Lofa Tatupu insists last year’s absence wasn’t injury related

Lofa Tatupu AP

When a player with the credentials of Lofa Tatupu was out of the league for year, there was a wide-held assumption that it was because of injuries.

He denies that, saying it wasn’t concussions or knee problems or anything else that kept him out, after he refused a pay cut and was released by the Seahawks (and his old college coach Pete Carroll).

It wasn’t my choice,” Tatupu said of his absence, via Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe. “It wasn’t anything to do with concussions or lingering injuries. I was ready to play last season.

“I got released, like a lot of people did, and I just didn’t catch on with anybody.”

He admitted he nearly gave up the attempt to come back.

“At a certain point, I just stopped working out,’’ Tatupu said. ‘‘I thought it was over. I was really ready to send those [retirement] papers in.’’

Now he’s in Atlanta, competing for a starting job with Akeem Dent. It’s a strange situation to be in, considering he’s a former All-Pro and Pro Bowler.

If he’s truly well, it’s a competition he has an excellent chance to win. But with what he’s gone through in recent years, proving that will be tougher than supplanting Dent, a 2011 third-rounder.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
7 Responses to “Lofa Tatupu insists last year’s absence wasn’t injury related”
  1. luthierjr says: Jul 8, 2012 12:40 PM

Tatupu is a beast. I hope he does well…. except when he is playing my team.

2. blacknole08 says: Jul 8, 2012 1:59 PM

He was great early in his career with the Seahawks and was fun to watch. This guy made so many plays against us in the 2006 NFC championship game. Just go easy on Cam Newton.

3. sarkent says: Jul 8, 2012 2:00 PM

Good luck to the guy, but he is undersized and the wear and tear was beginning to show even before he was released by the Seahawks. I don’t think he’s an all-pro or pro bowl level middle linebacker anymore.

4. chazzmon says: Jul 8, 2012 4:28 PM

Wonder why no one took a look at him last year? Was he asking for too much money?

5. sshettig says: Jul 8, 2012 10:21 PM

What was the reason for his absence? If its not injury related as he claims. Vince youngidest?

6. kane337 says: Jul 8, 2012 11:11 PM

Best of luck Lofa. Hope your career takes off again.

7. randallflagg52 says: Jul 9, 2012 5:47 AM

Lofa Tatupu is one of the most intelligent LB’s in all of football, the guy just get’s the game. Shame he’s undersized and a little on the slow side, because if he had the size and physical abilities of Patrick Willis he’d be the next Ray Lewis.