Claiborne says he’s going to camp, with or without a contract

Morris Claiborne AP

Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne, the sixth overall pick in the 2012 draft, remains unsigned, but that won’t stop him from showing up when training camp opens.

“I’ll patiently wait,” Claiborne said Friday, according to the Shreveport Times.  “I’m not in no hurry.  You hear a lot of talk about people saying I’m holding out.  No, I’m not holding out.  I’m going to camp signed or not signed.  It don’t matter.”

Claiborne is one of eight players whose rookie deals at the top of the draft are being delayed at least in part by the question of whether, if cut within the next four years, they’ll get to pocket the entire value of their contracts, undiminished by what they may earn elsewhere.

Though admirable, Claiborne’s comments give the Cowboys extra leverage.  If they merely refuse to give in, Claiborne eventually will sign.

And when he signs, he’ll be ready to go, fully recovered from wrist surgery that caused him to miss the offseason program.

“I can’t wait.  It’s been a while because of my wrist, so far so good.  It’s getting healthy and I’m ready for camp to start,” Claiborne said.

The Cowboys likely can’t wait, either, because they now know that’s the point at which Claiborne will crack.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Claiborne says he’s going to camp, with or without a contract”
  1. tbtrojan says: Jul 15, 2012 6:54 AM

“I’m not in no hurry.”

Great to see he put that free education to good use.
    Maybe the low Wonderlic wasn’t a result of a learning disability and more a case of him just being a dumb jock.

I’m shocked he didn’t follow up with the other favorite of the mentally challenged who struggle with the basics of their primary language… “I could care less when I sign.”

2. lionsfan415 says: Jul 15, 2012 7:00 AM

Claiborne is an idiot, literally it was proven.

3. olewize1 says: Jul 15, 2012 7:05 AM

let the hating begin!

4. deanvernonwormer says: Jul 15, 2012 7:15 AM

This is a man.

5. marionbarber24isgod says: Jul 15, 2012 7:18 AM

I’m pretty sure both sides are waiting for more top picks to sign. Jerry isn’t dumb, he will make sure a deal happens. Both parties for a lot of top picks are waiting to see the language of Andrew Luck’s deal.

6. gammynomnom says: Jul 15, 2012 7:34 AM

mazing you guys don’t seem to post about the other 7 of the top 8 picks who haven’t signed either.

7. mtheparrothead says: Jul 15, 2012 7:46 AM

“I’m not in no hurry”. So you’re in a hurry?

8. dccowboy says: Jul 15, 2012 7:47 AM

the difference being that Dallas rookies don’t report until July 25th, a week after most other teams open camp, so, the ‘offset’ issue will be resolved by the other teams before ‘holding out’ becomes an issue for Claiborne.

9. icdogg says: Jul 15, 2012 11:03 AM

I don’t know how or when it will be resolved but I can tell you one thing: he won’t be in camp without a completed contract.

Players say they’ll be in camp with or without a contract every year, and it sounds good, and people make a big deal out of it sometimes, but it never happens because it’s not permitted.

10. wttoolman says: Jul 15, 2012 11:04 AM

Hey tbtrojan and mtheparrothead, someday you will realize that that’s how black people talk!! Along with the other 97% of the NFL!! Have you guys ever heard the NBA players??