Vick promises to protect himself

610x-1 AP

Since entering the NFL in 2001, Eagles quarterback Mike Vick has appeared in all 16 games only once, during his final season with the Falcons in 2006.  Five years later, in his first season as the full-time starter in Philadelphia, Vick missed three games due to injury.

Amid ongoing criticism that his playing style exposes Vick to an unnecessary risk of injury, Vick made a promise to Eagles fans during a Friday appearance on The Mike Missanelli Show on 97.5 The Fan in Philadelphia.

“I want to make a promise to all my fans that I’m going to make a conscious effort, a cognitive effort, to make sure that I protect myself,” Vick said.  “And you know my motto has been this for the last six months, and I repeatedly said to myself:  ‘Get the next yard on the next play.’  You know, whether I’m running the football or scrambling or trying to do something improvising.  Get the next yard on the next play.  That’s why you have second down and third down, and possibly fourth down.  So you can give yourself opportunity.

“If you’re not on the field, then you don’t have that chance.  So I just want to give myself ample opportunity.  Praying to God that I can play sixteen games.  I know that’s the key to the season.  I know deep down in my heart.   And even though I believe in the players behind me, the players around me, I know what I can do and I know what I can bring to the table each and every Sunday, so I know it’s paramount that I’m out on the field.”

One way to protect himself would be to learn how to slide.  He supposedly can’t, but if far, far lesser athletes easily can, maybe he’s not the “uncanny” talent he thinks he is.

And while his comments make sense, if he thinks to much about getting injured, some would say he’s more likely to get injured.  Vick just needs to play smart, knowing when to throw the ball away and when to hit the deck in the pocket and when to run out of bounds and when to slide or otherwise choose colliding with the ground over colliding with another player moving in the opposite direction to Vick.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Vick promises to protect himself”
  1. clu1perceiver says: Jul 13, 2012 7:01 PM

Vick has been more than a step slow when it comes to recognizing what things he needs to work on to be a better player. As far as sliding is concerned, show some courage and practice the technique.

2. jkaflagg says: Jul 13, 2012 7:10 PM

Once he starts playing like that, he’s not Michael Vick anymore….will be interesting to see if he can really be a top-tier QB without relying on his still impressive movement skills…..

3. packernut74 says: Jul 13, 2012 7:11 PM

I’m just mesmerized he knows the words conscious & cognitive….

4. monkeyhateclean says: Jul 13, 2012 7:19 PM

No word on dogs.

5. damon089 says: Jul 13, 2012 7:23 PM

I say step out of bounds over sliding…

6. gpete1962 says: Jul 13, 2012 7:35 PM

Sorry Eagle fans, He just can’t help himself !!!

7. trefkennedy says: Jul 13, 2012 7:42 PM

He’s gonna miss 4-5 games this season

8. cablelayer says: Jul 13, 2012 7:44 PM

Vick can’t protect himself if you tie him to the rape stand like what he did to the dogs.

9. yinzgotsix says: Jul 13, 2012 7:44 PM

Still the best QB representing the commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

10. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 13, 2012 7:46 PM

Took Vick ten years to understand what Blaine Gabbert knew from the moment he arrived. Live to fight another day.

11. rekingcrew says: Jul 13, 2012 7:48 PM

He’s buying a guard dog.

12. chazzmon says: Jul 13, 2012 7:59 PM

Once Donovan stopped moving around he went from the Pro Bowl to the toilet bowl and out of the league. Mike didn’t get famous trying to be Peyton.

13. backindasaddle says: Jul 13, 2012 8:01 PM

“One way to protect himself would be to learn how to slide. He supposedly can’t, but if far, far lesser athletes easily can, maybe he’s not the “uncanny” talent he thinks he is.”
    —————————————————————————————–

That’s a mental issue and when it comes to that….. Vick is a million dollar athlete ruled by a 2 dollar brain.

14. mjkelly77 says: Jul 13, 2012 8:10 PM

__________________

So he’s going to make a “cognitive effort” to throw the ball away for more incompletions and interceptions before he gets hit?

15. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 13, 2012 8:12 PM

man, will yal leave the dog comments alone, he did his time, and let it go!!! most of yal let dogs lick peanut butter off of yals private back in the day, and god has forgave yal, so let it go!!!!

16. east96st says: Jul 13, 2012 8:19 PM

The guy has been in five playoff games in nine seasons and won TWO. TWO playoff games. Why is he even a topic of discussion? Wake me when he wins in February. Tom Brady and Eli Manning have a .727 winning percentage in the postseason. Roethlisberger has .714. All three have played in double digit number of playoff games. Vick is .400 in five games. Which guy would you REALLY want to lead your team onto the field in January?

17. mistersmith22 says: Jul 13, 2012 8:31 PM

How can you possibly not be physically able to slide? What’s that about? If every baseball player can figure it out, certainly Vick can.

18. Stiller43 says: Jul 13, 2012 8:34 PM

This guys a POS

19. thevza says: Jul 13, 2012 8:37 PM

Too bad he never gave his dozens of dogs an opportunity to protect themselves from danger.

20. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 13, 2012 8:38 PM

Above all else, Reid and the offensive coordinator need to utilize passing schemes that get the ball out of Vick’s hands quicker. The weaponry Philly possesses can take simple, quick routes and turn them into homerun plays for big yardage. Also, their team will benefit from returning to a screen-happy offense similar to the days of Brian Westbrook. Getting Lesean McCoy into open space rather than bashing him up the middle all season will help to prolong his health. Gadget plays and circus-stunts should take a backseat to developing a systematic, efficient offensive attack that leads to more methodical, clock-eating drives down the field.

21. t16rich says: Jul 13, 2012 8:50 PM

Trojan man!!!

22. beerbudsnbevo says: Jul 13, 2012 8:57 PM

Ron Mexico should have protected himself….

23. vbe2 says: Jul 13, 2012 9:03 PM

==============================

While this is completely true, you should also note that he had to leave that 16th game due to being injured. If I recall, he left right directly after halftime, so he played the first half and then a play or two after halftime. Then was done for the rest of his career (as far as Atlanta was concerned).

24. brownsfn says: Jul 13, 2012 9:15 PM

Scumbag…

25. brintfatre says: Jul 13, 2012 9:21 PM

Translation= After each loss he will “make a conscious effort, a cognitive effort, to make sure that I protect myself” in the press conference.

26. ninozlatino says: Jul 13, 2012 9:30 PM

It’s all good. There is nobody out there that the Birds could have that’s better. Even with Fitzgerald, Kolb was exposed. We ride or die wit’ Mike Vick regardless of how he speaks. Can’t be any worse than Charlie Manuel..smh.

27. benjiradio says: Jul 13, 2012 9:35 PM

Read: Don’t draft me for Fantasy Football.

28. tommyribs says: Jul 13, 2012 9:56 PM

If Vick could harness all his talents and focus like Steve Young was eventually able to do, he would be up there with Rodgers and Brees and the other top guys.

He is getting much better under Andy Reid, but he should be further along, frankly at this point in his time with the Eagles.

I think this is a very, very important year for him.

29. bigbluefan1 says: Jul 13, 2012 9:59 PM

packernut74 says:Jul 13, 2012 7:11 PM

I’m just mesmerized he knows the words conscious & cognitive….
    ____________________________

You beat me to it

I know he has been talking to a lot of schools maybe he has attended an english class or two

30. jwayne111 says: Jul 13, 2012 10:12 PM

As a longtime Falcon fan – several good comments. Mikes skill is in his run instinct and mobility. He can study film til blue in face. When a lineman nears him hes off to the races.

16 games – unfortunately NO

31. cooklynn17 says: Jul 13, 2012 10:24 PM

Really? What about your offensive line? No way he makes it through the season, especially playing in the NFC East.

32. inthezone4 says: Jul 13, 2012 11:06 PM

Vick going to play in the dawg pound this year! Will be interesting.

33. captfoxboro says: Jul 13, 2012 11:20 PM

Too bad Vick couldn’t have made a conscious effort to refrain from killing his dogs when they couldn’t perform to his liking.
    At least he made a cognitive effort to find some use for them ( knocked out there teeth and tied them up next to more aggressive dogs and used them as bait )
    And Goodell somehow saw fit to levee Sean Payton the same 1 year suspension ?
    Oh yah I forgot …Vick ‘s was called an indefinite suspension .
    ( yah right …2 extra games )

But…
    EVERYBODY deserves a second chance …
    right Roger ?

So Sandusky does too ?

34. phillyphan72 says: Jul 14, 2012 2:35 AM

I thought he stunk in Atlanta and my mind hasn’t changed.He had a good 10 game run when he took the job from Kolb.Thats where he peaked and I think he’s done….Andy don’t be stupid!!!! Don’t have another Vince Young on hand.I know it sounds crazy but I’d take Donny Mac over any of the clowns (Kafka,Edwards,Foles he ain’t ready)thats there now

35. forthehaters says: Jul 14, 2012 9:25 AM

The irony of all of the criticism he’s taking for running is that last year he got hurt sitting in the pocket! Mike- PLAY YOUR GAME! The job of protection for the qb is on the O linemen. Smh

36. cash804 says: Jul 14, 2012 3:49 PM

I’m salivating in anticipation of watching this broad get hammered all over the field by the NFC East.

37. phillygurl3592 says: Jul 15, 2012 6:24 PM

Yes, Vick has played in all 16 games once in his career and what happened that year? He took his team to the Championship with a lot less talent around him than he does now. It is very possible that Vick can be.dynamic and a top 5 quarterback if he stays healthy. Reid revived his career and I bet Vick would have been a consistantly top quarterback if he began his career in Philly with Reid coaching him. The potential and tools are there, people that say the potential isn’t there are bias. As for the dog comments, leave it be already, its been a whole 4 years people!