Brett Favre becomes high school football coach

Favre Coach

In a move that makes last year’s excellent parody video seem prescient, former NFL quarterback Brett Favre has become a high school football coach.

Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, told the Associated Press on Friday that Favre will work as an assistant at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.  Cook said Favre plans “to help out in some capacity, but I’m not sure exactly what his role will be.”

Oak Grove served as the location for workouts by Favre as he prepared for his multiple unretirements from 2008 through 2010.  He played for the Falcons, Packers, Jets, and Vikings in a career that spanned 20 seasons.

Last year, Favre worked once as an TV analyst for a football game involving Southern Mississippi, his alma mater.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Brett Favre becomes high school football coach”
  1. mancave001 says: Jul 20, 2012 8:28 PM

That video is one of my all-time favorites. I have made several BF statements into ringtones!

2. geraldthecat says: Jul 20, 2012 8:29 PM

I wish all NFL legends would do something like this.

3. reppster says: Jul 20, 2012 8:31 PM

Good for Brett, I love seeing headlines about this guy he has always had a love for the game that very few players have had, I hope he leads a team to a state championship!

4. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 20, 2012 8:35 PM

Anyone else find this piece disgusting? Someone being ridiculed for offering to coach young people in sports? Brett Favre had more class and dignity in the debris Dr. Andrews flushed from his ankle, than can be found in the collective media exploiting his career.

5. jrs1972 says: Jul 20, 2012 9:24 PM

I’m not brett faverer fan but uh come on.. an assistant? he forgets more about football while taking a crap then a high school coach would know in a lifetime.

6. cuda1234 says: Jul 20, 2012 9:50 PM

The video is funny, but if I remember correctly, ESPN sent one of their little reporterettes down to Mississippi to hang out in Favre’s front yard and report on his every move, then complained about him being in the news all the time. Who’s fault is that?

7. shlort says: Jul 20, 2012 10:16 PM

I hope,, One day.. We can stop hearing about Brett Favre. It is slowly getting to the point where we only have to hear Favres name once a week.. No lets work on once a month, once a year, once a decade and then never.

8. by1619 says: Jul 20, 2012 10:19 PM

Interesting…following in the footsteps of his dad going into HS coaching. How funny would it be if ol’ gunslinger used the same wishbone offense as Big Irv did and threw five times a game? At any rate, best of luck to him.

9. bulldogslc says: Jul 20, 2012 10:30 PM

Glad to see him do something constructive….do you still need an agent though?

10. mediasloppy says: Jul 20, 2012 11:49 PM

Why in the world would Favre still need an agent. I consider Cook his friend.

11. chiefkahuna10 says: Jul 20, 2012 11:59 PM

Brett Favre on why he’s coaching high school football: “First of all, the money”

12. packfaninvikeland says: Jul 21, 2012 12:11 AM

Thanks Mike Florio, again trying your hardest to make Favre look bad as usual. I love the timing of all the Favre stories in a row, trying to make him look like he wants spotlight again. The “all about the money ” blog is laughable, the jersey retirement blog. You were so upset when the Jen Sterger steam didnt catch on before the 2010 season. Once it did, you followed it like it was your new born baby. Favre retires…no Jen Sterger stories ..I am sure thats coincidence though right? lol.. Favre wants to be a coach so you show the picture and video ridiculing him, making it a joke. Your timing is not an accident, you know your users on this site are mostly sheep and follow the masses, so in that aspect you are doing an awesome job, however, you are whats wrong with the media today. Your site dictates what comments get shown and what ones dont, you have deleted my comments speaking the truth. You will probably not approve this one also because you have to prove everyone hates favre. Media Manipulation is all you are about. For the record BRETT FAVRE HAS ONLY OFFICIALLY RETIRED 2 TIMES IN HIS CAREER! THE 2ND TIME WAS THE FINAL TIME.

13. krakyahead says: Jul 21, 2012 12:36 AM

As funny as this is if he chose to re urentire yet again some team would throw millions of dollars at him .

14. mjkelly77 says: Jul 21, 2012 12:39 AM

Are the cheerleaders going to get to see “little Brett”?

15. blackandbluedivision says: Jul 21, 2012 12:54 AM

Do you want to see my Peyton Man-thing? I’ve got to use that.

16. ncarolinarn7 says: Jul 21, 2012 1:05 AM

Brett is a true legend and played the game with a heart few will ever and yet people just can’t appreciate what a passion and hard worker he was at it. Few do much of anything well. Brett is a special man that played a man’s game with a young heart.

17. rajbais says: Jul 21, 2012 1:35 AM

One thing to NOT learn from Favre, decision making.

He’s the all time leader in interceptions and can’t make up his mind!!!!

18. huskylawyer says: Jul 21, 2012 1:45 AM

If I had a daughter at that high school, I’d be really concerned….

19. leroysbutler says: Jul 21, 2012 2:16 AM

Please Go Away.

20. chiefkahuna10 says: Jul 21, 2012 2:34 AM

Brett Favre on why he’s coaching high school football: “first of all, the money”.

21. dzsham says: Jul 21, 2012 6:11 AM

“you know what I like best about high school chicks? I get older, they stay the same age” – Brett Favre

22. 1historian says: Jul 21, 2012 6:48 AM

cuda1234 – answer to your question @9:50 – “whose fault is that?”

Anybody who takes ESPN seriously

23. jetfanforlife says: Jul 21, 2012 6:54 AM

Keep him away from the cheerleaders.

24. fordmandalay says: Jul 21, 2012 7:11 AM

Okay kids, today’s lesson – the proper way to take and email pictures of your ‘junk’…

25. beckzhere says: Jul 21, 2012 7:18 AM

Championship!!

26. rpiotr01 says: Jul 21, 2012 9:34 AM

I don’t question Favre’s knowledge of football. He’s been severely underrated in that capacity for years because of the “country bumpkin” persona.

What I question is his ability to teach it, especially to young people. A great player does not necessarily make a great teacher.

27. djm426 says: Jul 21, 2012 10:22 PM

Awesome! They will have a chance to play and work with the greatest player ever