Osi wishes more players would be like Tebow

The 2012 ESPY Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

With a never ending stream of players lining up for fingerprints and mugshots, Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora has suggested a solution.

Be like Tebow.

“I know that everybody likes to make fun of Tim Tebow and talk about him, but he sets an outstanding example for people,” Umenyiora said, according to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.  “I think if more people would focus and try to be like him and carry themselves the way he does, I think things would be better.”

Osi said it’s “ridiculous” that 31 players have been arrested since Super Bowl XLVI, a rap sheet that includes Giants offensive lineman David Diehl, who was arrested for DUI after smashing his vehicle into a pair of parked cars.

“For the life of me, I can’t understand it,” Umenyiora said.  “People need to be more focused and more grateful for what it is that they have.  Coming from where I came from [on a trip to Nigeria]  and seeing what I saw, all that poverty and people who have nothing, they would literally cut off both legs to have the opportunity these people have. And to be messing around like that, man, it’s really unfortunate.”

Umenyiora also said that Commissioner Roger Goodell deserves no criticism, in any way, for the rash of arrests.

“You can’t blame the Commissioner,” Umenyiora said. “He’s bringing down the hammer every time.  But obviously people don’t like to listen.  They’ll learn sooner or later.”

Regardless, something needs to happen.  Until the rules are changed, having players hold each other accountable is the next best thing.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Osi wishes more players would be like Tebow”
  1. catquick says: Jul 24, 2012 8:27 PM

Here, here, Osi!!!

2. mhohmann says: Jul 24, 2012 8:37 PM

Osi is not known for good commentary but he’s right about this one. Too many excuses for the bad behavior.

3. msclemons67 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:40 PM

Bomani Jones’ response was classic.

“If I played defense I’d wish that too”

4. ashleenaome says: Jul 24, 2012 8:41 PM

And lots of people wish Osi would shut up.

5. bushwoodcc says: Jul 24, 2012 8:41 PM

Osi is right. I’m no Tebow fan but the guy makes an effort to present a positive image and stay out of trouble.

And let’s be honest, there are more guys in the league that do stay out of trouble and do get involved in their communities than there are these idiots that can’t stay away form trouble.

But maybe if more players that avoid trouble call out the morons who can’t (like Osi just did) then maybe these guys would take get the message, especially coming from the guys they have to face every day on the practice field and in the locker room. Teammates have a lot bigger sphere of influence over each other than a suit in an office.

6. cowboys8819 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:41 PM

I totally agree with Osi and I’m a Cowboys fan! Good job man and well said!

7. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 24, 2012 8:42 PM

Amen.

8. jc327 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:42 PM

Not a Tebow fan, but hey, Osi is right…

9. milkmansalamander says: Jul 24, 2012 8:43 PM

i really dont like this guy, but he is very right.

10. rickrock6661982 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:43 PM

Easy to say that when you’ve won two Super Bowls

Try saying that when you find out Tebow is your starting QB

11. historicfacepalm says: Jul 24, 2012 8:44 PM

“People need to be more focused and more grateful for what it is that they have.”

This line made me chuckle, coming from a man who has complained about his contract more often than not.

12. briang123 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:45 PM

You cut out the part of the article that many of would find most important, the new printing thing-a-ma-jig at M&M’s World in NYC. I’m on way down to see that thing!

13. effjohntaylornorelation says: Jul 24, 2012 8:46 PM

I just spit up in my mouth a little.

14. catskinnerd11r says: Jul 24, 2012 8:47 PM

When I first read the headline, I thought he meant for more players to spin in circles

15. tweeter75 says: Jul 24, 2012 8:48 PM

Osi is always running his mouth, but this time I couldn’t agree with him more. There are a lot of Tebow haters out there, but I think he’s refreshing at a time when the police blotter has gone into overdrive.

I’d rather read a Tebow article than read about DUIs, shootings, stabbings, drug arrests, domestics, etc, etc, etc.

16. manupngrowapair says: Jul 24, 2012 8:50 PM

To expand on the idea of players determining punishments for fellow players, how about a committee of FORMER players and coaches. I think the older/wiser veterans should have a hand in being good stewards of the sport.

17. gmsalpha says: Jul 24, 2012 8:56 PM

I whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment behind Osi’s statement, but I do have a small issue with using Tim Tebow as the athlete he’s using to make this point.

I’m pretty sure there’s another New York QB who’s been pretty successful on the field and has never had any off-field issues who happens to be a teammate, no less. Not sure why he chose the cross-town rivals’ QB over his own.

18. mtheparrothead says: Jul 24, 2012 9:08 PM

Most won’t say tebow is a bad person. But he is a horrible qb. Focus on that

19. rubicon202 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:10 PM

if more people stopped trying to be like other people that would be a start

20. TxGrown says: Jul 24, 2012 9:12 PM

Wait! You mean slapping your mom around, getting busted with illegal weapons, dope, fathering litters of kids and having numerous DUI’s arrests is not acceptable?

Osi don’t you understand that his public displays of faith are annoying to so many?

Really, those whose bad behavior may put others at risk, aren’t……annoying.

21. painsyndicate says: Jul 24, 2012 9:15 PM

“You can’t blame the Commissioner,” Umenyiora said. “He’s bringing down the hammer every time. But obviously people don’t like to listen. They’ll learn sooner or later.”

Bingo. This guy totally gets it.

22. pnut87 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:19 PM

Wait, I’m confused… Why did Osi sound smart just now? That wasn’t just me was it?

23. gogronk says: Jul 24, 2012 9:21 PM

Who’s the douche that doesn’t agree with Osi?

24. schoolchoice2011 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:24 PM

From your mouth to God’s ears

25. hatesycophants says: Jul 24, 2012 9:28 PM

The thing is, those aren’t the only two options. Criminal or so-called Christian? Is a path that respects others and supports the most vulnerable and believes in education not acceptable?

26. metalhead65 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:39 PM

if you really believe players will stay out of trouble if they give the power to somebody other than goodell them you are naive. the first thing the nflpa will do is hire a liberal arbitraitor who will overturn whatever penalties he gives out or lesson them to the point they do not deter anyone.he should suspend a player the second time it happens for half a season and year after that,anymore then you are done. can someone tell me what the point of having clauses deterimental to the team in contracts if they can’t use them? I would say getting arrested multiple times covers that but apparently not since the teams never use them.

27. cooklynn17 says: Jul 24, 2012 9:41 PM

I don’t care if Osi is the second coming of Mother Teresa, shut the F up and just smash the quarterback.

I do not want to hear another word out of this self centered fools mouth. This guy is worse than the cast from the View. What a drama queen.

Be grateful, please this coming from a guy who complained about getting over 3 million per year. Stick it Osi.

28. cytofed says: Jul 24, 2012 9:42 PM

Osi is on point! If more players or people is like Tebow there will be less bastard child and deadbeat dad which in turn, equal to less crimes.

29. bigjimatch says: Jul 24, 2012 9:42 PM

are you suggesting that if the Commissioner were to cede control of the league disciplinary policy, the players would suddenly stop getting DUIs and assalting people? Please.

30. giantssb42champs says: Jul 24, 2012 9:48 PM

I love this guy.

31. gpete1962 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:06 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

your right!! I’m sick and tired of reading about the cowboys, lions and eagles anyway!!

32. seahawksbmx says: Jul 24, 2012 10:24 PM

I was pretty much indifferent about Osi and Tebow, but after reading that I can now say I’m a fan of both. Good piece.

33. defscottyb says: Jul 24, 2012 10:26 PM

Good comments Osi couldn’t agree more. Making it rain in strip clubs, dui’s, domestic violence, drug charges… how’s that working for out you?

34. steele9153 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:45 PM

just because you are religious does not mean you are moral.

35. phillyphan83 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:49 PM

says the guy who been in a twitter war with lesean McCoy, calling him a girl and such. real classy osi. maybe you should take your own advice and stop talking smack during the offseason. you don’t see Tebow doing that!

36. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 24, 2012 11:24 PM

I’m assuming all the thumbs down responses are from John Elway or other Broncos players.

37. painsyndicate says: Jul 24, 2012 11:25 PM

cytofed says: Jul 24, 2012 9:42 PM

————-

LOL. What he said, with much better spelling.

38. trollaikman8 says: Jul 24, 2012 11:43 PM

I can’t help but agree with Osi but isn’t he the same dude who’s in twitter feud with L.McCoy?

How un-Tebow like.

39. hobbstweedle says: Jul 24, 2012 11:56 PM

Sorry, but yankin’ the teeth outta the dog that guards the hen house is about as stupid as it sounds.

Good job, Osi.

40. easyeddie says: Jul 25, 2012 12:09 AM

steele9153 says: Jul 24, 2012 10:45 PM

just because you are religious does not mean you are moral.
    ——————————

If you’d bother to read the entire article, you’d realize that Osi never mentioned Tebow’s faith.
    You’re right though, being religious does not mean you are moral — doing the right thing does and that’s Tebow.

41. allseeingone says: Jul 25, 2012 5:04 AM

Good for Osi! He has the courage to stand up for Tim Tebow and for classic values.

The problem with today’s players is typical of most everybody in our society today. People think being nice and good is boring, and being bad is exciting.

The think it should be the new norm, and will not accept critical advice or punishment from anyone…not just the commish.

We need more people like Osi to speak up for good people.

42. qj1984 says: Jul 25, 2012 6:05 AM

I have to think that we the fans are a little bit responsible to. The best way to get the point across is always to hit someone in the pocket book and we don’t do that. Think about it. If your local grocery store had 31 employee arrests in 6 months and the employees kept their jobs, would you shop at that store? No. Your reason might be different from the next persons but it would all lead back to those 31 arrests. Whether it was high prices or safety.

43. djstat says: Jul 25, 2012 8:03 AM

The players need to grow up. They could kill someone driving drunk. Has nothing to do with Goodell. That’s just an excuse

44. pixelito says: Jul 25, 2012 8:27 AM

People should be more realistic and strive to be somewhere between Tebow and Dez Bryant.

45. 1rockyracoon says: Jul 25, 2012 8:48 AM

He takes one trip overseas and now he is an enlightened philosopher. There are hundreds of NFL players who live good lives and ate positive re models. Maybe if the shoved their religion down our throats like Tebow does maybe Osi would love them.

46. michiganhockey11 says: Jul 25, 2012 9:40 AM

“He takes one trip overseas and now he is an enlightened philosopher”

Philosopher, no. Enlightened, perhaps. Osi just came to realize first hand that 90% of the world doesn’t live like we do or have what we have here. Ask anyone who has gone on a trip to a third world country for whatever reason and see people living in dumps (literally). They come back to and see people complaining about their cell phones and it makes them sick. You get culture shock coming back to the states.

Osi is dead right. Bag on Tebow for his faith all you want. I’m sure he doesn’t care. Him putting the words “God” and “Jesus” in his sentences isn’t shoving it down people’s throats. Has he tried to get you to go to church with him? Is he one of those nut bags that says natural disasters happen because of “this group” or “that group”? No. More players should be like him.

47. urworstnitemare58 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:13 AM

He’s right. Tebow is the guy I would want dating my daughter, just not leading my football team as a QB. Maybe if he moved to TE he would be a probowler as he has the heart of a lion but the arm of a Bubby Brister.

48. jcjaguar says: Jul 25, 2012 11:11 AM

“But if the Commissioner would surrender full control of the hammer, maybe the players would agree to greater penalties — and in turn buy in to and necessarily respect the system of discipline and deterrence.”….WRONG. “Maybe if he wasn’t so mean to us, we would be good”….yeah, right.

Roger Goodell is the like the daddy that some of these knuckleheads never had.

BTW…my earlier post was deleted…guess MF has a thin skin.

49. footballchic777 says: Jul 25, 2012 12:04 PM

Well said Osi! Fans are tired of the childish behavior of these overpaid idiots with NO appreciation! GROW UP!

50. badintent says: Jul 25, 2012 12:36 PM

Tebow helps children and families in a deadly area of the Phillippines known as Mindineo. This island has a long running religious war between Muslims ( now helped by Al-Quida) and Christians. The community center he and his parents run is in a deadly( nasty poisonous snakes ans spiders) jungle. It makes an American inner city getthoe look like Disney world. Just ask any Vietnam vet about fighting in Nam’s jungles. It takes real stones to go there and work there. And for free. Read Tebow’s book, it’s about his life as a football player , but more importantly, about him as a great human being and as a real man that sees the world as a place he can do good in for others. I’m not a part of his religion but I respect his convictions to help team mates to be better as well as himself.