Brandon Jacobs: Difference in staying with Giants was small

Brandon Jacobs AP

The Giants cut Brandon Jacobs in March when the two sides couldn’t agree on the appropriate degree of pay cut.

Jacobs said Wednesday the difference was fairly small.

Appearing on Jim Rome’s humbly titled show ROME on CBS Sports Network, Jacobs said “It was just money, that’s all it was, a couple hundred thousand.”

The veteran running back was due to make $4.4 million in base salary, with a $500,000 roster bonus. Jacobs said he was willing to take less, but after they couldn’t agree, he was released and the 49ers signed him to a one-year, $2 million deal.

Jacobs told Rome he didn’t want to leave the Giants, calling it “the nature of the business.”

When Rome asked: “For a couple hundred thousand bucks, wouldn’t you want to stay there? Wouldn’t they want you there?,” Jacobs replied: “You would think so.”

“I’m in a great place [now],” Jacobs said. “I’m not happy about it, but I’ve been there for seven years, won two Super Bowls.

“I wish I could have stayed, but I’m not complaining about where I am now, not at all.”

Jacobs, who turned 30 last week, probably shouldn’t complain. Pay cut or not, not too many backs his age are making the kind of money he’s making, much less with the opportunity to do so for a contender.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
16 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs: Difference in staying with Giants was small”
  1. chazzmon says: Jul 12, 2012 11:36 AM

Not sure how much playing time he’ll get unless Gore & Hunter get hurt. He should be very happy he has a job.

2. pixelito says: Jul 12, 2012 11:36 AM

He’s 6’4″ 260 LBs and 30 years old…. We loved him in NY, but anyone with half a brain knows that Jacobs career is over.

3. cali49er707 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:39 AM

you think he cant wait until the giants & 9ERS meet this season, his knowledge of the giants plan of attack in last years 2meetings & his knowledge of OC kevin gilbrides offensive playbook, sets, & personnel packages should help when the 9ERS see the giants this season!! payback is on his mind, every 9ER fan, and most importantly that 49ER locker room!!

4. agelardi says: Jul 12, 2012 11:39 AM

This guy is so full of it. All he’s done the past 2 years is complain and threaten to leave the Giants. Now that he got the boot from the SB Champs and for about $2 mil less, he “didn’t want to leave the Giants”. I used to be a fan of this guy but his attitude stinks. And don’t bring up that thing with the kid, that was all PR.

5. catfish252 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:41 AM

Thank you for your service to the G-Men Brandon, I for one wish they had kept you.

6. johnnyjagfan says: Jul 12, 2012 11:56 AM

Goal line vulture for you Gore owners.

7. realdealsteel says: Jul 12, 2012 12:21 PM

Jacobs runs like a girl between the tackles unless it is a gaping hole.

8. rdly49ers says: Jul 12, 2012 12:36 PM

All I gotta say is Go Niners…

9. losntina69 says: Jul 12, 2012 12:50 PM

Yes Jacobs thank you for being a 260lb marshmallow. Thank you for being such a mediocre RB and the best highlight of your career is when you trucked LaRon let me celebrate after every big hit that i make, even if my team is losing 45-0 Landry. So yes thank you.

10. bigbluefan56 says: Jul 12, 2012 2:07 PM

losntina69 says:
    Jul 12, 2012 12:50 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were a couple memorable trucks of some Eagles defenders that were somewhat memorable. But the one thing that sticks out in my mind were his words when he was drafted, “I will not be denied 1 yard in the NFL” (or something along those lines)… I am just as excited to see him go as I was to see him drated. Thank you BJ, and best of luck to you…….

11. granadafan says: Jul 12, 2012 5:01 PM

So, he wouldn’t compromise over a few hundred thousand dollars and now lost over 2 million when he signed with the Niners. Great negotiating there, Brandon.

Still, I’m glad my Niners were able to pick him up.

12. valman61 says: Jul 12, 2012 9:01 PM

I think some of you misunderstood. The giants were not going to pay him the 4.4 million. They offered him a few hundred thousand less than the niners and he took the highest offer. It seems to me he was disappointed that for a few hundred thousand, the team he spent six seasons and won two superbowls with let him walk.

13. bigbluefan1 says: Jul 13, 2012 6:28 AM

cali49er707 says:Jul 12, 2012 11:39 AM

_________________________________
    Why would you think the playbook would be the same and even if it were do you think BJ is smart enough to remember it?

Payback for what? Out playing you when it really mattered?

We have Eli and you have Alex
    Enough said

14. illbillgiantz4lif says: Jul 13, 2012 8:43 AM

Is this true? Because it sounds like he talked himself out of 2-million dollars.

15. bubba9er says: Jul 13, 2012 10:43 AM

Hard to believe he got more money with SF than the Giants were offering him. That is a pretty big pay cut percentage wise. From 4.4 mil with 500k bonus to $2 mil? Does he think he has a better chance to play in SF? Did he even think about this? I doubt he makes the roster in the end.

16. bosspower says: Jul 14, 2012 11:20 AM

The Giants scout team was well aware of the draft class of Running Backs coming out this yr. They knew that Lowballing Jacobs would force him to leave and they were free to draft a Stud RB in 1st RD. Osi is on the chopping block next season as the Giants already kno DE’s are coming out high on the draft boards next YR and OSi is gone. Reese is not keeping guys around past their primes. He’s contending and Rebuilding at the same time. Cant wait for the Giants-49ers game, I want Moss complaining and quitting on team after that L. SF-NY Championship game on East coast this YR.