Brett Favre congratulates Mike Holmgren, but not in Green Bay

favreholmgren Getty Images

Former Green Bay coach Mike Holmgren was inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame on Saturday night, and although Brett Favre was invited to the ceremony, he did not attend. Holmgren said he did, however, receive a congratulatory message from Favre — via text.

And while not everyone who gets a text from Favre appreciates the contents, Holmgren said he received warm wishes from his former quarterback.

I hear from [Favre] maybe once a year,” Holmgren told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “But he did text me and wish me well tonight, [said] some very nice things. We had a nice exchange.”

Still, the fact that Favre didn’t attend the ceremony in person points to some of the lingering hard feelings between the Packers and Favre about the way he retired, un-retired and was ultimately traded away from Green Bay. Holmgren said he witnessed those things from afar and knows there are issues, but he believes Favre and the Packers will eventually bury the hatchet.

“I wasn’t here,” Holmgren said. “But I know this. I know the principals involved, everybody involved, they’re all good guys. They’re all good men. My feeling is, time will heal anything. Now we’re talking about football, but I’m talking about anything. A little time, and it should work out just fine.”

And eventually Favre will join Holmgren in the Packers Hall of Fame.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Brett Favre congratulates Mike Holmgren, but not in Green Bay”
  1. bottleknockers says: Jul 22, 2012 7:05 AM

I could agree that Favre not being there may have something to do with his lingering feelings towards the Packers, but I don’t think that’s it. Not this time.

Favre most likely stayed away because if he had showed, the story would have been all about Favre, and not about Holmgren’s deserved recognition.

In short, Favre didn’t want to upstage Holmgren’s day.

2. sweetzinger says: Jul 22, 2012 7:07 AM

I’m pretty sure Holmgren left because he couldn’t handle the “me me me” high maintenance of Favre.

3. warhawk04 says: Jul 22, 2012 8:32 AM

Surprised to read Holmgren and Favre only talk “maybe once a year.” Both were huge factors in each others success. Figured they would be in regular contact. Holmgren was out of Green Bay well before the Favre-Rodgers deal so there shouldn’t be any hard feelings between the two.

4. jimmysee says: Jul 22, 2012 8:35 AM

Brett totally had good reason not to be there — he’s preparing for his season as an assistant high school coach.

5. iluvbears says: Jul 22, 2012 8:56 AM

Hey Brett. If you want the to retire as a Minnesota Viking, I am sure that could be worked out. We’d love to have you.

6. thedudesnotin says: Jul 22, 2012 9:15 AM

“What coach would leave a team with a Hall of Fame qb still in his prime? After having Montana and Young, and then Favre, he was willing to go to Hasselbeck? A good qb and underrated, but still.”

Was he not within a hair of winning the ultimate trophy with Hasselbeck at QB?

7. billh1947 says: Jul 22, 2012 9:19 AM

Good thing Favre wasnt there,he most certainly would have intercepted all the accolades and attention meant for Holmgren.hopefully when he gets in to the PHF he will be too busy coaching his high school team to attend the ceremony.

8. icewalker946 says: Jul 22, 2012 9:37 AM

Time has passed enough for me to welcome him back into ‘family’. Yeah, family. My Mom still has pictures of her wedding day, my Dad, my brother, me and my family, and Brett Favre up on the same wall.

THAT is how much he meant to at least our family.

9. beerbratscheese says: Jul 22, 2012 9:52 AM

Favre made his own bed, now he has to sleep in it. It’s as simple as that. He turned the Packers fan base against him for the sheer reason of stroking his own ego.

I’m sure he’s still sleeping fine, but he’s not doing a good job of pretending it doesn’t bother him.

10. Wisconsin77 says: Jul 22, 2012 10:55 AM

sweetzinger says: Jul 22, 2012 7:07 AM

Might want to check your history books again. Holmgren left because he wanted to be HC and GM, it’s as simple as that. Not surprised, Favre haters usually have a knack for rewriting history.

11. Wisconsin77 says: Jul 22, 2012 10:57 AM

warhawk04 says: Jul 22, 2012 8:32 AM

Really? Why? It’s not like they were drinking buddies. How often do you contact your favorite college professor (or high school teacher) that was instrumental in your development?

12. onbucky96 says: Jul 22, 2012 11:29 AM

Brett texting, what bad could come of that? Glad The Walrus was welcomed back by Packer Nation. Now if Favverraaa can get over himself, no that won’t happen. Discount Double Check!

13. chillyball says: Jul 22, 2012 2:28 PM

i cant wait for brett to be put in the hall of fame, at HIS request, with a Viking uniform. just so he can stick it to the fudgepack one more time.

14. emperorzero says: Jul 22, 2012 3:27 PM

It wasn’t a matter of Holmgren leaving because of Favre. Holmgren left because he wanted to build his own team and that wasn’t going to happen with Ron Wolf in Green Bay.

15. zn0rseman says: Jul 22, 2012 6:24 PM

Translation: Favre is still pissed that the organization he loyaly devoted most of his life to took a giant dump on him. First by trying to force him to retire right after he took them to the NFC Title game, and then by forcing him to waste a year with the Jets before he could play for the team he wanted to play for.

16. axespray says: Jul 23, 2012 2:26 AM

Brett may as well show up and get the boo birds out of the way… show up a few times, over time it’ll chill and everyone will kick it … ya heaRd

17. axespray says: Jul 23, 2012 2:29 AM

zn0rseman says:Jul 22, 2012 6:24 PM
    “Translation: Favre is still pissed that the organization he loyaly devoted most of his life to took a giant dump on him. then by forcing him to waste a year with the Jets before he could play for the team he wanted to play for.”

So he wanted to play for another team even when he was still under contract to the Packers … and they’re the ones that crapped on him?