Merriman: I’m the best all-around player I’ve ever been

Shawne Merriman Pic Getty Images

Bills coach Chan Gailey recently expressed optimism that defensive end Shawne Merriman would rejuvenate his career in 2012. Merriman, 28, reportedly had a strong offseason and seemingly regained some of the explosiveness he’s lacked since 2007 — Merriman’s last season as an effective NFL player.

On Saturday, Merriman went so far as to suggest that he’s now the “best all-around player that he has ever been.”

“I’m a much smarter player and much more technical now,” Merriman told the Bills’ website. “I know a lot more about the game. When you don’t have those physical tools the last three years and being able to blow by a guy or great pass-rush ability, you start to learn more about the game and you get a little bit more technically sound.

“And that’s what happened. Now my body is ready to take that on again with the knowledge I’ve picked up over the last few years. It’s going to be good.”

Any logical observer should be extremely skeptical about Merriman after essentially a five-year layoff, but he’ll be an interesting player to watch this preseason. If Merriman has regained his off-the-ball burst, the Bills could field a dynamic pass-rushing trio along with Mario Williams and Mark Anderson.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Merriman: I’m the best all-around player I’ve ever been”
  1. egreen4590 says: Jul 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Shawne ‘Lights Off’ Merriman.

2. bbking0420 says: Jul 22, 2012 4:04 PM

I’m a Buffalo Bills Fan for life.The Bills are going far in the playoffs this year,but Shawne Merriman could u please stay healthy for a year before u start bragging about anything!!!!GO Bills!!!2012-2013 AFC East Champs!!!!!

3. seatownballers says: Jul 22, 2012 4:12 PM

Id love to see him prove these comments and become a force in that division

4. profootballwalk says: Jul 22, 2012 4:57 PM

Dude hasn’t been the same since the Patriots stole his sack dance.

5. mike83ri says: Jul 22, 2012 5:06 PM

I hope this means he’s good at special teams now.

6. rubicon202 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:07 PM

like dude said “Lights dout or dimming fast”

7. tinopuno says: Jul 22, 2012 5:09 PM

As he walked away, Merriman was heard murmuring to himself, “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!”

8. fooath says: Jul 22, 2012 5:12 PM

Probably found a less detectable substance to cheat with then last time.

Cheater.

9. bigdinla says: Jul 22, 2012 5:13 PM

In further news Merriman tests positive for PEDs. Once a cheater!

10. rushbacker says: Jul 22, 2012 5:13 PM

Get that man a whiz quiz, stat!

11. charger88 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:20 PM

So your saying you’ve learned a lot since the “Juice” incident 5 years ago. Do yourself a favor and shut up because everyone knows you’ve haven’t been 1/4 of the player you were 5 years ago. Surprise everyone. By the way your 30 minute workout you posted earlier this week was hilarious. Ray Lewis would have slept through all of it.

12. thegonz13 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:26 PM

You WERE a force. Time to prove yourself all over again!

13. ninerfan49 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:31 PM

He is a legend in his own mind.

14. boltsdude1 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:37 PM

What merrimans talking loud again? Im shocked

15. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Jul 22, 2012 5:38 PM

I hope he gets to Brady and puts him out for the season!!!

16. raqaiw says: Jul 22, 2012 5:43 PM

Steroids are a he’ll of a drug.

17. seanx40 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:44 PM

New shipment of ‘roids I assume.

18. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jul 22, 2012 5:46 PM

IR by week 4

19. cowboyhater says: Jul 22, 2012 5:49 PM

He failed to mention the reason for those physical tools that allowed him to blow past o-linemen was due to the roids he took. The post roid Merriman is half of what he was, and will be lucky to be an average d-lineman. Keep wishing Bills fan. This guy is all talk, because he knows he is stealing a paycheck from the Bills.

20. dcdebacle says: Jul 22, 2012 5:49 PM

i remember seeing him in a restaurant in Denver a couple years ago and being impressed by his massive biceps. however, the restaurant was chilis and he ordered the same dish this fat ass did, the honey chipotle chicken crispers. so if his body is good, he is probably juicing again. his date looked pretty good though.

21. neauxgeaux44 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:53 PM

LMAO…someone above said the Bills would win the AFC East….can’t stop laughing at such stupidity and absurdity…

22. rekingcrew says: Jul 22, 2012 5:58 PM

Good, I hope he can make a comeback.

23. pape27 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:06 PM

lets see – shawne merriman over the last few years:
    2006 – suspended 4 games

2007 – good year, 68/54/12.5

2008 – blown pcl/lcl/(acl?), out for the year

2009 – Merriman said “How fast can you get off the ball. That’s what I’m going to be working on this offseason. Getting my explosion back.”; Zero of a year

2010 – Cut by chargers, claimed by bills, spends season on IR; Zeroed out again

2011 – “I’m a much smarter player and much more technical now,” ; lol, okies, yeah i’m billeving that one.

so what will it be week 2, 3 or 4 when he hits the IR again?

24. pape27 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:07 PM

oops, missed a year

2011 – IR again

2012 – now we get the “I’m a much smarter player and much more technical now,” ; lol, okies, yeah i’m billeving that one.

25. gromit45 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:12 PM

Take the under for him to play at least 5 games

26. patriotwanderer says: Jul 22, 2012 6:17 PM

ravenseattheirownpoop says:
    Jul 22, 2012 5:38 PM

I hope he gets to Brady and puts him out for the season!!!

———–
    Thats classy.
    Maybe that the only way you think the Ravens can beat the Pats?

27. dapipes says: Jul 22, 2012 6:34 PM

Merriman was so smug in his comment that later he injected roids into both buttcheeks at the same time and moments later he picked up 92 pound Tila Tequila and tossed her 12 yards in the air, and exclaimed “that’s a new record…my old record was 8 yards!
    So happy with his latest accomplishment, he jumped in delight only to have strained his right calf, pulled his left hamstring, and suffered back spasms.

Steroids giveth and steroids taketh away.

28. beeronthefridge says: Jul 22, 2012 6:38 PM

Bills are desperate signing all these washed up players!

29. jpb12 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:46 PM

Living in the past.
    Bills are a better team this year. But Merriman won’t be the reason.

30. kgun80 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:46 PM

If he can be a decent third down pass rusher, it will be a plus for what could be a good defense. But, as a Bills fan I’m not counting on it and neither is the management, they gave Mario Williams a boat load of cash for a reason.
    Realistically, the Pats are the class of the division.. that’s obvious! But if we can win enough games for wild card I’ll be happy.

31. jameslongstaffe says: Jul 22, 2012 7:19 PM

Lattimer

32. vikefan284296 says: Jul 22, 2012 7:21 PM

Lol I thought the headline said he was the most all around player he had ever SEEN.

33. mgifford15 says: Jul 22, 2012 7:29 PM

Who is Shawne merriman? Wait, if this were ’06 I would know, but since then he’s just been an example of what steroids/hgh can do. Non story as far as I’m concerned. He’ll be on the Greg oden plan by seasons end. But you know, YOLO, as “da gangstaz” say

34. psychoraider904 says: Jul 22, 2012 7:48 PM

Did they stop testing for HGH?

35. chargersdiehard says: Jul 22, 2012 8:31 PM

Jeff Fisher ended Merriman’s career for hitting Vince Young on a questionable late hit. The rest of the game the Titans went after #56 with a vengeance, and he was never the same. Ear hole shots and chop blocks for 2 hours straight broke his spirit. I hope he regains that spirit and ruins the seasons of the qbs in that division cause I hate them all except Fitz.

36. richc111 says: Jul 22, 2012 8:40 PM

If I was his agent I would change his mantra to under promise and over deliver instead of the past 5 years of over promising and under delivering. It works out so much better for everyone involved. Except for maybe his agent

37. ripseau says: Jul 22, 2012 8:55 PM

Merriman actually was having a great great season after his suspension. A full year AFTER his suspension so his abilities weren’t fully created by any drugs. And lets all remember that most (if not all) pro athletes use some sort of performance enhancing drugs. What was Merrimans downfall was the complete cheap shot that Mawae and David Stewart did 20 yards away from the play. Merriman was on the ground and David Steward did a Hulk Hogan leg drop and ripped apart Merriman’s knee. He missed the rest of the season, along with all but 1 game of the next season. He even contemplated retirement. He was never the same.
    Shawne Merriman was a crazy good player and it’s sad that he received so much hate because of a sack dance. I hope he revives his career because he’s a great guy too.

38. chitownbullet says: Jul 22, 2012 9:26 PM

One more over hyped clown and a legend in his own mind. You read it here the bills will suck because their trio will be injured by the second half of the season.

39. phillyphan72 says: Jul 22, 2012 9:33 PM

He won’t last 4 games..it’ll be lights out

40. raiderapologist says: Jul 22, 2012 9:39 PM

Terrell Owens has been more productive than Merriman the past few seasons, and he can’t get a job. In other news, I called Directv to drop Sunday Ticket for this year, because my freeloader son finally signed up for the service, and they gave it to me free in exchange for keeping Directv for another 12 months. If your contract is up or close to it, give them a call.

41. dtjano says: Jul 22, 2012 10:17 PM

He helped bring Nick Barnett to the Bills. If they get any contributions from him on the field it’ll be a bonus.

42. dlw492 says: Jul 23, 2012 12:55 AM

You sure he didn’t say “I got these legal ‘roids man, Goodell wont catch me”

43. sfsaintsfan says: Jul 23, 2012 1:15 AM

Shawne Merriman is 28?

I would have sworn they guy was at least 35.

The NFL really does age people.

44. biggestredmiami says: Jul 23, 2012 1:53 AM

A reality TV show of Merriman, Pacman Jones, T.O., Suh, Ochocinco, and Gronk would be the most epic thing in the world.

45. shallweride says: Jul 23, 2012 1:57 AM

———–
    Thats classy.
    Maybe that the only way you think the Ravens can beat the Pats?

Pretty sure the ravens were a Lee Evans drop away from preventing the patriots from goin to the big dance buddy

46. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 23, 2012 2:19 AM

LMAO!!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. everyonethinksitimsayingit says: Jul 23, 2012 2:24 AM

^^^^^2012-2013 AFC East champs? When did the Patriots switch divisions?????

48. devrick says: Jul 23, 2012 3:15 AM

I guess he doesn’t do much film study.

49. dlln147 says: Jul 23, 2012 5:18 AM

It’s really not right for anyone to judge how he will be. Things can turn around in a heart beat and he can be his old self, or he could get on to ir again, or he could have a full year and just suck. There are so many possibilities that you can’t really judge. I’m a Bills fan and I want to see him perform, i’m excited to see what happens. If, and that’s “if” he gets his stride back, I will be proud of him as a player. Would be a great comeback story.

50. joetoronto says: Jul 23, 2012 5:23 AM

He’s a typical big talking non winning Charger player.

51. 14222bills says: Jul 23, 2012 5:51 AM

the fact that the bills are paying the washed out roof head is such a waste. everyone hoping he will “return to form”, he’s was juiced!!! now his body is broken because of it. better off developing young talent.

52. bbk1000 says: Jul 23, 2012 7:16 AM