Eagles bring “augmented reality” to tickets

20090812_Staff_of_Ra_700

As teams try to make the in-stadium experience as good or better than the at-home experience, the Eagles are trying to make the on-ticket experience as good or better than the at-home experience.

The Eagles have announced the implementation of something called “augmented reality” in their tickets.  After installing an app on their smart phones, fans will be able to pass the device over the ticket and unlock video messages from various players.

“We are always trying to provide new features and experiences for our fans,” Eagles president Don Smolenski said in a release.  “We think there’s a real wow factor when season ticket holders hold their smartphones over these tickets and watch them come to life, launching videos that showcase some of our fans’ favorite players.”

That’s fine, and it can’t hurt.  But if teams think that fans will be more inclined to buy tickets so that they can show their friends what happens when the phone is positioned in the right spot in relation to the face of the ticket, teams really don’t understand what motivates people to attend NFL games.

Quit worrying about making the experience better and start worrying about making the experience cheaper.  That’s the best way to keep the stadiums full.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Eagles bring “augmented reality” to tickets”
  1. mikewasserson says: Jul 19, 2012 11:55 AM

If the average age for season ticket holders was 10 years old, I could see this working. Not for some 45 year old adult though.

2. static71g says: Jul 19, 2012 11:57 AM

Considering the Eagles have a huge waiting list for season tickets I don’t think they are doing this as a way to sell tickets.

3. ishakethatbear says: Jul 19, 2012 12:06 PM

This is the first step in building a dynasty, obviously.

4. eaglesw00t says: Jul 19, 2012 12:12 PM

———————————–

I beg your pardon? When was the last time an Eagles game wasnt sold out? A decade ago?

Their stadium is full. They are trying to give the people who are paying to be there more reason to keep coming.

Thats a good thing…

5. bdawkins20 says: Jul 19, 2012 12:15 PM

the last nfl game i attended.well vick was still the qb of the falcons. they played the bucs in tampa and we paid 65 per ticket plus 25 for parking, (a total rip off) plus food and drink. it is cheaper to watch it at home or at a bar. i remember going to bucs game when they sucked for 14 dollars a ticket, the place was empty. the average fan can not afford to take in a live game. we go to plenty of rays games though.

6. agelardi says: Jul 19, 2012 12:16 PM

###

What about the people who want individual game tickets? Those are the people who are going to make a difference about whether the game is sold out or not.

7. jelliot1978 says: Jul 19, 2012 12:16 PM

While I fully agree that they need to make it cheaper for people to attend the games and buy concessions to simply bash something different because it doesn’t cut customer costs is asinine. Teams like the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Packers and others are not having the same issue that some of the other teams are having. If they chose to market their tickets another way try looking at if it is a nice gimmick or if it is tacky. Next you are going to tell me that because a team is ‘Going Green’ shouldn’t matter because it doesn’t make the game cheaper for the fan.

8. granadafan says: Jul 19, 2012 12:47 PM

Hey here’s a solution that fans have been screaming for that appears to fall on deaf ears: Lower the prices of tickets, parking, and concessions.

9. andyreidisarrogantandfat says: Jul 19, 2012 12:49 PM

If you think about this really is not a new concept for the eagles organization. They have been providig an augmented reality to their fans for decades now.

No really this is the year we will win the super bowl. We promise.

10. insanelomein2 says: Jul 19, 2012 12:53 PM

Even though the Eagles are my hometown team, I’d rather the “WOW” factor being them winning a title than a prerecorded video message.

11. professorcolumbus says: Jul 19, 2012 1:12 PM

Dumbest gimmick ever. Just go on the freaking internet and watch a video. Why does waving your phone over a piece of paper in order to start the video make it special in some way? Also, what jackass termed the use of video on a phone “augmented reality?”

12. rgb2425 says: Jul 19, 2012 1:33 PM

Quit worrying about making the experience better and start worrying about making the experience cheaper. That’s the best way to keep the stadiums full.

Well that’s just like…your opinion, man.

13. granadafan says: Jul 19, 2012 1:50 PM

Nothing annoys me more than going to a live event whether it’s sporting event, concerts, movie, theater, etc and looking at all the morons with their heads buried in their phones and ignoring the action.

Plus how the heck are you going to hear what the player is mumbling about on the video with all those people yelling around you?

14. thraiderskin says: Jul 19, 2012 2:00 PM

I always thought the Eagle’s operated in an “augmented reality.”

15. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 19, 2012 2:02 PM

Would have been cheaper and more convenient to coat the tickets with LSD. Then you just have to lick them for “augmented reality”.

16. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jul 19, 2012 2:11 PM

Right, ’cause it’s what athletes say about football that matters, not what they do.

Unless the secret message is “here’s how to use this ticket to access the Executive Box,” I don’t think fans will care.

17. eaglesw00t says: Jul 19, 2012 2:20 PM

granadafan says:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:50 PM

————————–

I agree to an extent. Its nice to have this kind of garbage to keep you busy in the pregame, and free time beforehand. But once the game starts, I agree with you. People with their head in their phones just bother me.

Im all for do your own thing though. So I dont see this being too cool during the game, but I guess its a nice little extra when you have free time.

I do agree with some people above who say this is a stupid gimmick.

The Eagles should add more seats instead of gimmicks. While they are competitive, they could sell 80k seats, instead of the 69,500 they sell now. Standing room only was nice, but ticket brokers and stubhub are killing them. It turns an affordable ticket into another investment, only you dont get a seat.

I gave up my Eagles season tickets this season. Im joining the couch club. My 55″ tv that I bought with my season ticket money will be nice and toasty warm in January, and I dont have to spend another $100 per game on extras like parking and beer.

18. justintuckrule says: Jul 19, 2012 2:40 PM

“Augmented reality” is the perfect name for their ticketing gimmick. Dream Team, Dynasty and every other aggrandizing moniker their fans and players give to that team are the furthest thing from “Actual reality”.

19. bucbearpig says: Jul 19, 2012 2:45 PM

The should have spent the development dollars creating an app that could scan your ticket and give you voice guided directions to your seat or the nearest bathroom. That would make the game experience better

20. philk0731 says: Jul 19, 2012 3:51 PM

Pass your phone across the TV to see that the Eagles suck and they are way overrated!

21. stan97 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:15 PM

Screw that ‘augmented reality’ BS.

You want to impress me – try lowering the ticket prices so that the average fan can go to the game.

Never liked live games much anyway, I’d much rather watch the game from the cozy confines of my man cave.

For what I’d pay for a beer and a couple of hotdogs I could buy a case and have some friends over and have a much better time.