Archie Manning joins effort to save daily paper in New Orleans

elipeytonarchiemanningviabillfrakesgettyimages Getty Images

As the owners of the New Orleans Times-Picayune plan to reduce the daily printed newspaper to a three-times-per-week offering, some of the most prominent citizens of the Crescent City are suggesting an alternative:  sell.

“If you have ever valued the friendship you have shared with our city and your loyal readers, we ask that you sell the Times-Picayune,” the letter from The Times-Picayune Citizens’ Group states, according to, well, the Times-Picayune.

Former Saints quarterback Archie Manning has joined the effort.

“I don’t think I’m any different than the majority of citizens of New Orleans,” Manning said. “I’ve been here for 41 years, and the daily paper is a part of my life, and if there’s any chance to continue to have it seven days a week, I would like to help.”

The request was immediately rejected.

As a result, printed papers will be generated in New Orleans only on Wednesday, Fridays, and Sunday, with the rest of the information made available on the Times-Picayune website.

Previously, the group urged the owners to simply rescind their plans.

“If there’s somebody in this community who likes this idea they have, I haven’t met them yet,” said James Carville, another prominent New Orleans resident who has joined the effort.

The solution seems obvious.  With so many rich and/or powerful people aligned to save the daily newspaper industry in New Orleans, they should pool their riches and/or power and launch a competitor that prints (drum roll, please) a daily newspaper.

If, of course, a potential group of investors for a daily newspaper that would compete with the Times-Picayune runs the numbers and realizes that the realities of the modern marketplace don’t support the concept of a seven-days-per-week paper in New Orleans, at least they’ll come to better understand why the owners of the Times-Picayune are doing what they’re doing.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Archie Manning joins effort to save daily paper in New Orleans”
  1. sj39 says: Jul 10, 2012 9:34 AM

That’s just the way it is.

2. whiteshoesjohnson says: Jul 10, 2012 9:43 AM

Mr. Florio your Either/Or suggestion sucks. Since the tone of the article suggests that a long time daily newspaper is something of a public service why not have those prominent citizens your article references partially subsidize it similar to the PBS model. More practical than a start up or buy out… The more I hear of the Manning family the more I admire them

3. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jul 10, 2012 9:43 AM

I have a similar idea. Maybe PFT could start printing a daily paper and deliver it to my house. I think it’s a business model whose time has come.

4. nfloracle says: Jul 10, 2012 10:02 AM

The 1% in New Orleans do NOT put their money where their mouth is when it’s obviously a stupid investment.

Daily printed newspapers are a thing of the past, and the sooner the Who Dat 1% like Archie Manning accept the fact, the sooner the whining stops.

5. bunjy96 says: Jul 10, 2012 10:36 AM

Wouldn’t be surprised that in the next 5 years over half the daily newspapers either disappear or go to 2 or 3 days a week.

6. mdd913 says: Jul 10, 2012 10:46 AM

———————————————————————

Except the realities of the market do support it. I think if you did a little research of the profit margins of newspapers you would know that. You would also know that FCC deregulation means that big media conglomerates can buy out local papers, strip-mine them and leave them for dead. And we wonder why true journalism is dying in this country.

PS – You should probably be aware that the TP was not the only paper caught up in these cuts. Advance Publications which owns the TP did the same thing in Mobile and at least two other of their sites.

7. thingamajig says: Jul 10, 2012 10:49 AM

It doesn’t say but is it safe to assume the monthly subscription price will remain the same?

8. crali says: Jul 10, 2012 11:22 AM

Can’t it just be nice that Archie wants to help — it’s probably 1 of very few times a Manning and Carville will agree on something.

9. dontouchmyjunk says: Jul 10, 2012 11:42 AM

Some people have nostalgia for the physical pulp paper, but the news hasn’t stopped being written and delivered. I haven’t had a physical newspaper in my hands for over five years now. But I read my local newspaper every day — electronically. Now, on my tablet.

Why do people care about an obviously dead way to bring information to people? Did indoor light stop when oil burning lanterns went out of favor?

I feel for the guy who works at the printing press, but he had to see this coming for years now. The journalists are unaffected. Or should be. Their work is still delivered to whoever wants to read it.

A decade from now there will be zero paper news being delivered anywhere in the world. Followed shortly by books. But there will still be a wealth of information and stories to read.

I don’t have much sympathy for old people who don’t want to change with the times. And I’m an old people.

10. electionconfidential says: Jul 10, 2012 12:22 PM

How novel. A story about whining coming out of New Orleans.

11. omegalh says: Jul 10, 2012 12:48 PM

Saving a newspaper is like saving a telegraph machine in 1890.

12. philwauke says: Jul 10, 2012 1:09 PM

They have a couple of proposed buyers but newhouse is refusing to sell to anyone.

13. thehouseofho says: Jul 10, 2012 1:42 PM

dontouchmyjunk says:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:42 AM

—–
    I’m of the age to be considered a child of the digital generation. I have multiple mobile devices on which I do my reading. I’m also a New Yorker who commutes about 30 minutes underground on a daily basis.

None of my devices receive a signal when I’m on the train. Sure, I use ReadItLater for sites or just download a book before heading into the station, but when I hear someone talking about a free agent signing or a trade that took place the night before, I can’t look it up on my tablet or phone to get the details.

My parents are much older than I am and I read a physical paper much more than they do because of logistics not because of age.

Then you also have to take into account those who cannot afford a mobile device and its associated data plan. If you have a phone, you’re probably not too worried about it since you’re already paying that price anyway. But what if you don’t want to read on a phone or you simply can’t? Data service for a tablet can be quite costly. Much more costly than the 50 cents a day it costs for someone to purchase a paper. Let’s also not forget that the digital content is not always free either. That just adds onto the cost.

14. backindasaddle says: Jul 11, 2012 9:30 PM

Look!… it’s a Goober Trifecta!