Ravens, Joe Flacco still working on contract extension

Joe+Flacco+Baltimore+Ravens+v+San+Diego+Chargers+6rEqxkO_Llel Getty Images

The Ravens have taken care of new deals for cornerback Lardarius Webb and running back Ray Rice this offseason and they continue to work on an extension for quarterback Joe Flacco as well.

Getting a new deal for Flacco, who will make $6.76 million in the final year of his rookie deal, has been a talking point for the Ravens for quite a while now, but the two sides haven’t been able to reach an agreement despite constant dialogue. That dialogue will continue, according to Flacco’s agent Joe Linta.

“We are talking and will continue to talk,” Linta said, via the Baltimore Sun. “[Ravens vice president of football administration] Pat Moriarty is a class act and I enjoy dealing with him. We — and the Ravens, I think — have no timetable.”

Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com reports that the Ravens remain optimistic about finishing a deal before training camp opens next week. That meshes with a report from Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com, who used to be a scout with the Ravens, that there’s a 75 percent chance of the two sides agreeing on a contract before camp.

Rice’s deal opened up $2.7 million in cap space for the Ravens, money that could be useful to help bridge whatever gap remains between the two teams as they negotiate the details. With the prospect of an expensive franchise tag looming after next season, getting Flacco’s deal done before he gets close to free agency figures to remain a priority in Baltimore.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Ravens, Joe Flacco still working on contract extension”
  1. qj1984 says: Jul 19, 2012 9:33 AM

This deal will get done by the start of the season. Training camp might be optimistic for such a complicated contract. Steve Bisciotti gets what he wants. He wanted to focus on signing the Ravens up and coming players, so Webb got paid. He said that Ray Rice was going to get a deal this offseason and it got done. He also said before last offseason that Flacco would not play out the final year of his contract. And I believe that as well.

Once Flacco gets signed, I don’t know who the Ravens franchise tag saga would turn to. The tag for Reed would be more than 9 million dollars, the Ravens don’t really seem to want to give him 7 so I can’t imagine they’d go 9 million for him.

2. 3octaveFart says: Jul 19, 2012 9:40 AM

Doesn’t conventional wisdom dictate that you have to actually win something first, before you talk about the big money?

3. deljzc says: Jul 19, 2012 9:50 AM

I’m guessing 7-years, $109 million with $40-$45 million in guarantees.

See how close I get.

4. ravenator says: Jul 19, 2012 9:52 AM

Love the fact the Ravens are taking care of business unlike some other divisional foes I know are lagging behind.

5. ralphtherealravenfan says: Jul 19, 2012 10:06 AM

If Reed keeps his mouth shut, he could be next in line.

6. flaccounibrow says: Jul 19, 2012 10:09 AM

I hope they break the bank to sign him.

7. kuta82 says: Jul 19, 2012 10:12 AM

Ravens should wait for this extension. Joe has been good not very good. He is too inconsistent. They just have to wait and see how he plays this season before giving him an extension.

8. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 19, 2012 10:20 AM

Please get this deal done. As a Steeler fan, I can’t get enough of those “deer-in-headlights” look that he’s mastered. I look forward to many more.

9. terpravenos says: Jul 19, 2012 10:26 AM

While all your teams are home in january, my goofy, over confident, unibrow wearing, most wins in his first four years as a starter, first rookie qb to win two playoff games, playoff wins every year since his arrival, QB will be taking my beloved ravens to the playoffs…again. Yeah yeah blah blah, no super bowls whatever! It’s not about the ring in bmore. We just want them to give us a winter that’s fun. And that’s what we have in Baltimore. Hope. Every year. He deserves to get paid. And a fair deal will be agreed on when the time comes. And the afc north will have to deal with rice and flacco for 5 loooooong years.

10. mfrazie says: Jul 19, 2012 10:49 AM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:20 AM

He beat the Steelers twice last season and even had a last-minute, game-winning drive against them in the second game.

I wouldn’t wish too hard if I were you.

11. web487 says: Jul 19, 2012 12:40 PM

———————————————–

Agree here. I like Joe and want to keep him around, but I’d like to see his feet put to the fire this year. Let him play knowing that his future is not secure and we will see how much talent and dedication he really has, or if he’s just going to be a Dononvan McnAbb of sorts, always knocking at the door of a super bowl but never walking through it.

12. CKL says: Jul 19, 2012 12:59 PM

8 games below 80 passer rating in 2011. Ravens 5-3 in those games.

I do think the Ravens are smart to get him signed this year though because the FT for QBs is going to go up. Right now, they probably have more leverage.

13. imthedudedude says: Jul 19, 2012 1:49 PM

He’s gonna get overpaid.. What a shame, cause he’s not great. I would put stafford, Ryan, and cutler all over flacco