of Pro Football Talk and likely his last unless he gets a gig during halftime of the Super Bowl or buys into the Dolphins.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Report: Michael Strahan in final three to co-host with Kelly Ripa”
  1. buzzardpointlookout says: Jul 5, 2012 5:32 PM

Live! With Kelly is not exactly in my TV rotation. However, I did catch one of Strahan’s guest appearances. He was quite good.

2. icdogg says: Jul 5, 2012 6:13 PM

Sadly, I’ve seen all of them on that show.

3. underrated49ers says: Jul 5, 2012 7:26 PM

Tiki Barber is flabbergasted he is not under consideration.

I don’t watch the show, but I hope Strahan gets it just to rub a little salt in Tiki’s broadcasting failure wounds.

4. mancave001 says: Jul 5, 2012 9:08 PM

Good thing I don’t watch that show or know anyone that does. Otherwise, I’d have to deal with that gap-toothed tool.

5. drez146 says: Jul 5, 2012 9:09 PM

Speaking of Tiki he’s a d bag

6. blutri10 says: Jul 5, 2012 9:30 PM

As a Giants fan, I have mixed emotions about this. I met Michael a few times waiting for autographs after Giants games (hey, I was in my teens, what do you want?) and while he may seem like a stand-up guy on TV…He is a MAJOR LEAGUE @sshole in person (just ask his ex wife)…and that’s coming from a die-hard Giants fan. Just my 2 cents…

7. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jul 5, 2012 10:41 PM

Can’t believe they didn’t give Warren Sapp a shot.

8. commonsensedude says: Jul 6, 2012 12:09 AM

Terrell Owens is available. He’s spent some time in daytime television as well, most recently appearing alongside Dr. Phil.

9. truths4all says: Jul 6, 2012 1:29 AM

I understand this gig will be worth anywhere from $6 Million to $8 Million bucks a year to work with a short, pretty, nutty, and almost midget blond who herself makes over $12 Million a year. Nice work if you can get it.

10. gibbskins9 says: Jul 6, 2012 5:10 AM

This must piss Tiki off, how awesome