Michael Vick: I’ve never been this excited for a season

Michael Vick, Mike Kafka, Vince Young AP

For NFL players, sweating through August practices is probably the least fun part of the job. But Eagles quarterback Michael Vick says this year, he’s excited about that part of it.

Vick told the Philadelphia Daily News that there’s so much optimism inside the Eagles’ locker room that he can’t wait to get there.

Usually I don’t want to go camp,” Vick said. “That part I will admit. But this year, I feel like we’re going to have fun with it. We’re going to really enjoy it and make the most out of it. I’m excited. Like I said, I have never been this excited for a season.”

Last year the Eagles were disastrously labeled the Dream Team by Vince Young, but this year there seems to be a quieter confidence about the team, with the players seeming to believe that they’re going to have the kind of team in 2012 that everyone in Philadelphia hoped they’d have in 2011.

“We understand what is at stake,” Vick said. “We know and we’re excited about it. That is what it’s all about.”

Vick said he can feel the enthusiasm from the fans in Philadelphia as well.

“It would mean so much for me to give this city what they deserve,” Vick said. “And that is why I work as hard as I have been working, why my focus is different now, why I am a different person and a different quarterback right now.”

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Michael Vick: I’ve never been this excited for a season”
  1. bigbluenationdb says: Jul 12, 2012 11:32 AM

I think I have heard this same song coming out of Philly for the past decade. They will come up small again this year.

Vick will miss 4-6 games with an injury.

Reid will forget he has one of the best RBs in the NFL and throw the ball 45+ times a game. He doesn’t have a QB smart enough to throw that many times.

Reid will throw on 3rd and 4th down in short yardage sitituation instead of handing off to McCoy.

D Jackson is nothing more then a glorified punt returner and they have no left tackle.

2. snowpea84 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:37 AM

How is it that every year, “This is the big year.” Yet, nothing changes. It’s almost like he’s all talk.

3. jbell33139 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:38 AM

Heard the same song coming out of Philly? You must have them confused w Dallas.

Eagles win the division this year. Book it.

4. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jul 12, 2012 11:40 AM

He continued, “I can’t wait to see the Packers win the Super Bowl.”

5. chazzmon says: Jul 12, 2012 11:42 AM

If Vick stays upright the Offense should be fine. The defense however needs to either scrap the wide nine or play it better than last year.

6. jetcity87 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:44 AM

Wow grow the f**k up! I’m not even a philly fan but this team us going to be great this year and its bc of everything u just mentioned…

7. burnzy32 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:46 AM

oh your 13th season in your career and your just NOW getting excited…..they need to change the NFC East to the NFC HYPE division….the team that flys under the radar always wins it.

8. rgb2425 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:46 AM

Haters gonna hate.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!

9. rc33 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:48 AM

If last year’s “Dream Team” couldn’t get it done…

10. eaglestateofmind415 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:49 AM

2012-2013 Season NFC EAST.

1. EAGLES (14-2)
    2. COWBOYS (10-6)
    3. REDSKINS (8-8)
    4. GIANTS (7-9)

And the only reason I don’t predict the eagle 15-1 is because they’ll probably sit their starters week 16-17. I know the predictions might be a head scratcher everybody but its a whole new year. I’ve been doing my homework. It’s like no one would ever thought the 49ers would have a year that they had last year. ONLY IF VICK CAN STAY HEALTHY.

11. jbell33139 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:50 AM

Their defense is going to be NAS-T!

Fletcher Cox?

Jason Babin?

Trent Cole?

Brandon Graham?

DRC & Nnamdi?

Demeco Ryans?

Cullen Jenkins?

The Eagles D is gonna be tight this year.

12. noahbird says: Jul 12, 2012 11:50 AM

As a lifelong Phins fan, I believe the Eagles are going to be a beast on the NFC. Vick has to play safer for that to happen.

13. rahavort says: Jul 12, 2012 11:51 AM

So does this mean he is more excited than the season when the Eagles were the so-called “Dream Team”??

14. kevsright says: Jul 12, 2012 11:52 AM

“Give the city what it deserves…”
    What, the one-finger salute? Oh wait, that was Atlanta. :mrgreen:
    Get lost, Bad Newz!

15. specialteamsposter says: Jul 12, 2012 11:54 AM

“I’m so excited I could kill a dog!” exclaimed Michael Vick before quickly correcting himself. “I mean, I’m so excited to be part of his part this proud organization and great city….um, where’s Coach Dungy…help me out here…somebody…”

16. mancave001 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:54 AM

chazzmon says:
    Jul 12, 2012 11:42 AM

———————–

The defense has been vastly improved. The Wide 9 was tightened up and was much better last year. The linebacker situation will be much better. The D-line was very good last year, and will be excellent this year.

As someone that was calling for Reid and Castillo to go, I feel very optimistic about this year. There is a sense of urgency amongst the team and its fans. I’m prepared for Andy to fall back into the old Andy, but so far all indications are a lot of things have changed. We’ll see.

17. foul83 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:54 AM

10-6. Tough division.

18. mancave001 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:55 AM

*Much better at the END of last year. That’s what I meant.

19. whodeyinpa says: Jul 12, 2012 11:56 AM

“And Vick thinks the Eagles will be a very different team from last season’s 8-8 disappointment.”

I agree. I thought it was pretty disappointing that they won a whole 8 games. That was a little too high for them.

20. wikipediasaidso says: Jul 12, 2012 12:05 PM

Not an Eagles fan at all, but…seems like last year, they were set up for failure by having such a great team “on paper” with all the related media attention from the free agency splash (thanks, Vince!), but too little time to get everything to jell because of the lockout. It showed.

This year? I think their chances are much better of getting the most out of their talent. Couldn’t care less if they win or lose, but I do think they’ll be interesting to watch.

21. skinsrock says: Jul 12, 2012 12:06 PM

I haven’t been this excited in a long time either… RGIII gonna tear it up!

22. midnightgreen12 says: Jul 12, 2012 12:08 PM

U people make me laugh at least some of u the Birds came together last season at the end and loaded up in the off season through the draft and free agency… D.Bell will be fine at LT and Shady is happy and ready to run all over the Gmen and the rest of the NFL like last year lol.. They have a full off season with what is prolly the most hungry team coming in this season I know we say it every year but it’s only because we’re loyal fans but in all the years as a fan and in the Reid era this is the most talented and most dangerous team!!!!

23. BigBeachBall says: Jul 12, 2012 12:18 PM

Why do people post on this board if their is no potential to have a conversation with anyone? As i post this, I realize that even if I do get a response, I’ll have to sift through miles of comments just to see it?

24. upyoursnfu says: Jul 12, 2012 12:20 PM

Another year without a Superbowl ring. Book it!

25. kidpresentable says: Jul 12, 2012 12:20 PM

@ eaglestateofmind41

Picking the Eagles to win the division, that’s fine. I can see it. Picking 14 wins? That’s stretching it.

They’re better than 8-8, but six games better? Without a LT? Aside from their division – which is tough – they have to face the Ravens, Steelers, Lions, Falcons, and Saints. So with those teams and with two games against each of the Giants and Cowboys, you’re predicting 2 losses? Andy Reid’s clock management is good for 3 losses by itself, and that’s not even including the playoffs.

Where you lose credibility is picking the Giants to finish lower than the Redskins. Being a fan is good, being delusional is not.

26. hooahitsnotatomthing says: Jul 12, 2012 12:21 PM

I can totally understand why there is a lot of excitement for the Eagles this year except for two huge reasons:

1.) Vick – He makes or breaks the offense. He HAS to stay healthy. Missing Peters (I am a bears fan, sorry if I missed the name) at the LT position could be a factor to his health. Also, he isn’t a great pocket passer. The NFL’s D-Lines have improved exponentially over the last 5 years. With that, he is confined to the pocket more and more.

2.) Defense -There is absolutely no way you can deny the individual talent on the defense. You can deny the talent of the DC, though. It is like having a nice new Ferrari, but the person driving it is a 15 year old kid with a learners permit.

The Eagles are very talented. No doubt. We will see what a full offseason can do for them.

27. everyonethinksitimsayingit says: Jul 12, 2012 12:47 PM

Still have to laugh at old footage of all the talking heads lotting Vick in with Brady, Brees, Manning, etc. as an elite qb two years ago. Funny how Matt Ryan and Romo have their playoff records brought up constantly, but no one ever talks about Vick (2-3). Has and will always be fantasy football’s best friend, but if you want your team to win a game when its win or go home, please look elsewhere..

28. Scott says: Jul 12, 2012 12:54 PM

This is the same thing every year. Eagles fans say Reid has his strongest squad ever and he is going to get the most out of their talent. Well last I checked, the Eagles have never won a Super Bowl and there is no reason to think this season will be any different.

Most talented team ? More like most overrated team. Maybe they sneak into the playoffs, but I suspect the Eagles will blow it when it most counts…just like always.

29. lionsownyou says: Jul 12, 2012 1:03 PM

I think if i never read the completely ignorant/unintelligent phrase “haters gonna hate” again on this site it would still be too soon.

30. larrydavid7000 says: Jul 12, 2012 1:04 PM

hey dog killer be careful on what you wish for. ruf ruf.!!!!!

31. kmiller9959 says: Jul 12, 2012 1:15 PM

It’s the same every year with this team. They are always the biggest hype in the summer yet never manage to come even remotely close to what they and their delusional fanbase predicts.

It’s way too tough of a division for Vick to be talking about improving upon last year’s record, especially when the cellar-dwellers picked up a potential franchise QB. You could be looking at the Eagles in last place for all we know.

32. toekramp says: Jul 12, 2012 1:22 PM

I believe the NFC East is the most exciting division this year. And I say that as an AFC North fan.

33. weepingjebus says: Jul 12, 2012 1:35 PM

It’s so cute when this dead-eyed husk pretends to have human emotions.

34. mancave001 says: Jul 12, 2012 1:41 PM

Scott says:
    Jul 12, 2012 12:54 PM

————————————-

It’s not “the same thing” every year. Eagles fans have been screaming about a roster assembled on the cheap for years. It was only last year where we thought something had changed. But with all the changes, the lockout and some bad luck thrown in, it didn’t go well.

This year does feel different from a fan’s perspective. There have been big changes for the better, from Joe Banner departing, to DeMeco Ryans and Fletcher Cox, to getting Shady and DeSean signed, to Andy Reid losing 60 pounds (that’s big…it’s like a week of cheesesteaks for him!).

But there is something more: The attitude of the fans and players themselves. There is is this cautious optimism, this urgency that I’ve never seen before with this team. Last year it was “we should be better” and “we are better than this.” In the McNutts era, it was all just a game. But this feels different. I think the players are are determined not to repeat last year’s mistakes and attitudes.

All in all, I must say that with all the frustrations of being an Eagles fan, it’s nice to be a fan where 8-8 is considered “a disaster.” You should see what that’s like when one of your best friends is a Cleveland Browns fan. :)

35. bigbluenationdb says: Jul 12, 2012 1:44 PM

For idoit Eagles fan above to predict the Giants will go 7-9 is crazy. The Giants didn’t make any big time moves in free agency because they didn’t have to. The Giants played an entire season with missing pieces on defense and offense but once they got most of those pieces back and healthy they smashed everyone from that point on.

Philly = paper champs.

The Giants are the only team in the division that hasn’t caught the paper champ virus. How many times do we have to hear Dallas or Philly has the most talent but its the same song every year.

Giants 10-6
    Dallas 9-7
    Philly 9-7
    Washington 5-11

This will be the most competitive division in football this year. The difference being the Giants have a better coach and QB then the other teams in the division.

36. pixelito says: Jul 12, 2012 1:44 PM

The more the Eagles talk, the better the Giants will be.

37. bigkeev124 says: Jul 12, 2012 1:45 PM

To everyone who says this is same ole song or you hear this every year out of philly, Please tell me in Vicks 3 years with this team, youve heard him say he was excited about training camp as an Eagle. Its funny how the people talkin are mostly NFC East Fans whom cannot be at the Eagles regardless of how the season ended. He feels the team is special and as the QB he should feel that way and for Eagles fans this is a plesant surprise to hear optimism and excitement out of him. Vicks 3 years in wiht the Eagles what he did as a Falcon can stay with the Falcons and so far he has had one good year and a bad one, when he has more seasons under his belt then judge. He is compared to those who have been in theyre systems and produced nothing from an overhyped Matty Ice or a Cowboys Team that is suppose to win the division every year..overhyped team and its winless QB!! Eagles is not even the most talented team and if the media speaks on them then its the media not the locker room. kill ya self for speaking falsely

38. swingondeesenuts says: Jul 12, 2012 1:50 PM

Uh, didn’t he say that last season about the “Dream Team”?

Sadly Vick doesn’t realize that HE is the main reason the Eagles won’t get past the 2nd round of the playoffs (if they are lucky). The only way the Eagles can win with Vick at QB is for Reid to completely change his offense to a run first with Shady McCoy. Considering Reid has NEVER changed his coaching style, why should we think he will now?

39. 91devinhester23 says: Jul 12, 2012 1:54 PM

I’m excited too. Once the eagles d finally got their act together near the end of last season and vick got healthy they just absolutely mauled teams. They’ve only gotten better since then, paid their stars and signed new ones.

40. bigkeev124 says: Jul 12, 2012 2:01 PM

No he didnt say that nor did he use the words dream team, as a matter of fact no one but Vince Young used those words and the media gave yall the fuel to continue it as if it was a team thing. He was optimistic and excited about the team. The statment is and again people choose to see what they want. He said he is excited to get to and go thru camp.

41. theralph2012 says: Jul 12, 2012 2:11 PM

I’m so tired of everyone talking about how stacked the NFC east is, you take out the Giants and they haven’t had a super bowl winner since the early 90s. Most hyped division? Absolutely. Most airtime on terrible shows like First take? Definitely. But the fact is any team that can get beat by the Redskins is terrible, and I’m pretty sure that will happen to all 4 of these teams, including the skins who will inevitably beat themselves.

42. jucam1 says: Jul 12, 2012 2:19 PM

So many “key board heroes” today, all of you judging Vick even though he served his time…. It’s cute how Skins fans think they’re going to be good, i feel bad for them, Eagles have to deal with Reid, but you have the Shanahan’s…. …. The Giants are the champs so they can say what they will, the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as they think they are…. And what’s Vick supposed to say?… What hype this year?… The question was “Are you excited for the upcoming season?”… If he doesn’t act motivated he get’s taken down in the media…. I’m sure the Eagles are gonna have a great season, but whether they win the whole thing or not, NO ONE on this team is talking smack, and if you want to make your pathetic self feel better by judging and talking trash…. Go ahead, Birds are gonna win the division either way….

43. foul83 says: Jul 12, 2012 2:21 PM

Come to think of it, when, not if Vick goes down, they don’t have a backup. So if Vick’s in there for 12 games, they better go 10-2 or 11-1 with him under centre.

They have scary speed all over the field, but I don’t think they utilize it well. Andy Reid doesn’t know what do do on 3rd and short.

44. artvan15 says: Jul 12, 2012 3:30 PM

Once he takes his first hit this season he won’t be so excited.

45. mikexzilla says: Jul 12, 2012 3:33 PM

is everyone forgetting that the eagles signed Demetrius bell? (sp might be wrong idaf) its not like we have winston justice at LT (oh god remembering that giants game gives me the goosebumps..) anyways eagles win division if vick stays healthy at 12-4 if vicks injured we still manage to go 8-8 and get a new QB & coach its a win win situation

46. njbucsfan says: Jul 12, 2012 9:53 PM

Boycott. Andy Reid is fat.

47. eaglestateofmind415 says: Jul 12, 2012 10:31 PM

@ BigBlueNation

I’m an eagles fan. Its all what our heart sometimes tell us if your a philly fan you would feel the same way believe me. If I was a Giants fan I’d prolly feel the same about my team. But we all have our opinions. Call me an idiot fine, We’ll see who has the last laugh. Vick is injure prone I admit that.. But who the hell will play QB if ELI goes down.. I have no idea who is the backup but I doubt our backup is better than the Giants backup. Every team will be gunning for the champs this year thats why I had them 7-9.

48. shizer16 says: Jul 12, 2012 11:10 PM

To all the ignorant fools on here that still do not know what VY said when he joined Philly. He told the reporters it was a “dream situation” to play in Philadelphia and the media took it out of context. Get your facts straight and stop living in last off season’s BS.

49. jfinn5 says: Jul 13, 2012 1:03 AM

That SB trophy case will stay empty for another year. Sick Vick!

50. phillyphan83 says: Jul 13, 2012 4:04 AM

I love how some of you give the reason of having a stacked division for why they won’t be good. last year they were 8-8 but still 5-1 vs. the NFC East. They OWNED the division in a year they had all the cards stacked against them. There were PLENTY of Philly fans that knew they made too many changes in a lockout year to not have it effect them. As for saying its laughable the Giants would be worse than Wash and won’t had a good record/make the playoffs…They were BARELY 9-7 last year and 1 play away from not even making the playoffs, where they simply got hot at the right time. They were by no means dominant and I also don’t think they will make the playoffs. Don’t forget, as defending champs they will get every team’s A game every week and wont be able to sustain that all year.

Also, thanks Michael David Smith for adding to the whole problem with the Dream Team statement…Vince Young did NOT call them the Dream Team, he called them A dream team for him to be going to. Two COMPLETELY different statements. This is the problem with the media, they’re completely unreliable.

51. bigkeev124 says: Jul 13, 2012 6:47 AM

Here is a fact, the Giants won the super bowl….. after going 9-7. Here is a fact the Eagles went 5-1 in the division. Here is a fact, The redskins suck… here is a fact the Cowboys are always winning the division when the season starts, if you believe the media. Fact, i agree with “Shizer” who put the fact of what VY Said. Another fact, if you read this statement by Vick above, he was talking about enjoying camp and excited to be at camp for the 1st time in his career. Fact and I know this personally, Vick didnt kill any or a dog, he simply took the fall for friends and family who would serve longer cause he could afford too. Fact Vick’s playoff record is from the Falcons days. Fact Vick has played QB 2 seasons for the Eagles one bad, one good. Not really sure what you all judging him on. No team in the NFL has backup that can lead them to the SB let alone the playoffs if your QB goes down. Lets talk actual reality and not cause you hate the Eagles or Vick. I hate the Cowboys but their team is not to be played with or taken lightly. Would never say they suck on the Redskins, Dolphins, Colts and Jville do that well…