Ryan Mathews: I’m about to blow it away

Ryan+Mathews+San+Diego+Chargers+v+Denver+Broncos+Yl0A7GtAA4rl Getty Images

Chargers running back Ryan Mathews is going through his second straight offseason as the subject of much discussion.

The difference is that the discussion is more positive this time around. People inside and outside the organization have been talking Mathews up at every opportunity with the common belief being that he could be on the verge of a huge season. Mathews ran for 1,091 yards in 14 games last season, averaging 4.9 yards per carry, and Mike Tolbert’s departure should mean a heavier workload this time around.

That’s very different than the buzz last year. Everyone was talking about Mathews failing a conditioning test at the start of training camp last summer, something that Mathews knows can’t happen again. During an interview with XTRA Sports 1360 in San Diego, via SportsRadioInterviews.com, Mathews said that he’s coming to camp fit as a fiddle this time around.

“You can’t want to be the star running back and come into camp and not be able to do the conditioning test and that was my main thing is how my fans saw me and my team saw me,” Mathews said. “I don’t want to feel like that again. I had a great offseason and great OTA’s and mini camp, so I’m about to blow it away. It is going to be fun.”

If Mathews makes good on all the lofty predictions, it would mean he stayed in the lineup all year — he hasn’t done that in either of his first two seasons — and that will greatly increase the likelihood for fun in San Diego this season.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
30 Responses to “Ryan Mathews: I’m about to blow it away”
  1. larrydavid815 says: Jul 18, 2012 8:31 PM

We have heard this one before! Next thing you know he’ll be complaining about a high ankle sprain or quad.

2. rockthered1286 says: Jul 18, 2012 8:36 PM

Matthews is the RB version of Romo: always the center of conversation saying this is his year finally and he always ends up falling short of expectations. It’s a pass happy offense in San Diego and running behind McClain (who will be begging for carries by week 4) doesn’t help much either. I’d say he averages 80 yds/GM and ends up with 10 td’s in 16 games. Not terrible just not what the media is hyping him up to be.

3. howiehandles says: Jul 18, 2012 8:37 PM

At least he’s accepting responsibility. Sad that that is refreshing in a young pro athlete.

4. oside760 says: Jul 18, 2012 8:38 PM

norv turner and aj smith………… enough said

5. boltbacker says: Jul 18, 2012 8:52 PM

@oside760 Norv coached Emmit Smith and Frank Gore so he has shown that he can have great backs. AJ was around for LT, so he should be ok also.

Last year, after Dielman went down, Matthews played extremely well.

My only question is if he can stay healthy for 16 games? If he can, I expect great things from Matthews this year.

6. imthedudedude says: Jul 18, 2012 9:11 PM

Ha he’s gonna blow it away.. Talking about your cash or ACL?

7. schmitty2 says: Jul 18, 2012 9:19 PM

rockthered1286 says:
    Jul 18, 2012 8:36 PM

80 yards a game equals 1280 rushing yards not to mention the 50+ catches he will probably get. Don’t spew nonsense

8. soundsofsuccess7 says: Jul 18, 2012 9:25 PM

Doubt it. Even if you do play well, Norv will make sure you guys suck ass once more.

9. frozeninfear says: Jul 18, 2012 9:25 PM

Should be a solid second round choice.

10. raiderb69 says: Jul 18, 2012 9:30 PM

As a Raider fan I really root for this guy. He needs to BRING IT the way he used to at Fresno State. Just hope it dosent do much against us the two games we play against eachother.

11. pooflingingmonkey says: Jul 18, 2012 9:38 PM

“…my main thing is how my fans saw me…”

I think he should be a lot more concerned about how his coaches and teammates saw him, which was as an underachiever at the very least.

12. charger88 says: Jul 18, 2012 9:41 PM

Sproles > Mathews

This is coming from a diehard fan. Thanks A.J. You A$$ Clown.

13. handsofsweed says: Jul 18, 2012 9:58 PM

He was talking about partying with Elvis Dumervil this weekend.

14. matthewb57 says: Jul 18, 2012 10:14 PM

Prob means after this year when he misses half the season due to injuries the Hype surrounding this injury prone guy is gonna blow away

15. twelvehundred says: Jul 18, 2012 10:16 PM

They don’t even know.

16. BigBeachBall says: Jul 18, 2012 10:25 PM

Cant effing wait for next season…. I need to get back in that stadium pronto tonto….

17. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jul 18, 2012 10:27 PM

Raiders will shut him down week 1…maybe that will also shut him up.

18. villa41 says: Jul 18, 2012 10:31 PM

Not behind that offensive line he won’t. The poor line is the single biggest reason SD isn’t going anywhere again this season.

19. smoothrollers says: Jul 18, 2012 10:34 PM

From the “blow it away” headline I thought the story was going to be about today’s athlete in trouble with the law. Silly me!

20. buccaneerz78 says: Jul 18, 2012 10:38 PM

I won’t waste my pick on this clown again… No way he can carry the load without Tolbert…

21. wtfchiefs says: Jul 18, 2012 10:56 PM

Talk is cheap. Bet you he plays 8 games. Tops.

22. gator2006 says: Jul 18, 2012 11:05 PM

the dude,

you beat me to it. respect.

23. FinFan68 says: Jul 18, 2012 11:07 PM

This guy has talent and if you look carefully at what he said you can see that it is a bit more than self-hype or bragging. He was lazy last year and he heard about it. That embarrassed him and he said “I don’t want to feel like that again.” I believe the kid. If he stays healthy he may just lead the league in rushing. I’m not one for FF but I would take him this year.

24. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 18, 2012 11:20 PM

The guy has serious potential and obviously a decent head on his shoulders. Just gained some attention from this fantasy football addict!

25. iamthefootballjerk says: Jul 18, 2012 11:35 PM

imthedudedude says:
    Jul 18, 2012 9:11 PM
    Ha he’s gonna blow it away.. Talking about your cash or ACL?
    ==================================

My thoughts exactly. He’s right either way. He’s going to blow something.

26. boltinloudguy says: Jul 18, 2012 11:40 PM

IMO, If he stays healthy and thats a big if. He will be have the break out season they are predicting.
    Not sure comparing him to Romo is accurate, considering Mathews has been in the league for 2 years. 1 offseason his rookie intro and the other a lockout.

27. ambitoos says: Jul 18, 2012 11:46 PM

When he says blow it away, I hope he doesn’t mean vomit. We’ll see what happens.

28. tigershark49 says: Jul 18, 2012 11:56 PM

To be drafted high by an NFL team and get paid MILLIONS, to come to work out of shape is just selfish and stupid!

29. 02bucsd says: Jul 19, 2012 4:43 AM

Welcome to Ronnie Brown 2.0…..

Dude can’t stay healthy for 16 games….. Isn’t even all that great when he’s in there…. At some point you have to admit you made the wrong pick…..

He’s certainly not making anyone forget about LT…. If anything, he’s just frustrating the fan base…

30. whitemike55 says: Jul 19, 2012 8:42 AM

As a Texans fan, still very glad we didn’t draft him.

Once drafted by the Chargers he said “I’m so glad Houston didn’t pick me, I didn’t want to go there.”

Funny how things work out. We now arguably have the best RB in league. Oh, and been to the playoffs, unlike the Chargers in last 2 years since you were drafted.