Ravens willing to wait three years to see Michael McAdoo play

michaelmcadoo-e1314067104391 Getty Images

By the time Michael McAdoo is well again, it will be three years since he’s played football.

But the Ravens are perfectly willing to wait to give him another chance.

The pass-rushing outside linebacker sat out 2010 because of NCAA violations at North Carolina and last year on injured reserve with a knee injury. That’s where he’ll be again this year after tearing his Achilles in offseason workouts.

“I finally had a chance to get out there on the field to prove myself,” McAdoo told the Ravens’ official website. “I thought it was going well, getting the hang of the plays, getting in the system, and getting some extra eyes and extra looks. Then for me to go down, it just hurt.

“I realize that and all I can do is keep fighting. I can’t give up just because I have an injury. I can’t feel sorry for myself because nobody else is going to feel sorry for me.”

For their part, the Ravens have seen enough potential that they’re willing to wait.

“He’s not a guy we’ll give up on,” coach John Harbaugh said. “He’s just going to be a project for us. He’s going to get another year in the weight room and in the meetings and try to see if he can be a player next year.”

McAdoo just turned 22 years old, and showed flashes at UNC that he could be a pass-rusher. That’s a rare enough commodity that teams are willing to wait.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Ravens willing to wait three years to see Michael McAdoo play”
  1. clavette says: Jul 13, 2012 9:46 AM

hate seeing talented guys getting injured and not getting a chance to show what theyve got.

im really looking forward to watching marvin austin who is a similiar player who was suspended at UNC and missed all of last year as well

2. steeelfann says: Jul 13, 2012 9:51 AM

One year out NCAA violations
    One year out with knee injury
    Next year tears achilles

I am betting NO.

3. sixjak says: Jul 13, 2012 9:52 AM

Please hurry, September.

4. moscratch13 says: Jul 13, 2012 10:21 AM

If John Harbaugh is willing to wait then is worth the wait!!!!!

5. braven4evr says: Jul 13, 2012 10:28 AM

Hell the Orioles are still waiting for Brian Roberts, so what the heck…

6. naanunaanu says: Jul 13, 2012 10:35 AM

the Ravens are a Class Franchise, taking their time with Kindle and McAdoo, its the right thing to do

7. tsizzlehotpiss says: Jul 13, 2012 10:41 AM

We need to dump McAdoo. He already had question marks coming out of UNC because he wasn’t a full-time starter on defense and had serious NCAA problems. Now he’s blown out a knee and torn his acchilles having abrely set foot on a football field in 3 years. Some things just aren’t meant to be.

8. phreakin says: Jul 13, 2012 11:05 AM

I didn’t give the Ravens too much credit for paying Suggs after his injury because I felt like they were obligated to. But this is a class move by them. Granted, dude is injury prone and they’re hoping to still salvage something out of it but still a class move.