DeMarco Murray declares himself ready for training camp

Redskins' Hall fights through the block of Cowboys' Phillips as he tackles Murray during their NFL football game in Landover Reuters

Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray said he’s back to 100 percent, and ready to build on his eye-opening rookie season.

During a chat Wednesday on ESPN.com, Murray said the ankle which he broke last December was fully healed, and wouldn’t be an issue when training camp opened.

The ankle is doing great,” Murray wrote, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “I’ll be able to do whatever the coaches want me to do.”

Murray rushed for 897 yards, averaging 5.5 per carry as a rookie last season. Of those, 253 came against the Rams, breaking Emmitt Smith’s single-game rushing record.

“I knew I would have some success, but I didn’t know it would go that well,” Murray wrote. “But I was blessed to have good coaches and once I got the opportunity, I ran with it, . . . literally.”

Former first-rounder Felix Jones may still play a large role, but Murray showed last year he’s more than capable of being the lead back.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “DeMarco Murray declares himself ready for training camp”
  1. hellswitch says: Jul 11, 2012 6:02 PM

I like DeMarco and before getting injured last year he was putting up yards on the ground like a beast. Time will tell if he can live up to last year.

2. tightend42 says: Jul 11, 2012 6:03 PM

I hope so. You were one of my best fantasy pick ups. I can either keep you or Foster, the vegan

3. warhol63 says: Jul 11, 2012 7:12 PM

The health of Demarco & Felix is crucial for the success of Dallas this year. All teams benefit from a good ground game and balanced attack but I think it especially true for the Cowboys. Their defense has been inconsistent at best and the less they are on the field the better. And Romo will be healthier and better if he doesn’t have to chunk it around the yard 50 times a game.

4. bcjim says: Jul 11, 2012 11:27 PM

One hit wonder

5. bison4me says: Jul 12, 2012 1:47 AM

I hope 83 was called for an illegal block in the back or at the very least, holding on that play.

6. bluebongzilla says: Jul 12, 2012 1:03 PM

re: bison4me

That’s not against the rules if the block was initiated from the front, and the defender turned around on his own while being blocked.

7. robnel36 says: Jul 12, 2012 1:48 PM

The Boys need to keep Felix around because Murray’s durability is a huge question. The only reason this guy wasn’t drafted in the first round was because of his injury problems. When you look at his college statistics he rush yards and average are near the same to Adrian Peterson’s and he actually had 9 more touchdowns the A.P.. You hope for the guy that he can stay on the field and be healthy because his mixture of speed and elusiveness is something special. It’s just hard for the Cowboys to have faith in him to stay healthy and this point and thats why they need to solitify their 2nd and 3rd string RB positions. They have Felix who is a good #2 but I’m still not sold on if Philip Tanner can become a legitimate back in this league. But we will see.

8. Grulks says: Jul 12, 2012 1:52 PM

My only concern is how much of his success was due to Fiammetta’s blocking. If you check the stats, games Fiammetta was out (weeks 11-13), Murray’s numbers are very different.

My hope is that if Murray’s success was due to excellent blocking, Vickers provides a quality replacement.