Peyton Manning wishes the Broncos went away to camp

Manning Camp Football AP

If Peyton Manning had his way, the Broncos would buck the growing trend toward having training camp at their regular facility.

Denver will open camp at its headquarters in Dove Valley for the 10th straight year, after previously going to the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley.

And as nice as it is, and convenient, Manning would rather go away for the summer.

“I do,” Manning told Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “I wish we went away. I know we stay there at the facility and we stay at a hotel. I’ve heard coach [John] Fox and John Elway talk about potentially [moving away] again. I think there’s something about going to a different site and just homing in on football.

“It’s not as long as it used to be, but there’s definitely some team bonding that occurs that I think can win a game for you down the line. Having breakfast with a guy, watching some film in the room with a guy; I think it helps.”

Manning acknowledged that not everyone shares his enthusiasm, which may stem from missing camp last year as well.

“I understand why linemen probably don’t enjoy it as much because they’re banging on each other,” Manning said. “Quarterbacks don’t get hit as much, so I probably have a little different point of view. But if you love football, which I do, you love training camp.”

There’s a constant debate about the merits of going away, and it’s swinging toward the stay-at-homes now.

With the Bengals bypassing their annual trip to Georgetown, Ky. to work at Paul Brown Stadium, 18 of the league’s 32 teams now have “camp” at the same place they have practice during the regular season.

In 2000, only five of the 31 teams stayed home. This year, the, Bills, Colts, Chiefs, Jets, Raiders, Steelers, Cardinals, Panthers, Bears, Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, Giants and Eagles will pack up and make the move.

The biggest hassle remains the logistics of a move, as teams have to pack up not just shoulder pads and helmets, but the entire weight room and training room, computers and copiers for the office and hundreds of little things you never think of such as sunscreen for the staff.

But the camaraderie you can build away from home is hard to replace. It’s no surprise Fox has mentioned leaving home to Manning, because he was always an advocate of camp when he coached the Panthers, who go 85 miles away to Wofford College every year.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Peyton Manning wishes the Broncos went away to camp”
  1. zanderbough says: Jul 22, 2012 2:33 PM

Despite practically being in Alaska, the Seahawks’ facilities should give them an advantage in free agency. The field is literally on the shore of Lake Washington. They fly free agents to it on a float plane. My guess is they don’t miss practicing at Eastern Washington University, especially after they painted their field red.

2. bronco1st says: Jul 22, 2012 4:00 PM

Having to go to “Camp” to build camaraderie is just as childish as it sounds. Gesh, talk about overpaid boy scouts – at least they all should get merit badges for weapons mastery and ho hunting.

3. nypd1056 says: Jul 22, 2012 5:57 PM

Let me see, the teams that go away to camp have a combined total of over 24 SuperBowl rings. Thats a lot better that merit badges

4. jbaxt says: Jul 22, 2012 6:22 PM

Are their fans already booing for the third stringer again?

5. larryjames836 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:37 PM

The NFL is getting boring to these guys know more hard hitting in practice is for kids.

6. robgilman says: Jul 22, 2012 6:43 PM

Peyton already speaking out about team management policies… He’s just going to be a cancer to the organization. Bring back Tebow!

7. liljere24 says: Jul 22, 2012 6:48 PM

Non Story

8. youcantmakemepickausername says: Jul 22, 2012 7:47 PM

Well, I can admit when i’m wrong. I’ve been saying for the last few years that in this age of 30 million dollar practice facilities that it’s stupid to make a bunch of grown men go live in dorms, but if you look at the teams that still do it, there’s a lot of recent Super Bowl hardware in the list.

(and, as yet another kick in the nuts as an Eagles fan, of course they’re again an exception to the rule).

9. raidadon says: Jul 22, 2012 8:46 PM

I wish Peyton would go away fer the fall

10. blazertop says: Jul 22, 2012 8:57 PM

I would listen to Manning

11. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jul 23, 2012 1:09 AM

That’s funny, I wish Peyton Manning would go away too…permanently.

12. krppr says: Jul 23, 2012 7:16 AM

Yeah, it takes a lot of planning/coordination packing up sunscreen.

13. leftyguns21 says: Jul 26, 2012 11:42 AM

having it at home is great for the fans. especially since its open to the public. if they had camp in another location fans would lose out on this experience