Hasselbeck loves Locker

Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Locker AP

If Matt Hasselbeck is to be believed, the Tennessee Titans have the friendliest quarterback competition in NFL history.

Hasselbeck, the incumbent starter who will try to stave off last year’s first-round draft pick Jake Locker for at least another year, gushed about Locker in an interview with NFL Network’s Rich Eisen. Hasselbeck noted that he signed with the Titans last year knowing that he was the short-term starter but that Locker as franchise quarterback was Tennessee’s long-term plan, and he likes it that way.

“Jake’s great. He’s been awesome,” Hasselbeck said. “It was a weird thing with the lockout last year. He was drafted by the Titans and then free agency happened after that. I had a choice to sign and I knew — a lot of times you get signed before and then you don’t know what the team’s going to do in the draft. This was a situation where they drafted him, he becomes their guy of the future, the guy they’re committed to and invested in. I didn’t really know him well but I think that was a positive for me going into it. In my mind I was like, ‘Here’s a young guy who’s really talented, who seems like a great guy, everybody I know says he’s a great guy, he’ll be fun to work with and compete with.'”

Hasselbeck said that as much as he was optimistic about a good working relationship with Locker, the relationship has exceeded his expectations.

“It’s been ten times better,” Hasselbeck said. “He’s a better kid than I’ve heard, he’s a better thrower than I’ve heard, he’s much smarter in the classroom than I would have expected for someone his age. So it’s been really good, it’s been really fun, my kids love him and the whole quarterback room in general is really good.”

As a young quarterback in Green Bay and Seattle, Hasselbeck had good relationships with veterans Brett Favre and Trent Dilfer. Now Hasselbeck sounds like he’s eager to pay it forward by serving as a mentor to Locker. Even though he’s not willing to cede the starting job just yet.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Hasselbeck loves Locker”
  1. shanehawks says: Jul 11, 2012 8:15 PM

Hasselbeck is always a professional. He has also always made the game of football enjoyable to watch. Easy guy to root for.

2. Nikhil Balakumar says: Jul 11, 2012 8:23 PM

glad to have both.

hassleback should start this season because he gives us a chance to be one of the more explosive offenses in the NFL. britt, wright, washington, cook, cj and one of the best pass protections could be lethal.

it’ll be good for locker to sit another year

3. derfshambeaux says: Jul 11, 2012 8:27 PM

Hasslebeck loves Locker. I love lamp.

4. tennesseeoilers says: Jul 11, 2012 8:27 PM

It only took about a month of them both being in town for me to get the impression this was like no other relationship among QB’s that I’d ever seen. Ironically, if the Titans hadn’t locked Steve McNair out of the facility and traded him to Baltimore, many of us thought he and Vince Young would have a relationship like this. (Mac was VY’s father figure.)

5. rekingcrew says: Jul 11, 2012 8:29 PM

Hasselbeck does not love Super Bowl refereeing.

6. cooklynn17 says: Jul 11, 2012 8:30 PM

Sure, and Sanchez loves Tebow.

7. lt2futurehof says: Jul 11, 2012 8:45 PM

This looks like a way for Hasselback to accept the fact that Locker will be taking over the starting QB duties once the season starts. Just a way to make sure their are no hard feelings.

8. bigguy54 says: Jul 11, 2012 8:46 PM

You always read about how great some of these guys are. Jake is the real deal, one of the nicest, most unassuming kids there is. I wish him the best of luck, wish he would have lasted to the Hawks pick.

9. h4wksf4n says: Jul 11, 2012 8:46 PM

Miss hasselbeck in Seattle…. Hope he comes back to the franchise in some sort of FO role when he retires.

10. benh999 says: Jul 11, 2012 8:47 PM

Actually, Hasselbeck supposedly thought Dilfer was a pompous jackass.

11. blacknole08 says: Jul 11, 2012 8:49 PM

Hasselbeck has always been a class act but I’d like to see Jake Locker win it. He has more mobility, a better arm and showed that he can be smart with the football (0 INTs his rookie year). Almost came back and beat the Saints with some good throws but time ran out. He’s not Steve McNair but he’s still exciting to watch.

The future is now.

12. NFLJunkie says: Jul 11, 2012 9:06 PM

The friendliest QB competition in history is just fine with me after living through years of Vince Young drama.

These are both really good guys. I never got a full read on Hasselbeck’s personality when he was way out west in Seattle and not getting a lot of national media coverage, but he’s a rock solid pro, on and off the field. And judging from 2011, he can still play well as long as he’s not playing hurt (that’s when his game dropped off at times last year).

Locker’s just a good character, hard-working, really likeable kid. With real upside, based on the glimpses he showed last year. And with a pro like Hasselbeck to teach him the ropes.

It’s a good situation all the way around.

13. cardmagnet says: Jul 11, 2012 9:08 PM

Is this a revamp of Joanie Loves Chachi?

14. burkem325 says: Jul 11, 2012 9:08 PM

I love lockers too. They’re really handy for securing personal items.

15. jobotjones says: Jul 11, 2012 9:10 PM

He also said he was going to score in that OT vs the packers…

16. rmavs says: Jul 11, 2012 9:29 PM

Hard feelings or not, its a nice change to hear a veteran player speak highly of the young talent that will subplant him. Hass has had a nice career, and, through his words, he reveals that he accepts the life cycle of his NFL position. To me, it shows that Hass is one of the few that has no problem “teaching” a young guy; he has no problem helping a young cube grow in the league. He’s had a great run, yet, he’s comfortable with the realization that his better days are behind him. Kudos. Guys like this make the league better. Mentoring is just as important as being “the guy”.

17. One Up the Bum says: Jul 11, 2012 9:29 PM

Like Joanie loves Chachi?

Seriously, Matt has always been an awesome guy.

18. emmawilson33 says: Jul 11, 2012 9:48 PM

There is nothing like getting on the road and feeling the wind in hair and being free. If you ride a motorbike and enjoy meeting other riders or find someone special for your backseat. If u admire bikers and look for a backseat. Welcome to___seekingbikers.com___online dating site for bikers and those who love them. With tens of thousands biker guys and biker girls, you are bound to find your biker friends to share their riding experiences and passion for motorcycles. :)

19. randallflagg52 says: Jul 11, 2012 10:08 PM

When Hasselbeck hangs it up I look forward to seeing him in the broadcaster’s booth. Very classy, personable and funny guy. I love to hear him mic’d up because he’s always very witty and lighthearted, while at the same time being a fierce competitior who can ball. Very underrated player throughtout his career. This Raven fan will be sad to see him go when his time is up.

20. pc29 says: Jul 11, 2012 10:08 PM

If he loves him, why doesn’t he marry him?

21. chillyball says: Jul 11, 2012 10:09 PM

*Footlocker.

22. buccaneerz78 says: Jul 11, 2012 10:37 PM

Locker is a beast.. Let him loose! Loved watching him as a huskie.

23. dolphandan says: Jul 11, 2012 10:46 PM

This is completely acceptable in the state of Washington.

24. sarkent says: Jul 12, 2012 12:15 AM

Hasselbeck has always been a pro and I think has been realistic about the situation with the Titans. He knows its just the last few years of his career.

25. mesta1 says: Jul 12, 2012 12:30 AM

I never knew Matt was like that, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

26. alonestartexan says: Jul 12, 2012 12:56 AM

If he loves him so much, why doesn’t he marry him ?

27. nflfan877 says: Jul 12, 2012 3:00 AM

One of most underrated players of this generation.

28. wikipediasaidso says: Jul 12, 2012 3:08 AM

These are both great character guys and I couldn’t have more respect for Hasselbeck’s handling of everything on and off the field since he got to TN (including Bud Adams and his Peyton Manning dalliance). Locker is a very grounded, mature kid — a welcome change after the Vince Young childish tantrums — and is a lot of fun to watch on the field.

May the best QB win, and it will be a nice feeling knowing the other guy is waiting in the wings if/when they need him this year, too.

29. CKL says: Jul 12, 2012 6:15 AM

There are many more good guys than bad in the NFL and Hass and Locker are the former.
    I’ve heard some of their comments about their relationship and they are 100% sincere sounding to me. I’m sure that when Locker’s career is close to the end he will be the same way as Hass is now.

30. paychrisjohnson28 says: Jul 12, 2012 6:41 AM

I am a Titans fan and an Oilers fan before that. The issue with Jake Locker is this, his rookie year 51.2% of his passes completed which is close to the same completion percentage he had in college, that is Tim Tebow-esque and until he increases that he cannot be a consistent winning Quarterback in the National Football League. Yes, Hasselbeck has a weaker arm in all probability but he completes close to 60 % of his passes. Accuracy is the name of the game as a QB in the NFL.

31. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jul 12, 2012 6:52 AM

Hasselbeck>Matt Flynn, TJack

32. zeke2517 says: Jul 12, 2012 7:52 AM

I thought this was going to be about one of those high security combination locks. This sucks.

33. gatorfanssukok says: Jul 12, 2012 5:06 PM

Write it up now. Matt starts this year because the titans are the most conservative/boring team in the nfl. And i say that as a huge titans fan. We go 0-4, 1-5 and midway through the season jake takes over and ALMOST gets us into the playoffs.