Is DeSean Jackson still protecting himself?

dunta-robinson-getty Getty Images

The massive hit that Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson applied in October 2010 to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, who is listed as weighing 175 pounds and so is likely closer to 165, seemed to make Jackson skittish about going over the middle.  His trepidation culminated last year with a bizarre in-season declaration that his top priority is staying healthy.

Now that he has gotten a long-term deal and the lifetime of financial security that goes along with it (unless and until he pisses all the money away), many believe he’ll go back to being the reckless, fearless dynamo he was pre-Dunta.

Those who believe that may be wrong, based on what Tim McManus of 97.5 The Fanatic and PhillyMag.com had to say during Monday’s PFT Live.

I could type what he said, but then you wouldn’t watch it.  (And before you complain about a 15-second ad that will play before the video, compare the time you’ll spend complaining to the time it will take for the 15-second ad to run.)

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Videos
17 Responses to “Is DeSean Jackson still protecting himself?”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 24, 2012 6:57 PM

Just play to Desean’s strengths and keep him away from the middle. Stretch the field with him on deep pass plays to open up the underneath game for everyone else. If not, keep the routes simple and get the ball to him quickly on the outside because we all know he can take a curl or a quick-slant all the way to paydirt.

2. duncanthecat says: Jul 24, 2012 8:28 PM

He plays with fear, and anyone who lays him out is guaranteed to make the highlight reel.

There is a bounty on this guy like no other.

3. giantsfan82 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:42 PM

The ad was 30 seconds. And this complaining only took me 8 seconds.

4. chuxtah says: Jul 24, 2012 8:50 PM

Man my mouth still waters when I think about that hit. Like to see a couple more of those on him or Vick this year. No tandem in the league deserves it more.

5. cash804 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:12 PM

If I’m a DB…I smell blood.

6. kurtrose says: Jul 24, 2012 9:17 PM

R U Kidding me. The NFC better watch out. Banner year. No pun intended.

7. jakpsu1 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:23 PM

Let him come across the middle where James Harrison is patrolling

8. n0hopeleft says: Jul 24, 2012 9:34 PM

I cant wait for the day he takes that hit, and someone taunts him.

It will be exactly what he deserves.

9. irongiants1973 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:39 PM

I’m so glad this guy plays in Philly and same for his cousin Dez in Dallas. Fine upstanding young men doing their franchise and fan bases proud. Ha. Clowns !

10. triangletaddler says: Jul 24, 2012 9:42 PM

If I was him I wouldn’t go over the middle either.

11. cooklynn17 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:57 PM

This guy is a straight up punk…….I hope he gets jacked up.

12. rgb2425 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:14 PM

Wtf kind of question is this? Robinson was fined for that hit for leaving his feet. All you haters haven’t said anything about any other receiver getting hit illegally like that especially PFT. Does the same question apply to everyone else? No, only because its DJax and the Eagles Florio has to type something negative. Can’t wait til this little guy, with a heart way bigger than any of us sitting behind a computer protecting ourselves, embarrasses every single team on Philly’s schedule. Damn right I’m an Eagles fan and I’m damn proud. E A G L E S EAGLES!

13. trollaikman8 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:30 PM

He’s too valuable & fragile to risk on 5 yard underneath passes and crossing patterns.

Sure he’s a matchup nightmare in the middle, but he’s a matchup nightmare outside too.

14. youhavenoclue says: Jul 24, 2012 10:35 PM

DeSean Jackson = The Poor Man’s Mike Wallace

15. jroman11 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:40 PM

n0hopeleft says: Jul 24, 2012 9:34 PM

I cant wait for the day he takes that hit, and someone taunts him.

It will be exactly what he deserves.
    ———————————————————-

Why, exactly, do you feel that he deserves it? Are you jealous or racist or…what’s the excuse?

irongiants1973..comparing desean to dez bryant? Are you kidding me? When was the last time DeSean got in trouble off the field? That statement is asinine.

Sorry…just had to throw my opinion in there.

16. catchhester23 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:46 PM

Johnny knox just said “man up”

17. RedRuffensor says: Jul 25, 2012 5:40 AM

What’s the over/under for how many years it takes for DJ to piss away his money? I say 3 years after he retires.