Everson Griffen slimming down for switch to linebacker

Cam Newton, Everson Griffen AP

The Vikings are deep at defensive end, and thin at linebacker.

So it made sense to experiment with Everson Griffen, to give him a few looks in minicamp to see if he could play away from the line of scrimmage.

It apparently worked, as Griffen said he’s been told linebacker would be his primary position when training camp opens July 27.

“That’s what I’m looking at,” Griffen told Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “I’m looking [to] get on the field and show them what I can do and show them I can be an impact right away at linebacker.”

Griffen said he was “dropping pounds” and was down to 263 to get ready for the change. He’s been working out alongside Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald at the University of Minnesota.

“Just trying to come back in the best shape possible,” Griffen said. “Fast, quick, the whole nine.”

Vikings starters Jared Allen and Brian Robison combined for nearly 90 percent of the snaps at defensive end, but Griffen showed enough in limited work (4.0 sacks) that the Vikings wanted to expand his role.

He’s been listed at 273 pounds in the past, and if he shows up at their suggested 265, he’s still big for a 4-3 outside linebacker. But he expects to continue to get snaps as an end and as the “Joker,” on passing downs as well.

“I expect to be doing that, too,” Griffen said. “When camp starts, whatever they’ve got for me, I’m just going to execute. I’m just going to go out there and — no buts this time, this and this. Execute my assignment and make plays and show them that I’m ready to play, that I’m mature enough, that I’m ready and I’m trying to take it to that next step.

“I want to be one of them guys that’s going to be a big impact on us winning games and going to the playoffs and even try to win a Super Bowl. It’s early right now, but I’m just ready to go, man. Ready to just get out there and show Minnesota what I can do. Show the owners, show just everybody how I can contribute to the team.”

Maturity has always been a bit of a question with Griffen, and much of the reason they were able to get him in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. But if he’s serious about getting himself in shape to make a significant switch, the Vikings might have a serious pass-rush in 2012.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Everson Griffen slimming down for switch to linebacker”
  1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jul 9, 2012 2:40 PM

He would be a great blitzing outside linebacker but I don’t know if he can cover tight ends and running backs in pass patterns. He would probably fit in great in a 3-4.

2. tjacks7 says: Jul 9, 2012 2:44 PM

this guy is going to be exciting to watch this year.

3. norseyapper says: Jul 9, 2012 2:47 PM

Glad to hear that attitude. It sounds like he could be a 20 or so snaps a game guy giving the QB a question mark on whether he’ll be rushing or dropping into short coverage. He’s enough of a physical talent that it makes sense that they find a way to get him on the field.

4. contra74 says: Jul 9, 2012 3:01 PM

Great attitude! We need more of this type of attitude across the league.

5. hugejazz says: Jul 9, 2012 3:02 PM

More and more teams are drafting “football players” on defense as opposed to etched in stone position players. The O line has been doing that for years. Interchangible players across the line. Flexibility and durability are everything.

6. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jul 9, 2012 3:26 PM

Starting a DE at linebacker and a fullback at RB1! What could possibly go wrong? Why not add some basketball players and wrestlers while you’re at it. Oh wait…

7. kgs69 says: Jul 9, 2012 3:34 PM

I saw Everson running at the Larry Fitz camp. His speed is unreal for a guy his size. Was running stride for stride with DB’s and WR’s. I hope it works out for him and the team.

8. schmitty2 says: Jul 9, 2012 3:58 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:Jul 9, 2012 3:26 PM

Says the guy who’s teams best back is John Kuhn

9. jkaflagg says: Jul 10, 2012 12:21 AM

This guy has always been the quintessential looks-like-Tarzan-plays-like-Jane guy, even back at USC; will be interesting to see if the position change turns the light on, although it rarely does…..

10. Frazier28/7 says: Jul 10, 2012 11:43 AM

So, does this mean Chad Greenway will be the new starting middle linebacker??

If Brinkley’s hurt, please don’t put Griffen in at MLB, Greenway should be able to make the defensive calls by now in the NFL and is more then athletic enough to man the middle with Henderon and Griffen on the outsides.