Brett Favre on why he played in 2010: “First of all, the money”

NFC Championship: Minnesota Vikings v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

If Brett Favre had retired for good after the 2009 season, he would have left near the top: He had a brilliant season in Minnesota, with the best stats of his career, he led the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game, he extended his consecutive games record another 16 games, and he was one of the most respected men in the NFL.

Instead, Favre came back to the Vikings for one more season in 2010, and it was a mess: He had the worst stats of his career, the Vikings were a bad team, his consecutive games streak came to an end and his reputation was tarnished by sexual harassment accusations stemming from his year with the Jets that might not have ever become public if he hadn’t remained in the public eye.

So why did Favre return? He did it for the same reason most people do their jobs: For the money.

“First of all, the money was too good,” Favre told Deion Sanders on NFL Network. “The money was too good, and I hate to say it’s about money. But, you know, I felt the money was a lot.”

Favre initially signed a two-year, $25 million contract with the Vikings that paid him $12 million in 2009 and $13 million in 2010, but as the Vikings tried to convince him to return for the second year of that deal, they gave him a pay raise to $16.5 million that year, plus $3.5 million in incentives tied to postseason performance. That postseason performance never came, of course, and Favre told Sanders that he hadn’t expected to make the playoffs in that final year.

Favre said “it was going to be next to impossible” to have as good a year in 2010 as the Vikings had in 2009.

“Now, that’s not to say I didn’t give my all,” Favre said. “It just wasn’t to be, and I think I knew that. I really know it now.”

And Favre also knows that he’s now many millions of dollars richer than he would have been if he had retired after the 2009 season.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
82 Responses to “Brett Favre on why he played in 2010: “First of all, the money””
  1. anygivenwednesday13 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:20 PM

And not a single reader in there heart of hearts wouldn’t have done the same (minus the sending self shots of lil’Brett).

2. diesel23 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:21 PM

Douche

3. packfaninchitown says: Jul 19, 2012 9:22 PM

Second of all, they sent the three supplicants to beg my return which is only fitting…

4. folksaredumb says: Jul 19, 2012 9:23 PM

And suddenly, I like Favre even more.

5. kwf1224 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:25 PM

I am surprised. I thought it was because he wanted to beat the Packers.

6. brenenostler says: Jul 19, 2012 9:26 PM

Can’t blame him, but I would have retired after 2009. The initial reason he joined the Vikings was to beat Green Bay, and he did twice in 2009. He did not in 2010.

7. nyyjetsknicks says: Jul 19, 2012 9:28 PM

I don’t recall seeing Mississippi on Forbes most expensive zip codes. I’m pretty I can live in that flyover state with the change in most peoples couches.

8. jjrs89 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:28 PM

And in the spritz of real talk, Jenn Sterger has some top shelf tatas

9. grandpoopah says: Jul 19, 2012 9:29 PM

Brett Favre: A Caricature of Himself

10. chargerdillon says: Jul 19, 2012 9:30 PM

Agreed, honesty can do wonders for your image. Favre will always be the Packers gunslinger from the 90′s in everybodys memory

Every player out there puts their body on the line, you think any single other athelete wouldn’t have taken his deal?

11. thejuddstir says: Jul 19, 2012 9:31 PM

Hey, it’s great to hear some Brett Favre stories again, get’s sickening reading about Vilma and his Bandito’s.

12. monkeyhateclean says: Jul 19, 2012 9:33 PM

$12 mil buys a lot of flood insurance from Packer tears. Considering his first season as a Vike was the best of his illustrious career, I’d say he made the right choice.
    The Packer hate will eventually subside. They’ll retire his number and put him right next to Starr and the others. Count on it.

13. mmazzzzzz says: Jul 19, 2012 9:33 PM

Brett Favre is the most overrated athlete in the history of organized sports.

14. calizcowboyz says: Jul 19, 2012 9:35 PM

FINALLY! Thank you for your Hones-tie!

Much respect for having the “man berries” to say it.

PS..your pretty DARN good at that QB position buddy. … .. !

15. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Jul 19, 2012 9:37 PM

Favre should stop talking. He is only telling the truth and saying things we probably already know , but it’s always better to keep quiet. Most people are falsely self-righteous and judgmental and will tear him up for saying exactly what they would do too.

16. helixir1 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:38 PM

Hey Brett how bout throwing a measly mil over my way?

17. gmendynasty says: Jul 19, 2012 9:38 PM

Favre is a great, regardless of what happened. Anygivenwednesday, is that a Dark Tower reference?

18. tmw2345 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:43 PM

That’s a refreshing answer. Hardly ever do athletes enter truthfully

19. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jul 19, 2012 9:44 PM

Can’t say I blame him.

20. brintfatre says: Jul 19, 2012 9:44 PM

He always wanted to play for the Vikings.

21. zn0rseman says: Jul 19, 2012 9:45 PM

The Vikings were NOT a bad team that year.

They had almost all of their starters from the previous year returning. What killed them was two things. Injury and most importantly… schedule.

The injuries to key starters was disasterous.

The schedule… well, once I saw it I knew the Vikings would never make the playoffs.

Game 1 was @ New Orleans where the NFL officials, much like in the NFC Championship, rigged another Saints victory.

Highlights from the rest of the year were…
    @Jets
    @Packers
    vs Chicago
    @Patriots
    vs Arizona
    @Giants
    vs Cowboys
    @Eagles
    vs Dolphins
    @Chicago

I had never seen a schedule so brutal.

22. mesta1 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:47 PM

At least he was honest. Thanks Brett!

23. mattyk72 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:47 PM

Hey at least he’s being honest. Anyone who says they would have turned down that kind of jack is straight up lying.

24. drwbrsdmndsnxplntn says: Jul 19, 2012 9:48 PM

I will say first, when he came back for 2010 I couldn’t be happier. Its exactly what we needed in Minnesota, closure. The saints cheated their way into the super bowl and we wanted one more chance. We got it. Although 2010 goes down as a dissapointment, I’m glad he came back. His saying he knew he didn’t have a chance? I knew that at his first press conference to announce he was back. His eyes were low, his head kept shaking as he kept saying he couldn’t promise they’re make it back but that he owed us another shot. The exact same look on Tom Brady’s face before this last years super bowl. The look of defeat. The lack of heart. It’s all good. I’d rather see Brett Farves worst year than Tavaris Jacksons best.

I’m glad he came back. What people who aren’t Vikings fans dont understand, especially packers fans, is that Brett Farve became a Minnesota sports legend within 3 weeks of being here. Google week 3 2009 when he hit Greg Lewis for the game winning touchdown. It was simply amazing at the time. It’s harder to be a Vikings fan than any other club except the browns so, our true sports fandom has been tested on many occasion.

Green bay sucks man. We love Brett Favre in Minnesota. Probley because our state doesn’t smell like poop and we aren’t all vindictive jerks with nothing going for their lives. For real man, count your blessings. Favre was the best ever.

I’m honored to have him kik our butts for 17 years, than to come back and play for us for 2. It was a lot of fun. I’ll cherish the memories for the rest of my life.

Favre haters? You know what to do…

25. phillybirds says: Jul 19, 2012 9:51 PM

people still respect him. and hes still one of the best.

26. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:55 PM

So it had nothing to do with the 3 team captains leaving training camp, flying down to Hillbilly Heaven, stroking that ego and begging him to come back?

27. thepvyharvin says: Jul 19, 2012 9:55 PM

,,,And that folks,is honesty. Brett rules.

28. crohrbaugh says: Jul 19, 2012 9:56 PM

Farve stories still, really?

29. citizenstrange says: Jul 19, 2012 9:58 PM

Legendary bank robber Willie Sutton when asked why he robbed banks: “That’s where the money is.”

30. tdurdenlives says: Jul 19, 2012 10:01 PM

At least he’s honest.

31. jacobslatter says: Jul 19, 2012 10:03 PM

Headline should read “First of all, the money…”. The MDS way sounds just too greedmeister, therefore misleading & against journalistic integrity.

32. 1rockyracoon says: Jul 19, 2012 10:05 PM

This is what happens sometimes when an athlete tries to squeeze one more payday out of their sport. That last year was a pleasure to watch–by that time I was sick of his drama queen behavior.

33. mjkelly77 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:07 PM

__________________

That’s the same reason manning signed with Denver even though he’s done.

34. hatesycophants says: Jul 19, 2012 10:08 PM

I hate to break it to you, Michael, but Favre is many millions of dollars richer after that “extra” season and he is still near the top.

35. whatswiththehate says: Jul 19, 2012 10:10 PM

Gee..why am I not surprised. Brett Farve can say whatever he wants and it’s fine.

I’m sure if it was Terrelle or any other black players the usual crowd would be out with their usual talking points.

36. robh4marketingideas says: Jul 19, 2012 10:10 PM

Thank you for being honest and saying it was about the money. His long term legacy will not be harmed by that crappy year.

37. phillyfan4ever says: Jul 19, 2012 10:12 PM

Amazing, a guy would work….for pay

38. zoellner25 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:14 PM

Is this the king of all douches or what? I bet his old vikqueens love this quote.

39. jr4real says: Jul 19, 2012 10:18 PM

16.5M? For one year??? Hahahaha!!! I think Farve is one of the greatest players at any position of all time. But vikes were fools to pay him that much.

40. richardmb52 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:20 PM

The Bears sure appreciated that second year.

41. tapochau says: Jul 19, 2012 10:24 PM

prostitutes say the same thing

42. mybrunoblog says: Jul 19, 2012 10:25 PM

I admire his honesty. Refreshing.

43. gophins says: Jul 19, 2012 10:33 PM

While I absolutely hate Brett Favre and this sounds particularly bad coming from a professional athlete, let’s be honest. You wouldn’t work at a job you didn’t care for @ $16M / yr? I’d like to think I’d take the noble stance, but let’s be real, I’d do damn near anything to make $16M in one year (“near” anything being the operative words)…

44. raiderb69 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:34 PM

you know what.. I respect that.. at least he’s keeping it real. No need to lie about why he played. I wish I could make 10% in a year of what he got to play in 2010

45. gweez76 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:35 PM

A man went to work for the money?????

Thank goodness all of us are above that. We go to work for societies greater good.

46. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 19, 2012 10:36 PM

But why play for a dog dung team like the vikings?

Nothing good ever comes from stale air, artificial turf, artificial light, arena in Minnesota.

47. rtant2013 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:42 PM

“Oh, what’s that? You’re going to give me 16.5 million to come back?” Brett Farve ponders for a second.” Sure I’ll give it one more year” Haha who wouldn’t have done the exact same thing?? I mean really, atleast he’s honest.

48. jkr32 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:43 PM

We all would have done the same thing in a heartbeat! So all you haters shut up!

49. skoobyfl says: Jul 19, 2012 10:44 PM

Greed makes the American dream percolate.

50. caseyanthonymunoz says: Jul 19, 2012 10:44 PM

Hey, camera phones aren’t cheap.

51. tluke25 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:50 PM

You know people make such a big deal that the legends of the past knew when to hang it up and “Brett Favre just doesn’t know when to quit”. That stuff is such crap. Guys like Johnnie Unitas, Joe Montana and Dan Marino weren’t offered 20 million dollars a year to play when they were 38,39, and 4o, or they would have kept playing too.

The irony is Favre was making triple the amount of money in his final season, than when he was in his prime at age 30. The days of QB’s “knowing when to hang it up” are long gone. When someone knows they can earn 70 million by playing 3 extra seasons, it would be kind of ridiculous not to.

Now that QB’s have reached this earning potential, you can certainly expect Brady, Manning and Brees to try to play until they are 40. In fact, Brady is already quoted as saying he wants to play “10 more years” and Manning has said he wants to play “until he’s 40″.

Heck, I remember when the Rolling Stones turned 40 and the public made a big deal about old rock stars still performing on stage at that age. Today, it’s nothing to see rock stars “past their prime” still going out and doing it and more power to them. In the coming decade it won’t be a big deal that a QB plays until he’s 40 either. It will be expected.

52. claymath52 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:53 PM

I can appreciate this. That season is one of the main reasons the Vikings are so god awful now.

53. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jul 19, 2012 10:59 PM

Well he was the best old dude QB Chilly brought in.

54. esotericmindguy says: Jul 19, 2012 11:01 PM

Go away Bert.

55. doug1grohlin says: Jul 19, 2012 11:03 PM

With all the recent rules protecting QB’s, they can play till they’re 50.

56. christopher525 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:06 PM

At least he’s honest, I’d do the same thing if someone offered that money to me, you’ld be an idiot to pass that up.

57. Canyonero says: Jul 19, 2012 11:06 PM

Who cares, really? Already I just remember him in a Packer uniform throwing 4 TD games on MNF

+1 what tluke25 said

58. huskylawyer says: Jul 19, 2012 11:11 PM

T.O. says the same thing, and there are 100 messages of how he is such a bad guy and doesn’t appreciate how other people are falling on hard times in this country.

Favre says it, and its, “Favre is just being Favre..no big deal…”

59. matthewcarlson1 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:11 PM

I’m a Vikings fan.. hated this dude all my life yet now he is one of my favorite players of all time. Just things like this make Brett Favre a special guy. Have you ever heard an athlete admit that its all about the money? Sure he had a really bad year in 2010 but I’d sure trade it for 16 mil.

60. mountaindont says: Jul 19, 2012 11:12 PM

The Vikings simply got what was advertised with Favre. A qb who makes bad decisions at the worst time. He had been doing that with the Packers for the last 10 years prior to that. It was no surprise.

61. jayquintana says: Jul 19, 2012 11:12 PM

I gotta give him props for honesty.

62. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 19, 2012 11:19 PM

I…miss….Brett….sob…

63. packy305 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:19 PM

Remember one thing…..Jenn Sterger

64. monty508 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:19 PM

“First of all, the money was too good,”

As sad as this may sound I actually respect him more for saying this

65. packhawk04 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:20 PM

So, let me get this straight, favreonites… the guy plays to win, he plays because he loves to, he doesnt need the money, he wants to win another super bowl, blah blah blah… he says the biggest reason was money, which we all knew all the bulls*** was just a facade, but now, “you wouldve done the same now shutup”.

Just cant make this up…

66. burrito12 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:26 PM

He also came back in 2010 because he wanted another shot the pretty intern who worked for the Vikings and thought he may have one last great pic in his phone to convince her. Turns out he only had a bunch of picks on the football field.

67. raysfan1 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:28 PM

@tluke,
    True that Unitas, Montana, and Marino weren’t paid $20M to keep playing. However, Unitas definitely stayed too long, finishing his career as a sad shadow of himself as a San Diego Charger. Many also think Montana played too long as well. If you actually know anyone that claims legends of the past knew when to quit, then tell them for me they are idiots who obviously know diddly about NFL history.

68. myguy317 says: Jul 19, 2012 11:41 PM

Hey the colts signed the #1 draft pick

69. MichaelEdits says: Jul 19, 2012 11:51 PM

Honesty is nice. I could wear some Wranglers over that.

70. Phil Bacalzo says: Jul 19, 2012 11:56 PM

You mean he didn’t play “For The Love of The Game”?!

71. rexryansdirtysock says: Jul 19, 2012 11:58 PM

Yeah, because who wouldn’t want to walk into retirement with another $17 million in their back pocket?

72. denverscott says: Jul 20, 2012 1:29 AM

@tluke,

Actually, Elway told his Dad (a H.S.coach) that if he ever saw him slipping to tell him, and he’d walk away. He believed that they could possibly 3peat in SB 34 but when talking to his Dad he said”No, time to go”. And he did. Out on top. Not like Montana, a true great also, standing on the KC sidelines with a tricept looking like a 2 gallon trash bag full of water. Some of them know, even true competitors.

73. green18blue52 says: Jul 20, 2012 2:32 AM

First of all… He will never spend that money. He had already made more than enough to live the rest of his life without ever working again. All he does is hunt, golf, and maintain his massive amount of land in Mississippi. The absolute BEATING he took in that last year easily erased 3-5 years off his lifespan. I would probably have done the same, but he will surely regret it someday.

74. superpowerfuentes says: Jul 20, 2012 3:04 AM

Id play too for that money

75. flfan says: Jul 20, 2012 8:22 AM

Did anyone here bother to listen to the interview? what he said was: ” first of all the money was too good. next when teammates come down, he felt an obligation”. Favre in no way said he only came back for the money. and for the record, no player plays for free.

76. kuta82 says: Jul 20, 2012 9:36 AM

Ok..I gotta say this.I respect this guy for being honest..most guys would say..I love my the game too much to walk away. Love my teamates feeell comfortable with the system love the city….lol..oh brother..its all about the money..drew brees was gona sit..rice skip workouts even though he was gonna get paid more than most of us…good for u favre

77. svn2011 says: Jul 20, 2012 11:42 AM

Its amazing they guy just comes back for the money but says its because he loved the teammates. Says he didn’t believe they would be that good but still comes back for the money and admits its after few yrs and
    everyone just like his honesty now and how refreshing it is instead of his lack of integrity then..! How about being honest when he came back ?
    Just typical favre of playing the media game. Even when he did something wrong he comes out looking the honest oh shucks guy who loves football..

78. vikings28 says: Jul 20, 2012 12:19 PM

Sydney Rice pretty much screwed the vikings too by waiting until the season to have surgery…like really??

Do it in the offseason and that hurt Favre cause Rice was Favres go to guy….Now look at Rice, he got 18 million guaranteed from Seattle, he had 1 concussion last year, missed a few games and now had surgery on both shoulders. What a waste of money and I’m glad MN didn’t pay him.

79. jedidev says: Jul 20, 2012 5:32 PM

Brett Favre was a once in a generation football player. I’m glad I was old enough to watch his entire career.

80. classygentleman7 says: Jul 22, 2012 7:56 PM

At least Brett’s being truthful about something almost every athlete lies about…

81. discosucs2005 says: Jul 23, 2012 6:58 AM

Lol I love the whole “he’s so honest” swooning going on. Osama Bin Laden was pretty honest with his intentions about America.

Honesty isn’t a virtue, it’s the bare minimum. Let’s not pretend someone’s a saint just because they didn’t lie.

I know many Vikings fans are loyal to him, but I think his coming back when he knew they couldn’t win hurt the team. I could be wrong, but I suspect if they had to go with their other QB options that year they would have started the rebuilding process a little earlier.

82. nflrule says: Jul 26, 2012 5:36 AM

Brett should just continue his post football career.Sending pics from his cell phone.Recently watched the Deion Sanders interview with Favre and i could not decide who i disliked more.