Buddy Nix: It’s time to win some games

Stephon Gilmore, Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey AP

Every year, one team seems to jump out from the pack to get named the winner of the offseason.

That label doesn’t have a great history of leading to success during the regular season, something that Bills General Manager Buddy Nix seems to realize. Signing Mario Williams and drafting Stephen Gilmore were two of the biggest moves that got the Bills a lot of votes for having the best offseason, but Nix said Tuesday that the team hasn’t accomplished anything yet.

“We’ve done some things right, but it’s time for us to close it out and win some games,” Nix said, via the team’s Twitter account as the Bills began gathering for training camp. “We have to step up. It’s time.”

Nix is right. All of the offseason maneuvering won’t amount to anything more than noise if the Bills don’t show some serious improvement over last year’s 6-10 record. The Bills believe that they have changed the culture around the team for the better, but they have definitely changed the expectations.

That’s led to optimism, but falling short of them will almost certainly lead to pessimism about the ability of the current coaches, players and executives to reach the goal of a long-awaited return to the playoffs.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Buddy Nix: It’s time to win some games”
  1. dnnsm30 says: Jul 24, 2012 5:24 PM

I have backed my Bills for a long time! Yes a winning record would be nice, Playoffs better, and I don’t even want to say the “SB” word! I am with you Buddy! Go get them!!

2. buffalobills2012 says: Jul 24, 2012 6:55 PM

Finally.

3. borisbulldog says: Jul 24, 2012 6:57 PM

Nix forgot that he’s got Fitzpatrick at QB.

Winning games won’t happen until they get a franchise QB!

4. rnt2000 says: Jul 24, 2012 7:02 PM

As a Die Hard BILLS fan I do love what Chan and Buddy have done in the last 3one years…even though the Bills record does not say much but I think they just got the “INJURY BUG” against them the past couple of years. They also had a first time Def. Cord. Who did not do a good job. I do “Billeve” that the pieces I see in place right now the Bills WILL be in the playoffs. I don’t know how far but long as they get in i’m happy. I think they can go 11-6to this season and have the potential to knock the Pats out of the div. title. Just my thoughts.

5. andrewfbrowne says: Jul 24, 2012 7:17 PM

Buddy Nix has done a tremendous job in the last couple of years in the draft with Buffalo, anyone else notice that since he left San Diego that have slowly and steadily declined?

You want a championship, you can only do it with talent.

6. skoobyfl says: Jul 24, 2012 7:40 PM

Actions speak louder than words.

7. riverhorsey says: Jul 24, 2012 7:46 PM

Nobody buys the championship without a top QB and the Bills don’t have one.

They made a good pick up w williams but they lost 8 out of their last 9 games and that trend won’t change much.

8. pastabelly says: Jul 24, 2012 7:56 PM

These guys should just shut up already. They are actually yapping more than the Jets.

9. ddarlak says: Jul 24, 2012 8:07 PM

J E T S * J E T S * J E T S

bring ‘em

10. bushwoodcc says: Jul 24, 2012 8:12 PM

I have to say that even though they are a divisional opponent to my Pats there is no fan base that deserves a tunaround to their team’s fortunes than the Buffalo fans. They are solid fans supporting their team despite bad records and even in those tough Buffalo Decembers. They even put up with all the Toronto crap. On top of if their fans aren’t a bunch of idiots when the come see the Bills at Gillette. And you can go into their stadium wearing your teams colors…sure you’ll get some good natured ribbing and jawing, but you won’t have to worry about some nimrod taking it way to far.

Got to give it Bills fans…class acts from my experiences.

11. billsin20xx says: Jul 24, 2012 8:16 PM

Fitzpatrick was an excellent qb the first half of last year, UNTIL he started playing with broken ribs – don’t count him out.
    I have doubts about him too, but willing to give him a chance.

12. catquick says: Jul 24, 2012 8:42 PM

To horsey and bulldog…….Fitz was the hottest QB in the NFL last year until he broke 3 ribs and damaged his sternum on a London Fletcher hit that still boggles my mind as to why he got away with it and James Harrison regularly gets $75K fines for less. Thats with all the injuries. he still put up OK numbers AFTER the broken ribs. He is a franchise QB and the smartest guy in the NFL bar none. He’s also been working with David Lee on mechanical issues like Brady did for his whole career before his mentor passed last year. Fitz may just be one of the best in the league this year.

13. buffalo75vette says: Jul 24, 2012 9:55 PM

riverhorsey says: Jul 24, 2012 7:46 PM

Nobody buys the championship without a top QB and the Bills don’t have one.

Didn’t Baltimore win a championship with Flaco as their QB.. Is he a top QB..Don’t think so. Great defenses win big games.. Defense we have.Go Bills

14. bulletproof1997 says: Jul 24, 2012 11:38 PM

Its just in alot of peoples mindsets that Fitz isn’t the guy. It doesn’t matter that he was top 10 or 11th in several QB stats last year. I would take Fitz any day over Alex Smith, the reason I bring him as an example is simply Smith only looks good when his Defense and Running Back dominate. Well, Fitz won games last year with a defense that game up unthinkable yards. We do have dominate RB’s but now Buffalo’s Defense looks to be dominate from day one. Lets just hope it translates on the field.
    side note- another QB that is in the same category as Smith is non other then Joe Flacco, Dominate defense, dominate RB. Without that, I’d say Ravens win 6-7 games a year at best.

15. joeyjopp says: Jul 25, 2012 6:53 PM

I love seeing Billsmafia represent everywhere there is a Bills story. 11 wins is achievable this year. Sorry Y.E.T.S this is not your year!

16. dtjano says: Jul 25, 2012 10:58 PM

I can’t remember the last time fans had any expectations for the Bills. When Nix started with the team the players that left or were cut were CFL players at best. Edwards and Losman were starters for the team and they are at best 3rd on a depth chart. Until they do it nobody will give them respect.