Giants coach told Victor Cruz to start salsa dancing

Victor+Cruz+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+New+York+XxK_iFWJmVYl Getty Images

You wouldn’t expect a coach on a Tom Coughlin staff to encourage players to dance in the end zone after scoring a touchdown, but, according to Victor Cruz, you’d be wrong.

Cruz, who is on a major publicity tour right now to promote a memoir about his one full NFL season, told Mike Francesa of WFAN that former Giants quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan told him to celebrate his touchdowns by salsa dancing. Cruz said that Sullivan, now Tampa’s offensive coordinator, pushed him to do it before the team’s Week Three game against the Eagles so that he could represent his Puerto Rican heritage.

“We always had conversations like that and he was like man you gotta do it. I told him yeah to get him out of my face and we could continue practice and then right before the game he looked at me at that point and was like you gotta do it,” Cruz said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I was like alright coach. Low and behold early in the game I catch a pass and I am going down the sideline and I am about at the 5-yard line and in my head I am like man I gotta do this dance now. I put the ball down and I just started dancing. I got really into it once I started doing it and it kind of took a life of its own after that.”

If you’re doubting how much a touchdown dance could take on a life of its own, just go back a couple of paragraphs and remind yourself that Cruz is promoting a book right now. Catching 82 passes for 1,536 yards as an undrafted player for a team in the New York area will get you plenty of notice, but the salsa dance has made Cruz a name brand outside the football arena.

Sullivan’s gone, but Cruz’s dancing shoes will remain in place. And while Coughlin still doesn’t seem like a guy enamored of elaborate touchdown celebrations, it’s a safe bet he’ll be fine with anything Cruz does so long as he scores 10 or so touchdowns again this season.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Giants coach told Victor Cruz to start salsa dancing”
  1. classicjake says: Jul 19, 2012 4:05 PM

I hope the eagles do the salsa in the end zone.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 19, 2012 4:09 PM

Mike was actually being sarcastic towards Victor’s previous celebration move, and said, “Put a little salsa on it, Cruz!”.

3. huskersrock1 says: Jul 19, 2012 4:09 PM

Coughlin “What the F— is Cruz doing!

Sullivan “He’s Salsa dancing.”

Coughlin “Why in the f— is he salsa dancing!”

Sullivan “I told him it would be good to express his cultural heritage.”

Coughlin “He better keep f—ing scoring touchdowns!” grumble grumble grumble

4. zaggs says: Jul 19, 2012 4:11 PM

It will be interesting to see what kind of season Cruz has. On one hand he was shaky early on in the season, some of his highlight catches should not have been thrown and many a defensive back missed. On the other hand, he will be a full time start now, has shaken off the rough start to last season and will be more in tune with Eli.

5. a1giant says: Jul 19, 2012 4:17 PM

maybe desean jackson should break dance after he scores a td instead of being a complete retard …..

6. bsizemore68 says: Jul 19, 2012 5:47 PM

Perhaps they should just play football and leave the night club routine to real comedians, or perhaps that is there real self. Bill

7. thekingdp says: Jul 19, 2012 7:14 PM

At least he’s not doing Stevie Johnson’s version of “The Plaxico” everytime he scores.

8. timezyourz says: Jul 19, 2012 10:38 PM

OVERRATED!!!!

9. patriotenvy says: Jul 19, 2012 11:17 PM

Truth is this is the first I’ve ever heard of his “salsa dance”. Good for him, making the most of their lucky season.

10. timfrith24 says: Jul 21, 2012 5:57 PM

Victor Cruz hails from Patterson, NJ and is of Puerto Rican descent.