Brandon Marshall shares his story at mental illness conference

Chicago Bears Minicamp Getty Images

Brandon Marshall’s offseasons have been different than other players’, for other reasons in the past.

This offseason, he took time to reflect on his own troubled past, as the keynote speaker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness convention in Seattle.

After being introduced, Marshall turned to focus to a projector, which played a clip from the 911 call his wife made during an incident at their home. Marshall’s diagnosis of and treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder makes his a fascinating read for clinicians and football fans alike.

“Sometimes,” Marshall told the convention, “you have to hit rock bottom before things change in your life.”

In an excellent read by Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times, Marshall’s again  willing to tell his life story in detail, in hopes of helping those who suffer push through the stigmas attached to mental illness.

“If it’s me suffering to help thousands, and maybe millions in the world, I wouldn’t change it for nothing,” Marshall said. “It started with me falling on my face.

“If you want to change, it starts with yourself.”

The subject matter’s well-known to him, but standing in front of the conference was still new for a man used to playing in front of thousands. But that didn’t make it any easier for him.

“I still consider myself a rookie, and I get more nervous before a speech then I do before a football game,” Marshall said. “For some reason, I always get butterflies. It’s nerve-wracking for me, before the speech, because I want to articulate my powerful story and hopefully have an impact on someone.”

Marshall’s going to have a chance to spread his message this year, as the Bears figure to be in the national spotlight all year. And he should be congratulated for his willingness to share his pain, in hopes of helping others.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Brandon Marshall shares his story at mental illness conference”
  1. larryboodry says: Jul 23, 2012 7:45 AM

Good for him!

2. nukaten says: Jul 23, 2012 7:56 AM

Thats pretty impressive, hopefully he has a career year.

3. imtmak says: Jul 23, 2012 9:49 AM

I agree. Hope you can stay on the right track while helping others as well.

4. gallopingghost says: Jul 23, 2012 10:34 AM

not to make him out to be a complete Saint, but it’s really encouraging to see a pro athlete take responsibility for his past and channel it into something positive.

I’m sure there will always be people who judge it all as PR, but I’ve been paying attention since the trade and if nothing else he does commit a lot of time and money to this cause. Unlike many in the public spotlight, he seems to embrace his mistakes rather than deny them.

Its also an important example to set. There’s plenty of role models in pro sports who never get caught up in trouble, but there’s something to said about those who do owning up to their past.

5. jjbadd says: Jul 23, 2012 10:54 AM

As a Bronco fan, I still like this guy. Good for him.

6. hulksmashyou says: Jul 23, 2012 2:05 PM

Way to go Brandon! I hope you have gotten your life straightened out and are on your way to finishing your career with a bang!

7. chi01town says: Jul 23, 2012 3:38 PM

Thats right Marshall you’ve got nothing to hide an everybody in Chicago is on your side. Now Marshall an Cutler are going to light up score boards all over the league

8. 91devinhester23 says: Jul 24, 2012 4:00 PM

all this mental illness stuff and painfully refusing to talk about his past.. what happened to this guy? I feel bad