Chargers set to release Luis Castillo again

340x AP

For the second time this offseason, the Chargers are releasing defensive end Luis Castillo.

Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego tweeted out the news a few moments ago.

The Chargers let Castillo go in March for financial reasons, since he was supposed to make $3.9 million with a $1 million roster bonus. But they re-signed the former first-round pick in April for one year, with a minimum base salary of $825,000.

The Chargers are solid at the position, with Corey Liuget, rookie Kendall Reyes, Vaughn Martin and Jacques Cesaire providing plenty of depth.

Castillo only played one game last year before breaking his leg. Despite that, he visited Kansas City and New England during his month of unemployment, indicating there may be a market for him now.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
10 Responses to “Chargers set to release Luis Castillo again”
  1. FinFan68 says: Jul 19, 2012 3:43 PM

OK, what has happened since then to warrant his release? If the answer is “nothing”, why was he signed for the year for no reason then?

2. jdawg111 says: Jul 19, 2012 3:47 PM

Bears should bring this guy in at camp. Cant hurt to have another body to try out for the D-Line…

3. vikings28 says: Jul 19, 2012 3:50 PM

I would tell the Vikings to take a shot on him!!

4. canjura says: Jul 19, 2012 3:50 PM

I think he’s going to have a bigger market than just two teams. He could easily slide inside and play DT in a 4-3 defense.

5. blacknole08 says: Jul 19, 2012 4:06 PM

Doesn’t he have ties with Ron Rivera? Panthers should give him a shot at DT with Neblett suspended.

6. backindasaddle says: Jul 19, 2012 7:20 PM

I don’t get to watch the Chargers very often, but my impressions of him whenever I did get to see him play was that he was a high-motor constant pressure dangerous D-end that definitely needed to be accounted for in the blocking schemes. He was a 1st round pick and when I saw him play… albeit a couple of years ago… he seemed to be seriously good player. Just saying……

7. pnthrz1 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:05 PM

If he doesn’t get a look from the Panthers, I would be shocked.

8. accordngs says: Jul 19, 2012 10:56 PM

I think in order to qualify as having a lot of depth in any position… you actually need to have multiple players who have performed well.

This tidbit just named off a bunch of nobody’s that haven’t done anything in the NFL. Not exactly what I call depth.

9. mullman7675 says: Jul 20, 2012 2:47 PM

Knowing the chargers, Castillo will probably go on to contribute to a playoff contender and perhaps win a ring.

10. thraiderskin says: Jul 20, 2012 4:31 PM

Atleast he’ll have a chance at superbowl now.