26 down, six to go for PFT’s Preseason Power Rankings

103976953_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Somehow, we’ve managed to stick to a strict, two-per-day schedule of lengthy, comprehensive, team-by-team season previews, posted from bottom to top based on a consensus ranking of every franchise as the 2012 season approaches.

Links to the first 26 teams appear below.  The final six are coming in the next three days.

Do you disagree with our list so far?  Do you have any thoughts on how the final six should shake out?

Feel free to post your views in the comments.  We may completely ignore them, but at least you’ll feel better for articulating them.

No. 32:  The Browns.

No. 11:  The Bears.

No. 10:  The Broncos.

No. 9:  The Saints.

No. 8:  The Eagles.

No. 7:  The Texans.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “26 down, six to go for PFT’s Preseason Power Rankings”
  1. sportmentary says: Jul 21, 2012 10:37 PM

I must say that for the most part I agree with your rankings. I don’t agree with the Eagles at #8. They’re more like a 12-15th teams.

2. MichaelEdits says: Jul 21, 2012 10:43 PM

The Texans are much worse than a #7 team.

3. cakemixa says: Jul 21, 2012 10:44 PM

Lol, would anyone honestly pick the Eagles over the Saints, Bears, or Lions? Oh wait, I forgot, Vick said they have a dynasty. Never mind!

4. funktron2x says: Jul 21, 2012 10:57 PM

Don’t get the love for Broncos and Texans. Broncos added Manning but still have defensive issues (see pasting delivered last year) and Texans lost waaaaay too many good players this offseason.

5. terpravenos says: Jul 21, 2012 10:58 PM

Pretty predictable, I can see him putting The ravens at six because of the steelers love fest that exists. But I’d love to read the comments if they put us at 5 and Pitt at 6

6. distracted9 says: Jul 21, 2012 11:01 PM

People are really down on the Eagles for no apparent reason other than they dont like us.. We were 8-8 last year, 7 of our 8 losses we had a 4th quarter lead so they were winnable games. We didnt play well until we were all but mathmatically eliminated.. final 4 games. Our biggest weakness was our linebackers which was addressed so we SHOULD be better.. If Vick stays healthy youre lying if you feel confident your team can beat us. There isnt one team in the NFL that we cant beat this year.. doesnt mean we will win every game but we definately have the tallent to win 13 games this year and make a run in the playoffs. I have my Eagles at number 3 behind Pats and Packers.

7. virger says: Jul 21, 2012 11:02 PM

6. Ravens
    5. Steelers
    4. Niners
    3. Packers
    2. Pats
    1. Giants (you have to, right?)

8. grendelg says: Jul 21, 2012 11:09 PM

I honestly thought the Falcons were about right when you put them at 12, but seeing the teams above them I think they’re too low. I’d take this year’s Falcons over any of the teams you’ve listed so far, especially with the distractions in New Orleans and the Texans losing Mario Williams.

9. ngatachancebal says: Jul 21, 2012 11:23 PM

My prediction: 6. 49ers 5. Giants 4. Steelers 3. Ravens 2. Packers 1. Patriots

10. s11ekans says: Jul 21, 2012 11:27 PM

6. Steelers
    5 . Giants
    4. 49ers
    3. Ravens
    2. Packers
    1. PATRIOTS!!!

11. acdc84 says: Jul 22, 2012 12:31 AM

GB as #1 is as obvious as Jerry’s contempt for Newman!

12. rhodeislandpatriotsfan says: Jul 22, 2012 1:00 AM

Out of respect for the Super Bowl champs, the Giants, Patriots, Packers, and 49ers should be a lock on the first, second, third, and fourth slots, respectively, for the 2012 preseason power rankings. That would likely leave the Steelers and Ravens for the fifth and sixth spots. Where I differ from PFT’s ranking is that I would rank the Eagles—yes, the Eagles—higher than both the Steelers or Ravens. But don’t look for the Eagles to start that dynasty just yet. I’m predicting a Texans-Packers Super Bowl, with the Lombardi ultimately returning to “Titletown, USA.”

13. kacapaco says: Jul 22, 2012 1:14 AM

How dare you put Broncos before Lions & Falcons? They got an aging & injured (ex) star that is learning new system by new coach; is a hit away from retirement; coming from full season out of football…come on. Though I like them, broncos are definitely destined to non-postseason year.

14. discosucs2005 says: Jul 22, 2012 2:03 AM

I have two guesses for the final six based on what I think they will pick (not what I think).

My realistic one:

6. Steelers
    5. 49ers
    4. Ravens
    3. Packers
    2. Patriots
    1. Giants

My other one:

6. Steelers
    5. Ravens
    4. Packers
    3. Patriots
    2. Giants
    1. 49ers

Why the 49ers at number 1? Because Florio seemed so annoyed that 49ers fans had high expectations he wants to try and mess with them by saying they’ll be the best team in the league effectively trying to add a dream team label without anyone on the 49ers actually saying as much.

15. johnnyshore says: Jul 22, 2012 9:12 AM

San Fran will be top 2, possibly number 1.Vegas odds has them number 1

16. inthezone4 says: Jul 22, 2012 11:55 AM

Denver at 10? Who is manning going to throw too? Decker is the only decent wide out they have.

17. 7ransponder says: Jul 22, 2012 6:26 PM

Wow, delete my comment because you can’t take a little criticism eh? Thin skin for a site that covers men who are rough and tumble.

18. phillyphan83 says: Jul 22, 2012 8:42 PM

hahaha so much hate for the Eagles. I’m gonna love it when were 11-5, maybe 12-4 and all you haters won’t have anything to say. And you wanna talk about an overrated team??? Its the defending champs!!!! They were 9-7 last year, BARELY made the playoffs, wouldn’t have if Marc Sanchez didn’t hand them 3 redzone turnovers in week 16, and in no way did they get better this offseason. Sorry if I’m not blinded by the Lombardi, and I’m not the only one. There are multiple ESPN analysts that are predicting the g-men to miss the playoffs. Don’t forget, when you’re defendimg champs, every week is like a playoff game because you get every teams’ A game and its not easy to keep up with that all year.

19. perry1977 says: Jul 23, 2012 2:39 AM

The Raiders are ranked wayyyyyyy too high. Bwahahahaha!