Jim Leonhard says he’s healthy, ready to get into a camp

Kansas City Chiefs Steve Breaston holds onto leg of New York Jets Jim Leonhard after he intercepted pass and was injured in NFL game in East Rutherford Reuters

With training camps opening soon, the guys who aren’t currently in one are beginning to sweat.

But former Jets safety Jim Leonhard said he’s still hopeful to be in a camp, after tearing his patellar tendon last December.

Leonhard told WEAU.com from his football camp at his old high school in Wisconsin he was healthy now, and ready to prove that to teams.

“I’m a free agent right now, hopefully in the next few weeks I get some workouts and get a contract,” he said. “The knee is feeling great and I am ready to go. I am getting antsy, football is right around the corner and I don’t have a team, kind of getting antsy ready to get back on that field. You just keep working, you keep grinding and good things are going to happen.

“I know I am going to be playing football somewhere this season, I just have to figure out where. I am excited for that day”

Leonhard said in April there was a “very good possibility,” he’d return to the Jets. They signed safeties LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell this offseason, but it’s likely they’d make room for Leonhard, since coach Rex Ryan has a soft spot for him.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Jim Leonhard says he’s healthy, ready to get into a camp”
  1. dangeralert says: Jul 16, 2012 8:34 AM

If the Jets think Landry or Bell will come anywhere close to replacing Leonhard, they’re insane.

2. nyjalleffingday says: Jul 16, 2012 8:41 AM

Landry and Bell will be OK, it’s Eric Smith that should have gotten the boot over Leonhard. He’s awful.

3. hepgopackgo says: Jul 16, 2012 8:59 AM

I know the Pack have some real competition this year in camp at Safety, but I think Leonard would be awesome in Green and Gold. Jimmy, stay in WI!

4. tleach34 says: Jul 16, 2012 9:21 AM

The vikings could use a player like Leonard. God knows we need help in the secondary.

On a side note to Darin Gantt – just want to say that I have really enjoyed your articles and you are a great addition to the PFT Team. Keep up the great work.

TL

5. planetcaravanlives says: Jul 16, 2012 9:26 AM

I’d love to see him back as a member of the Bills.

6. jimmysee says: Jul 16, 2012 9:32 AM

hepgopackgo says:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:59 AM

————————————————————–

We’ve been saying that ever since his days in red as a Badger at Camp Randall Stadium!

7. adrianpetersonsknee says: Jul 16, 2012 9:44 AM

He shouldn’t have to go far-assuming he is healthy. The Packers AND Vikings both could use help in the secondary.

8. phillyphan72 says: Jul 16, 2012 11:34 AM

If I’m the Eagles I’d give this guy a look

9. blue18hutthutt says: Jul 16, 2012 12:26 PM

If I’m any team that doesn’t have a Pro Bowl safety I’d look at this guy, and even if my team had one I’d still give him another look

Low-risk high-reward move especially given how hard it is to find a good safety these days