Colts will add Edgerrin James to Ring of Honor

edgerrinjames Getty Images

Six years after he left, Edgerrin James is returning to Indianapolis this season to be inducted into the Colts’ Ring of Honor.

The Colts announced today that James, the fourth overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft, will join the Ring of Honor at a celebration at the Week 3 game against the Jaguars on September 23.

“It is a tremendous honor,” James said in a statement released by the team. “It’s one of those things that you set out to do and hope to have a career where you can leave a lasting imprint. For me, it’s super important because a lot of my young kids didn’t get a chance to see me play. Now, at least they’ll know their daddy could play a little bit. . . . No matter where I go or what I do, I’m always a Colt.”

In seven seasons with the Colts, James set the franchise’s career records for rushing attempts (2,188), rushing yards (9,226) and rushing touchdowns (64). He left to sign with the Cardinals in 2006 and played there for three years before finishing his career with the Seahawks in 2009.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Colts will add Edgerrin James to Ring of Honor”
  1. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 24, 2012 7:12 PM

glad to hear, edge was always one of my favorite colts rb

2. heeeeelzfan says: Jul 24, 2012 7:35 PM

I have been a Colts fan since 1967. Edgerrin James epitomizes class. When the big contract extension went to Reggie and Edge was traded, he was never bitter. He said he understood. I only wish he had been on the World Championship team even though the Colts did the right thing by presenting Edge with a ring. An honor well deserved for a guy who played hard every game, was the consummate team player, and hopefully, is a future Hall of Famer. Congrats, Edge! You are a class act.

3. jaydog76 says: Jul 24, 2012 7:38 PM

Well deserved, he was a class act while wearing the horse shoe

4. xli2006 says: Jul 24, 2012 7:44 PM

If stats are a large part of the HOF then he could flirt with Canton as well. He has better numbers than quite a few HOF RBs.

5. ar1888 says: Jul 24, 2012 7:46 PM

Very underrated running back.

6. bushwoodcc says: Jul 24, 2012 8:02 PM

As a Pats fan I was glad to see him leave the Colts. And I mean that as a compliment to Edge.

7. stevenfbrackett says: Jul 24, 2012 8:08 PM

a lot of my young kids didn’t get a chance to see me play

Just how many young kids constitute ‘a lot’?

8. icardfan says: Jul 24, 2012 8:53 PM

He was great for the Cards too. I still recall all those crucial first downs he picked up for us that brought us our greatest season ever. Was always a class guy even when the organization jerked him around. I hope he reads these comments and knows he’s loved and respected in AZ. I hope he gets HOF consideration. Lesser players are already in.

9. benacci says: Jul 24, 2012 8:54 PM

So I’m reading this article and my Wife texted me a pic of an official Nike Edge Jersey She found for $8….sold.
    Proud of you Edge, now teach Javarris how to run and stay outta trouble!

10. kingdm8 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:02 PM

Edge was one of my favorite players when he was at Miami and with the Colts. As a Cards fan I was elated when he signed with us. He was as big time a signing as we’d seen in the Valley in quite a while. Congrats to Edge. He deserves his place of honor in Indy and hopefully in Canton someday.

11. randallflagg52 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:06 PM

Yeah really classy of Indy. Shame they couldn’t show respect to the great Baltimore Colt’s players like John Mackey. Used to kill me to see Marvin Harrison running around with Mackey’s number on his jersey. They want to claim Baltimore’s victories and records as their own, but don’t go that extra mile to show respect…

12. ademell1 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:26 PM

I was almost hoping it was gonna be Dominci Rhodes.

You know, the real Superbowl XLI MVP.

Just saying.

13. jimfix says: Jul 24, 2012 10:42 PM

love edgewinsgames. my favorite colt of all time. he gets a bad rap, though. fans in indy complain because he left for money (except that the colts didn’t offer him any money, what was he supposed to do, retire?) or that he was terrible in arizona (except he put up 1000+ season the first two years he was there…). at least irsay gave him a ring the super bowl season. can’t wait for him to be back in town.

as for the quip about all his kids… nice. he has four kids with the same woman who died a few years ago from leukemia. they dated since high school. he is raising them by himself.

14. randallflagg52 says: Jul 25, 2012 12:47 AM

Hate the (Indy) Colts but love Edge. Guy was a baller, one of the more underrated players of this generation. He gets overshadowed by Freeney, Harrison and of course Manning, but he was the workhorse until Manning came unto his own. Wish him well, especially after the tragic passing of his wife.

He deserves this, even if the Colts never deserved him.

15. eaglesw00t says: Jul 25, 2012 7:34 AM

I understand the people that would like to see him in Canton, but there are too many players NOT in Canton for him to end up there.

He was a great player, but was never the best. Like Steven Jackson, I honestly believe he ends up on the outside looking in.

16. jimfix says: Jul 25, 2012 12:17 PM

actually statistically he was the best in ’99 and ’00. and he was an all pro 4 times.

17. bengalheel says: Jul 25, 2012 11:53 PM

If you’ll remember, Edge was blazing fast his first two years in the league and won the rushing titles both times. After tearing his ACL, he never had that elite speed, but he transitioned into one of the most complete running backs in the NFL. A true pro.