Eli tells Amani Toomer: Ike Hilliard was better than you

toomermanning Getty Images

Former Giants receiver Amani Toomer raised some eyebrows recently when he said Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is a better player than Toomer’s old teammate Eli Manning. Manning, however, has laughed off the comments and taken a shot back at Toomer.

Manning said on WFAN’s Boomer and Carton show that he joked with Toomer by telling him that Ike Hilliard, who played wide receiver alongside Toomer during Manning’s rookie season, was better than Toomer.

“You’ve got to laugh about it,” Manning said, via the Star Ledger. “I saw Toomer not too long ago. I just walked up to him and said, ‘You know what, I thought Ike Hilliard [was] a better Giants receiver than you were. Willie Ponder was probably a better receiver than you were.’ . . . You’ve got to laugh about it instead of getting upset. There’s no point. Amani’s been a good pal of mine and still is, so you’ve got to laugh about it.”

Manning is good at laughing off criticism, which he took a lot of last year when he labeled himself one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL. Asked today if he’s now an elite quarterback, Manning answered, “Working to try to become one.”

Toomer might not think so, but most people think Manning already is one.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Eli tells Amani Toomer: Ike Hilliard was better than you”
  1. blackandbluedivision says: Jul 23, 2012 1:49 PM

I wonder what Ike Hilliard and Willie Ponder think of this development.

2. t8ertot says: Jul 23, 2012 1:49 PM

Yes, 2 superbowl wins against the pats makes you elite

3. Shimmy says: Jul 23, 2012 1:52 PM

The ideal attitude you want in an NFL QB. Shrug off criticism, laugh at the little things, and let your talking happen on the gridiron. Eli = always a class act.

4. joegibbsisking says: Jul 23, 2012 1:58 PM

Boom, roasted. Michael Scott voice

5. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jul 23, 2012 2:00 PM

Uhh enough about Eli being elite.

How about Victor cruz? That go who went undrafted? Pretty elite if you ask me

O and that other guy JPP? The 2nd year D.E who could arguably be called one of the top 5 ends in the NFL already?

I mean yea Eli could be elite. These other guys are pretty big deals as well.

The most elite members of the giants organization are the new face masks of the d-lineman anyways.

6. thebigcaptain2011 says: Jul 23, 2012 2:00 PM

Hakeem Nicks is a better Giants WR than Toomer….

7. undraftedstar says: Jul 23, 2012 2:02 PM

Toomer just wants publicity..

8. bergencountyjc says: Jul 23, 2012 2:02 PM

OH SNAP!…o wait, they’re friends…meh

9. classicjake says: Jul 23, 2012 2:05 PM

I’ll b glad when the season gets going & I don’t
    Hear nothing at all about giants except how
    They r 2-14.

10. kappy32 says: Jul 23, 2012 2:05 PM

Consummate professional. One one hand you have Eli Manning, fresh off his 2nd Super Bowl in 4 years, saying he’s “still working” to become Elite. On the other hand, you have Michael Vick, fresh off a flop of a season & without a Super Bowl ever, saying the Eagles can become a dynasty. I’ll take Eli any day, all day, and 4 times on Wednesday.

11. arzcardinals says: Jul 23, 2012 2:06 PM

2 rings and ur name is Manning. You are elite!

12. andrewproughcfe says: Jul 23, 2012 2:17 PM

Eli should have told Toomer that Shockey was better – that would get under his skin.

13. chazzmon says: Jul 23, 2012 2:28 PM

Trash talk from Eli, love it!

14. dlc618 says: Jul 23, 2012 2:43 PM

Why is it so hard for people to give Eli the respect he deserves? He’s a great qb. Best QB in the manning family. Sorry..bigger market, more pressure, younger, accomplished more than Peyton and his father combined! ha!

15. 1122world says: Jul 23, 2012 2:45 PM

He said he was elite and then went out and took the Super Bowl.
    Shut up everyone.

16. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jul 23, 2012 2:50 PM

Uhh enough about Eli being elite.

How about Victor cruz? That guy who went undrafted? Pretty elite if you ask me

I mean yea Eli could be elite. These other guys are pretty big deals as well.

17. datageek94 says: Jul 23, 2012 3:00 PM

Archie’s sons are class acts.

Eli – thanks for laughing it off, and with 2 Super Bowl rings, the humility.

What a great attitude.

18. kuta82 says: Jul 23, 2012 3:03 PM

Love the atitude of this guy..can’t wait to see him get smashed at PBS Cincy

19. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 23, 2012 3:32 PM

Furthermore, Hilliard wasn’t a cancer in the locker room, like the guy they called “Malignant”.

20. toppdogg51 says: Jul 23, 2012 3:43 PM

I really don’t understand some people. I am a die hard Patriot fan from way back. I have more respect for Eli than a lot of other people because I am a fan of the sport of football. Eli Manning has earned my respect as one of the best quarterbacks out there and I can’t wait for my team to face him in the SuperBowl again. Much love and respect for the sport that I love so much. Eli, my team is gunning for you.

21. kingcarlbanks says: Jul 24, 2012 1:21 AM

That wasnt a joke. Ike Hilliard was a warrior over the middle. Dude sacrificed his body many a time to make a catch, especially with Kerry Collins leading him into disaster. Id take him over 3 Toomers