Courtney Upshaw feels blessed he wound up in Baltimore

Courtney+Upshaw+Baltimore+Ravens+Minicamp+hTFFqppcRRml Getty Images

For many people, hearing the old saying about making lemonade when life gives you lemons causes a negative reaction because of the overly simplistic and appallingly cutesy way it attempts to deal with crushing disappointment.

Courtney Upshaw isn’t one of those people. He expected to go in the first round of April’s draft, but found himself still sitting in the green room at Radio City Music Hall when the second day of the process got underway. His wait ended when he went to the Ravens with the 35th overall selection and that spot wound up working out just fine for Upshaw.

Jarret Johnson left as a free agent and Terrell Suggs injured his Achilles shortly after Upshaw came to the team, leaving ample playing time available on the edge for a rookie who happens to play in that exact spot. Upshaw realizes his good fortune.

“I’m very blessed, very happy I fell into this predicament,” Upshaw said, via Zac Jackson of FOXSportsOhio.com. “I was disappointed in the draft, not being a first-rounder, but at the end of the day I landed in a great spot. Why it happened, I don’t know. I just enjoy being the with the Ravens. The veterans there are unbelievable. It’s a great atmosphere, starting with Ozzie (Newsome), the coaches, Ray Lewis, everybody.”

Paul Kruger appears set for one starting linebacker job, which means Upshaw will have to compete with Sergio Kindle, Pernell McPhee and Chavis Williams this summer. All signs point to him standing in Suggs’ spot when the season gets underway, though. That job won’t come with the contract that Upshaw thought he’d get as a first rounder, but it could well give him a better chance at long-term success than he would have had as a higher pick.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Courtney Upshaw feels blessed he wound up in Baltimore”
  1. tsizzlehotpiss says: Jul 10, 2012 9:12 AM

I cannot WAIT to see Upshaw out there at rush end. He was an absolute beast at Alabama and one of the hardest hitting players I have ever seen. He has a great opportunity to step right in and make a significant contribution to the team, and I think he will.

Ironically, Chavis Williams is a former teammate of his at Alabama.

2. nfloracle says: Jul 10, 2012 9:18 AM

The one thing that annoys me more than hearing “Have a blessed day” is “I feel blessed.” I’m just sure God blesses football players for winding up in Baltimore.

3. bmorelikeme says: Jul 10, 2012 9:32 AM

So is the national media ever going to realize that Pernell McPhee is a DE in our 3-4 system? Or are they going to continue to write that he’s in the mix to replace Sizzle. I see that everywhere and it really bugs me.

Also, Raven’s fans feel blessed that Upshaw ended in Baltimore as well. Great pickup in the 2nd round and he will fit in just fine.

4. aceben3 says: Jul 10, 2012 9:33 AM

And Raven Nation feels blessed to have him!

5. humbleminded85 says: Jul 10, 2012 10:34 AM

bmorelikeme says: Jul 10, 2012 9:32 AM

—————————————————-
    Good point. It’s like the Flacco comment’s about being the best, if anybody actually took the 3 min to listen to that interview instead of letting the media dictate what they think, anybody would want their QB to say the same freakin thing. What’s my point? I guess that the national media outlets and the local ones have to totally different ways of reporting. It’s a shame that we tend to take what the national ones say and run with it.

6. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 10, 2012 11:13 AM

We’ll see how blessed Upshaw feels after a pulling DeCastro changes the color of Upshaw’s sky.

7. malkinrulez says: Jul 10, 2012 11:21 AM

Not a ravens fan but I hope Courtney upshaw has a huge career. Great guy and outstanding work ethic!

8. tsizzlehotpiss says: Jul 10, 2012 3:13 PM

@ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:Jul 10, 2012 11:13 AM

__________________________________

Upshaw owned lineman of DeCastro’s caliber throughout his college career. DeCastro will wake up looking out of his earhole if that matchup occurs.

9. steelersownyou says: Jul 11, 2012 6:56 AM

Adams or decastro will change that blessing of being drafted by a declining team!

10. randallflagg52 says: Jul 11, 2012 10:24 AM

ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:Jul 10, 2012 11:13 AM

==================================

Upshaw played better players in the SEC than DeCastro, who played in a weak pac 12. Also I’m pretty sure DeCastro will be too busy getting owned by Ngata to have any say in Upshaw’s game.