LeGarrette Blount’s work ethic a major problem in Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

As new Bucs coach Greg Schiano attempts to instill a more disciplined approach in Tampa Bay, one name keeps surfacing as an example of a player who might not fit that approach: Running back LeGarrette Blount.

Schiano wants players who are driven and motivated to do all the required work and then some, but Blount didn’t give anything close to that effort for the last coaching staff. In fact, Blount’s lack of commitment was startling to coaches from the day he arrived in Tampa Bay in 2010, according to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times.

Stroud writes that Blount was fined more than $15,000 for repeatedly showing up late to practice. His tardiness became so common that eventually the team arranged for him to hire a car service with a driver who would wake him up in the morning and bring him to the team’s practice facilities. After that worked for a few weeks the Bucs figured Blount could cancel the car service because he had figured out what time he needed to get up and get going to get to practice on time. And then Blount was late again on the very first day the car service was canceled. And so they re-ordered it for Blount, and a car and driver kept taking him to practice in 2010 and in 2011. And even when he sleeps in, Blount still apparently needs more sleep, because he also has a history of falling asleep in team meetings.

Does anyone think that’s the kind of thing Schiano is going to tolerate?

When the Bucs traded back into the first round of this year’s draft to take running back Doug Martin, that was a strong sign that Schiano didn’t think he could count on Blount as his starting running back. Schiano says there is no favorite in the running back competition, but if Blount can’t get himself out of bed early enough to get to work on time — and if he can’t stay awake while he’s at work — then it’s safe to say Blount isn’t going to last with Schiano.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
53 Responses to “LeGarrette Blount’s work ethic a major problem in Tampa Bay”
  1. spellingcopfather says: Jul 22, 2012 1:28 PM

How did the car services guy wake him up? Blow the horn, knock on the door, call his cell, yell his name outside the window how?

2. icewalker946 says: Jul 22, 2012 1:28 PM

Why would anyone want to have him as an employee….NFL or your local grocery store?

Maybe he needs to get into boxing. Well, if he can sucker punch the other guy, that is.

3. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Jul 22, 2012 1:29 PM

A job that will pay tens of millions over a career and he isn’t motivated enough to get his ass out of bed and go to work? Where are the man’s family and agent?

Unmotivated players affect the whole team. Cut him now!

4. DCBlueStar says: Jul 22, 2012 1:29 PM

Grumblings around here in Tampa are that fans are fed up with him. I knew Schiano wouldn’t tolerate this. He’s on his way out.

5. gumerk says: Jul 22, 2012 1:30 PM

Sleep Apnea? Narcolepsy? Diabetes? Hopefully they have did a sleep study on him including other standard tests to rule out any health disorders. One of the hardest runners and highest hurdlers in the NFC South.

6. nyyjetsknicks says: Jul 22, 2012 1:30 PM

Someone had to wake me up and drive me to a location too. Then I graduated from kindergarten and was able to do it on my own…

7. patriots123456 says: Jul 22, 2012 1:30 PM

Only in Pro-Football.

How long would this guy last in the real world.

8. 1122world says: Jul 22, 2012 1:33 PM

Jets about to sign him

9. icewalker946 says: Jul 22, 2012 1:34 PM

patriots123456 says:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:30 PM
    Only in Pro-Football.

How long would this guy last in the real world.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    If he’s in a strong enough union, FOR-EV-ER!

10. tfbuckfutter says: Jul 22, 2012 1:35 PM

What a jackass.

All he has to do is survey the landscape every offseason and see how many equally talented, but dedicated running backs are out there begging for jobs.

It’s not the franchise position it once was.

11. raideralex99 says: Jul 22, 2012 1:48 PM

Wow … sounds like JaMarcus and him are still drinking the same stuff.

12. patch24680 says: Jul 22, 2012 1:49 PM

Maybe he has no idea how to use A FREAKIN’ ALARM CLOCK!!!!!!! Hey, Blount….they come with instructions!!!!!!
    If he’s that unreliable……CUT HIS ASS!!!!! I’m sure there are plenty of unsigned players that would LOVE to have his job!!!!!

13. bison4me says: Jul 22, 2012 1:49 PM

Have they tested him for Sleep Apnea, if not they should do so immediately. His play on game isn’t consistent with a person who isn’t motivated or lack of respect for the game. He plays hard and would rather run through a tackler than avoid contact.

14. seattlelgt says: Jul 22, 2012 1:49 PM

As if the Bucs didn’t know he was going to be a problem? He sucker punched a guy on live TV!

15. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Jul 22, 2012 1:56 PM

There’s obviously no defending that kind of nonsense, but if you’re already an extremely lazy person and your team’s coaching staff coddles you, of course you’re going to continue that behavior.

What the article fails to mention is whether or not this is still an issue. Somehow I can’t imagine Schiano continuing this paid taxi service, so the only assumptions we can make are that Blount has matured and bought an alarm clock or that he’s about to be cut.

What he did before, no matter how immature and ridiculous, really means very little now. All this article does is tell us the crap he used to get away with. What about the present?

16. cdins says: Jul 22, 2012 1:57 PM

Im sure hes going to thrive once he retires

17. thekiddone says: Jul 22, 2012 1:57 PM

To nyyjetsknicks

I think I peed a little laughing so hard.

18. raider13pdx says: Jul 22, 2012 2:00 PM

Well if Tampa cuts him so be it. I’m sure a good amount of teams in the league would love to have a RB like Blount. Dude is an absolute BEAST! Relentless, physical ,a bruiser and tough. Put all your eggs in one basket on a rookie from Boise State LMAO and cut Blount. He’d make you pay for it later. Maybe there is more to the story. Maybe he doesn’t like his scenario out there in Tampa. And to say that Bucs fans don’t like him? Every Bucs fan I know and thats quite a few, love Blount.

19. createatopia says: Jul 22, 2012 2:03 PM

LeGarrette’s an exciting, talented guy on the field, but he’s obviously not long for Tampa.

Anytime “anonymous” sources begin laying waste to a teammate’s reputation, while they still supposedly have to co-exist with the guy on the same team, it’s usually a death knell for said teammate.

Hopefully he figures it out, because wasted talent is sad (see Marshawn “Beast Mode” Lynch, et al.)

20. chazzmon says: Jul 22, 2012 2:07 PM

It’s a shame. I wonder if he’ll make through the pre-season, despite his talent his excess baggage may get him cut. 1st pick this year was an RB so we’ll see what happens.

21. reesesteel23 says: Jul 22, 2012 2:12 PM

You mention his work ethic but all you bring up is his sleeping pattern….how is he during drills?…in the weight room?..on the field?..

22. andrewsherylandharry says: Jul 22, 2012 2:13 PM

Schiano sounds like a pretty good hire with a bit of the Jimmy Johnson’s about him.

23. mitybuc says: Jul 22, 2012 2:15 PM

Safe to say that Schiano’s not going to hire him a driver.

New culture in Bucland now, and plenty of motivation for Blount to grow up in a hurry.

Would be great to have him around as a closer…but he’s not needed like he was last season. We’ve got some depth at quality RB prospects now. Go Bucs!

24. crazybeardedjack says: Jul 22, 2012 2:16 PM

To everyone saying Blount “sucker punched” that punk from Boise State – That idiot asked to get punched. He was a bench player who didn’t do anything in that game, yet he felt the need to be the first one on the field talking trash to someone who was actually in the game. Bench warmer deserved what he got.

25. ramcountry says: Jul 22, 2012 2:22 PM

I remember when the Rams had a similar problem with Alex Barron.

You can’t coach desire.

26. sethb222 says: Jul 22, 2012 2:59 PM

We talking bout practice… Not a game…. Practice.

27. stunzeed5 says: Jul 22, 2012 3:00 PM

It’s fun being lazy and unmotivated!

Sincerely,

Colt Brennan

28. SmurfJuice says: Jul 22, 2012 3:41 PM

If I am willing to get up every morning, drive to a guy’s house, pick him up, and drop him off at practice for $20,000 a year… Why the hell isn’t Blount able to do it himself for millions?

29. grogansheroes says: Jul 22, 2012 5:15 PM

Sounds like a perfect guy for the Red Sox.

30. onermedboxer says: Jul 22, 2012 5:33 PM

This article is out of the blue hate on Blount.

Now dont get me wrong, I agree with everything that was said – but it seems like this article is out of place. There isnt any news here

31. seanx40 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:40 PM

Imagine my surprise that Blount would turn out to be poor example of a NFL player.

I assume that the Lions will be signing him the instant TB cuts him.

32. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jul 22, 2012 5:43 PM

And with that, Martin’s draft stock just went that much higher

33. larryed says: Jul 22, 2012 5:47 PM

hmmm been quite awhile since that all occurred ….could it be the local rag guy doesn’t like him? Hey, idiot they fired the guy who put up with that crap – if it continues he’ll be gone and my Lions can pick him up!

34. vikingdoode says: Jul 22, 2012 6:07 PM

And this is the kinda player don’t mind seeing his career cut short and disappearing…..

35. rexryanschoolofpodiatry says: Jul 22, 2012 6:25 PM

seanx40 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:40 PM

I assume that the Lions will be signing him the instant TB cuts him.

——————————–

Congrats on having the lamest, most unoriginal post today. Four players on the Lions, all having spent less than 2 years with the team do not represent the entire Lions team. I can name you many more players on the Lions who have been model citizens….You can rest assured the Lions will not be signing Blount….

36. seanb20124 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:32 PM

Cut and move on

37. jimthebuilder27 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:39 PM

Plays great at times (that run he made against my Packers grrr) but usually plays with no heart or effort. Cut him now!

38. chattabuc says: Jul 22, 2012 6:51 PM

Maybe a good leader like Schiano can help Blount — assuming he is willing to change. From what we have learned about the Morris regime it is no wonder Blount had problems — limited accountability. Still though Blount needs to step up. I hope he does because he is loaded with talent. I have no talent and work my ass off for peanuts and just don’t get that mentality from someone loaded with the gifts it takes to succeed. Let’s hope Schiano can help and if not cut him! But I will keep hoping because he Is a beast!

39. jebdamone says: Jul 22, 2012 6:54 PM

————————————————–

this cracked me up

40. pacodawg says: Jul 22, 2012 7:14 PM

He is tired from all the jahooch

41. kspells12345 says: Jul 22, 2012 7:18 PM

Practice? We talking about practice?

42. hpeters77 says: Jul 22, 2012 7:42 PM

sorry i feel asleep while reading article, whats the problem again

43. drgreenstreak says: Jul 22, 2012 9:17 PM

Blount isn’t going to last with anyone, ever.

He finds it especially insulting they took a running back from Boise State, a team he really hates for beating his Ducks down hard. He had to sucker punch one.
    I was pretty well shocked any coach was actually brave enough to take this moron.
    Blount will probably punch out the coach who tells him he’s gone.

44. dolphinsguy says: Jul 22, 2012 10:51 PM

He definitely has sleep apnea!! I had the waking up and sleep problems myself. My legs were always fatigue and was lethargic. If I would sit still I would fall asleep. I did however manage to get to work on time, albeit very tired!!

45. buffalicious says: Jul 22, 2012 11:07 PM

The guy may very well have sleep apnea. I suffer from it. Until you are diagnosed people think you are just lazy and irresponsible. The man is a good player. Before we all judge…I hope the bucs get him looked at.

46. petedutcher says: Jul 22, 2012 11:58 PM

For those living OUTSIDE the Tampa area, the local newspaper reporters are known to make things up in order to generate interest.

In the story Stroud drew upon an article by Campbell or Pewter Report a long while back. Stroud added to it.

Both attribute “unnamed sources” that are no longer with the team.

Interestingly, there has never been proof that these events ever occurred. Blount is given a bad rap because the Bucs drafted a first round rb this year, and Schiano (HC) wants a 2-back system. There are members of the media who talk down about Blount without offering anything to backup their claims.

As to Blount…since leaving college he as not once acted improperly on the field. He has not taken swings at anyone since leaving college. He did not complain last year when, even as starter, running plays were rarely called.

Also…his third year in the league and no off season with his team until this year…year one he joined the team after the start of the season, and last year had no off season training program. Yet…when he was told to run he produced in a big way…racking up over 1,000 total yards in 11 games in his first year. Would have last year if running plays had been called.

47. petedutcher says: Jul 23, 2012 12:04 AM

Upon reading the comments here I realize not one person above knows anything about Blount since he entered the league.

A lot of unfounded comments here. The article above was even unfounded if you know anything about the source.

48. fatcatt says: Jul 23, 2012 1:01 AM

I only read 1 comment where it was mentioned about possibly having a sleep disorder. I can’t believe the Bucs medical staff hasnt explored the possibility. Because what he’s doing is a perfect example of one..the rest of you..don’t be so narrow minded

49. tinbender2000 says: Jul 23, 2012 1:45 AM

icewalker946 says:Jul 22, 2012 1:34 PM

patriots123456 says:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:30 PM
    Only in Pro-Football.

How long would this guy last in the real world.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    If he’s in a strong enough union, FOR-EV-ER!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    That’s so funny Icewalker, are you a figure skater ? Unions got you and me 8 hour days, vacations, medical and dental, living wages, etc. Those spoiled union workers at auto plants have seconds to do what would take you an hour, and do it day in and day out. I worked at a union shop that paid almost double what non union shops did, with medical, dental, 4 weeks paid vacation, and other perks, and the owner of our shop made way more money than the non union shops bcause he had a trained, highly motivated crew. I need a new knee, a new shoulder, and have other problems because I worked hard for my higher wages at a UNION shop, and don’t regret a minute of it. People who work for a living who bash unions are either jealous or stupid, shooting themselves in the foot.

50. 1brocktacular says: Jul 23, 2012 5:50 AM

You tell ‘em Pete!

51. manofaiki says: Jul 23, 2012 7:15 AM

Don’t focus just on how hard it is for this guy to make it to practice on time because he doesn’t want to get up on time in the morning.

Focus also on what he’s doing with is NIGHTS.

Is he hanging out in clubs all night and staggering into bed around 2 or 3 in the morning?

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he was.

52. nflofficeadmin says: Jul 23, 2012 7:40 AM

Smoked too many blounts..

53. covercorner says: Jul 23, 2012 4:56 PM

Another team will sign him.