Terrell Suggs out of the protective boot, loving the rehab process

Terrell+Suggs+AFC+Championship+Baltimore+Ravens+Y9-ePpSTPrTl Getty Images

It’s hard to imagine anyone actually enjoying the process of rehabilitating a torn Achilles tendon, but Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs says he is.

Suggs said today that he no longer needs to wear a protective boot to walk, and that ten weeks after suffering the injury, he is feeling great both physically and mentally and that looking forward to getting on the field this season.

“It’s going great, I’m in good spirits, I like the progress that I’m making,” Suggs told Trey Wingo on NFL Live. “I came out of the boot last week, I’m just walking right now, doing muscle strengthening, trying to get the tendon back strong, and I’m great with where I’m at right now, just loving the process.”

So when can we expect to see Suggs, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, back in action? Suggs wouldn’t give a specific date that he expects to be back on the field, but he said it will definitely be in 2012.

“I’m really optimistic,” Suggs said. “I kind of just want everybody to be surprised.”

It’s always a surprise when a player can return to the field in the same year that he suffers an Achilles tear. But Suggs says his injury was only a partial tear, and after surgery and the early stages of rehab have gone well, it would be surprising if Suggs isn’t able to play this year.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Terrell Suggs out of the protective boot, loving the rehab process”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Jul 6, 2012 5:22 PM

I can think of at least 159 NFL players who are hoping Suggs sacks off on his rehab. Namely the Steelers, Bengals and Browns.

2. rickastleydancemoves says: Jul 6, 2012 5:32 PM

3. granadafan says: Jul 6, 2012 5:49 PM

I hope his sake that he doesn’t rush his rehab and push himself before he’s fully healed. Suggs has said he wants to prove everyone wrong (even though no one doubted him) and come back this season. However, he may be pushing himself too hard.

4. kwf1224 says: Jul 6, 2012 6:31 PM

He likes it, I wouldn’t.

5. watermelon1 says: Jul 6, 2012 7:35 PM

He’s a big man. Lot of weight on that tendon. And if he’s probably putting more strain on the other Achilles trying to compensate through this entire rehab process. With a talent like Suggs who is still in his prime, I really would rather see him REST and slowly ramp up the rehab. If he has to miss this season it’s worth it to play 5 more after this one.

But he knows his body better than any of us… If you’re a fan of good football players though, you have to hope he’s
    smart about it.

Either way, his team still needs a QB.

6. realnflmaster says: Jul 6, 2012 7:52 PM

roids.

7. rockthered1286 says: Jul 6, 2012 7:58 PM

Shoot I lost my list of usernames for people who continue to say “I don’t care who you are it takes X months to heal he won’t play in 2012″ or “hell never be the same” or “his caterer is over” so I can personally message each of you to eat crow the second he steps back on the field this year.

Sidebar: good to know if I ever had a medical question I can come ask any of the hundreds of dr’s who populate PFT

8. willbrownimaging says: Jul 6, 2012 8:21 PM

I would imagine that if Baltimore is in the thick of a playoff race, Suggs will return (if he’s able).

If the Ravens are a middle of the pack team this season (due to age & injuries) then Ozzie Newsome will put him on the shelf to return for 2013.

9. dickjagger says: Jul 6, 2012 8:25 PM

“I don’t care who you are, Achilles injuries take a minimum of 1 and a half to 2 years to fully recover from, partial or full tear. He will be a shell of himself if he plays this season.”

Yeah, cause you know for sure right, being an omniscient doctor, and all-knowing individual don’t you? Hey Pyle, I think I hear the Sarge calling you’re name.

“Either way, his team still needs a QB”

Swing and a miss moron! The Quarterback needs his receivers to consistently catch passes. Either way I think the Ravens will have a really good season with or without Sugg’s. Good enough to beat many teams, including yours…

10. towniesman says: Jul 6, 2012 8:30 PM

He’ll be half the player when he returns

11. ravenmuscle says: Jul 6, 2012 8:30 PM

He wont be a shell of himself…the jerk that said that is a narrow minded wimp and coward. Suggs will be ripping Roethlisberger’s and Brady’s head’s off just like always….and it WILL BE THIS YEAR.

Guys that take 1 and one half to two years to heal are definitely gay.

12. ravenmuscle says: Jul 6, 2012 8:31 PM

Roethlisberger and Brady can’t carry Flacco’s jock strap.

13. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Jul 6, 2012 9:14 PM

Come back Suggs, so you can rip it on half this time horseface!! Now go watch your receivers drop passes on the end zone and Cundiff choke a few field goals.

14. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Jul 6, 2012 9:20 PM

Ravens fans are closed minded morons. There is no sense trying to speak to them logically.

15. deathtoromo says: Jul 6, 2012 9:51 PM

If the Wizard of Oz had managed the cap they could get a decent replacement.

16. bradyisbetterthanrodgers says: Jul 6, 2012 9:59 PM

ravensmuscle

how many rings does flacco have? And as far as suggs ripping brady’s head off, thats hilarious. did he even play in afc championship game?

17. firegoodell says: Jul 6, 2012 10:06 PM

ravenmuscle says:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:31 PM
    Roethlisberger and Brady can’t carry Flacco’s jock strap.

perhaps its because they each have two many super bowl rings on their fingers??
    Brady – 3 rings
    Roethlisberger – 2 rings
    Flacco – 0 rings…unless you count all the suffeRINGs he puts ravens fans thru

18. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Jul 6, 2012 11:04 PM

19. heyzeus143 says: Jul 6, 2012 11:31 PM

Terrell Suggs you gonna get smashed by some steelers

20. dwatkins69 says: Jul 6, 2012 11:49 PM

“It’s always a surprise when a player can return to the field in the same year that he suffers an Achilles tear”

Can anyone name a player that has come back the same year from an Achilles Tear? Also, Has any player been as good after that comeback?

21. ravenator says: Jul 7, 2012 12:44 AM

Suggs will be back when it counts most, representing the AFCN in the playoffs.

22. opiedamus says: Jul 7, 2012 12:45 AM

There’s no such thing as “typical” achilles injury. Variables: skill of doctor, how soon after injury that one has surgery, tolerance to pain when rehabing, physical condition prior to and during leg being immobilized, occurence of surgical complications, and, finally, a body’s speed of recovery. Some people do heal faster.

I tore mine the same weekend. Am out of a walking boot @ 10 weeks (original plan was 12 to 14 weeks in footwear) and will be cleared to be back on the playing “explosive” sports by late October. I don’t have any reason to rush it, but I’m a good 2 weeks ahead of schedule. The rest of the way is on the individual’s rehabbing.

Saying that, I’m not scheduling my day around rehab w/trainers Suggs has access to. Combine that with his being a partial tear and he could be back on the field by November.

5-6 months til tendon is strengthened. Loss of strength/flexibility is usually around 10%, but Suggs could minimize this further to say 5%, possibly…maybe.

So, in truth, he could be back on the field by November and by December being playing pretty well. He will not be as fast as he was or as quick as he was, but by 2013 he could be pretty damn close.

The issue is explosive movements. As in getting off the snap, jumping, sudden changes of direction. Don’t expect him to wreck havoc, but I’m pretty sure he’s played at 90% before and we never noticed a difference.

So, he probably will “play” this season and look pretty decent by the end of the season….just don’t expect too much.

23. mactimo says: Jul 7, 2012 12:47 AM

Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.

Parekh et al used a player’s power rating as a measure of functional outcome in the evaluation of “skill players” in the NFL, which included defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, wide receivers, and running backs. This study showed that 31 acute Achilles tendon ruptures occurred in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. The average age of a player sustaining a rupture was 29, with an average career before injury spanning six years.

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be 4-6 months. The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons afterthe injury. There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

24. TeamBalco says: Jul 7, 2012 2:19 AM

Thumbs up for “The Clear”

Thumbs down for “The Cream”

25. kuta82 says: Jul 7, 2012 7:36 AM

@poofingmonkey..Suggs does have his way with the other QBs but not the Bengals..He is always gets handled very well by #77 Withworth. He doesn’t have a better winning record against the Bengals..justcheck the numbers since 04..He is a monster and I love watching him crash into Big Ben

26. enikville says: Jul 7, 2012 8:38 AM

Yeah, without his caterer he’ll be doomed this year.

27. seahulk9 says: Jul 7, 2012 9:09 AM

suggs is being a bit ridiculous as far as pushing the rehab faster than he should….he could easily end up back where he began montha ago. seems ill advised

28. SteelyMcBeam6 says: Jul 7, 2012 10:58 AM

Ravenseattheirownpoop “Why do all the Ravens fans just bang on the Steelers constantly. I will answer that for you. It’s called an inferiority complex!”

And that’s what’s called hitting the nail on the head.