Antonio Brown: Todd Haley “seems like a real friendly guy”

Todd Haley AP

When new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley was hired, the questions in Pittsburgh were mostly about whether the famously prickly Haley could get along with the players on Pittsburgh’s offense. But Steelers receiver Antonio Brown says that’s not a concern at all.

Brown told Jim Rome on Rome that after working with Haley in minicamp and Organized Team Activities this summer, he’s come away impressed with the fact that when Haley gets on players, it’s because he genuinely cares about bringing out the best in them.

“You’ve got to respond well when coaches get up in your face,” Brown said. “He seems like a real friendly guy who’s demanding the best for you. You can’t take it personally. You’ve got to use it all for the better.”

I haven’t heard any players refer to Haley as “a real friendly guy” before (I think the closest thing to a compliment I had ever heard one of Haley’s players give him before was when Steve Breaston referred to Haley as “not always a butthole“), but Brown says that Haley’s approach is just what the Steelers need.

“Change can be great if everyone buys in. We’re accepting Todd Haley — you see his history of great wide receivers,” he said. “Getting a chance of working with him at OTAs and minicamp was something special.”

From Brown’s description, it sounds like the Steelers are getting a friendlier version of Haley. It remains to be seen whether that will last once the season starts.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Antonio Brown: Todd Haley “seems like a real friendly guy””
  1. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 9, 2012 7:43 PM

Antonio Brown: total class act.

Amazing in this day and age to observe such humility from an NFL athlete playing the “diva position” – especially after coming fresh off a breakout season playing on a 6th rounder contract.

Just love that kid – hope he stays in the ‘Burgh for a long, long, lonnng time.

2. mikeypanic says: Jul 9, 2012 7:45 PM

brown keeps showing wallace how you handle your business.

the sky is the limit for this kid.

3. nowthetruth says: Jul 9, 2012 7:49 PM

Give it time……

4. pizzon says: Jul 9, 2012 9:07 PM

Somebody tell me since when was it the job of the OC to stroke a players ego. I thought that was what your friends were for to tell you how great you are. personally I think Haley is exactly what this team needs is someone to get in their face if thats what is needed to keep these guys from getting too big a head.

5. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 9, 2012 9:10 PM

Yeah, it’s a different sport, but 76ers head coach Doug Collins lamented how professional athletes are pampered and babied in this day and age…while reminding everyone how “back in the day” coaches were very hard on players to instill discipline and work ethic into them. Nowadays, if a coach gets all over a player and presses his buttons too hard, the player is more likely to simply shut down and give nothing towards the team getting better.

Alot of these superstars that have been repeatedly told their whole lives of “how gifted and great they are,” have some seriously thin skin. Yeah, you got talent kid…now MAN UP!

6. steeltuff says: Jul 9, 2012 11:07 PM

Haley’s in the Burgh now . . . he grew up there when his dad, Dick, was the team’s Director of Player Personnel, so he’s bound to feel at home. The Burgh is a friendly place . . . after all, Mr. Rogers and Andy Warhol were born and raised there. Nothing friendlier than people eating a Primanti Bros. hoagie and washing it down with an Iron City Beer. Life is good in the Burgh.

7. jbaxt says: Jul 9, 2012 11:19 PM

Pioli wants someone to kiss his ass and Haley wasn’t about to play that role. I’m hoping Crennel can pull it off but Haley wasn’t about to accept Cassel for another year whereas Crennel just wantsed the job. If KC does anything it will be because of their other 52 positions, if they’re 8-8 or worse, it will be because of the 1 position.

8. beardinals says: Jul 10, 2012 1:45 AM

I don’t care how “professional” you are – A d***head with a constantly abrasive personality gets old.

9. mintberrycrunch1 says: Jul 10, 2012 1:58 AM

Antonio Brown is a good dude. We need more stories about guys like him.

10. bettis3636 says: Jul 10, 2012 8:37 AM

I met Haley 2 weeks ago…. dude is excited to Be in Pittsburgh again and very excited to have the talent he has on offence… pretty excited to see how he uses them!!

11. choppinwood says: Jul 10, 2012 8:49 AM

Let’s see if Mike Wallace feels the same way once Haley gets in his grill about screwing up.

12. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Jul 10, 2012 3:56 PM

He will be the best thing to happen to Beg Ben. He needs challenged and not coddled. I believe that will get the most out of Roethlesberger. Also, it’s going to be nice to see some screen passes to our speedy rb’s(Rainey) when the defense is sending the house. Remember that……a screen pass?

13. flori0s4breakfast says: Jul 13, 2012 4:36 AM

Hold up. The burgh brings in Haley to take the O in a different direction and you are excited to see more screen passes? If you love the screen so much follow BA to Indy. The screen pass is weak. If the steelers need guaranteed yards why waste a play- teams expect the steelers to toss a screen after how many times they ran it in the past. It’s too predictable like the rest of BA’s old offense. I hope Haley takes this young, hungry, new look o-line- plays to their strength and let’s the TE (HEEEEATH!) get out into field to make clutch catches from Ben. Because my lord if I see this progression wr screen left, wr screen right, rb screen I’ll rip my 60″ off the wall and smash it with my dons little tikes golf clubs.

14. flori0s4breakfast says: Jul 13, 2012 4:38 AM