Chad Johnson predicts a “monster season” for himself

Chad+Ochocinco+New+England+Patriots+v+Washington+r0j3oG80M9Il Getty Images

Anyone who believes that Chad Ochocinco struggled in New England because he wasn’t allowed to be himself will be happy to hear the latest from the rechristened Chad Johnson.

Johnson told Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald that he’s going back to his old ways with the Dolphins after his “personality was controlled” by the Patriots last season. Apparently part of going back to the vintage version includes making bold pronouncements about the year to come.

“This season is going to be a monster year. I don’t care who’s playing quarterback. I’m going to have a great year,” Johnson said. “The first day I get to camp, everybody’s mouth can drop [the bleep] open. My game is at the point where it doesn’t matter who starts at quarterback. Oprah can play quarterback and we’ll be all right.”

Oprah might actually be a better quarterback than some of the guys the Dolphins have trotted out there in recent years. At the very least, everyone in the stadium would be going home with a new car.

Johnson’s been throwing hints in this direction since his name was still Ochocinco, including a tweet warning Roger Goodell that there would need to be plenty of fines sent in the wide receiver’s direction. The whole interview with Jackson is worth a read as Johnson lays out all the ways he believes this year will be different than his disappointing season in New England. And he also sent a message to anyone who thinks his outspoken ways will be a distraction to the team.

“That’s a distraction??? The tweeting?” Johnson said. “My answer when people say that is, ‘Shut the bleep up.’ Be real! How many arrests have we had this offseason? But my tweeting is an issue? Get an [expletive] life, people.”

Chad Johnson is back in name and attitude. If he’s back in on-field production, the Dolphins will be very happy he fell into their lap.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Chad Johnson predicts a “monster season” for himself”
  1. nyjets1017 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:01 AM

This guy is one of the few things right in the NFL.entertains the fans and stays out of trouble

2. jmikeh73 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:01 AM

hey! hey! look at me! I want to be relevant again!

Shut the (bleep) up, Chad.

3. brutus9448 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:03 AM

Actually moore was the 12th best QB last year in the NFL and finished the season 6-3. Garrard went to probowl in 2010 before getting injured. I doubt Oprah can put up those numbers.
    Do you people who write these articles actually watch football? How did you get this job?

4. spellingcops says: Jul 25, 2012 10:03 AM

The Chad Johnson of old is awesome. I can’t wait.

5. whodeyinpa says: Jul 25, 2012 10:04 AM

After a 15 catch season last year, his definition of monster might not be the same as the rest of us.

6. tvguy22 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:04 AM

Let me be among the first to say LOL.

7. garyman1 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:06 AM

FIRST, he has to make the final roster.

8. chuckmuncie says: Jul 25, 2012 10:06 AM

If they cut back the playbook and give him a few simple routes to run he can be effective and have a big year.

9. t2live says: Jul 25, 2012 10:09 AM

The Old Chad is definitely back. I’m rooting for him to do well. We will see.

10. tcostant says: Jul 25, 2012 10:10 AM

I think he is right, he will DOUBLE last year’s stats. Hey wait a second, that would still not be so good…

11. pskotte says: Jul 25, 2012 10:11 AM

The only way Chad has a monster season is if he can throw the ball to himself.

12. Patskrieg dot com says: Jul 25, 2012 10:20 AM

No one in New England ever doubted he was a great athlete and Patriots fans loved the tweets and the whole Ocho song & dance.

But how does a team suppressing your personality make you not learn the playbook?

13. orthomarine says: Jul 25, 2012 10:31 AM

Chad will bring swagger back to Miami.

14. Getoffmylawn! says: Jul 25, 2012 10:31 AM

There go his excuses for sucking this year. Now what will he blame it on?

15. therealhardt says: Jul 25, 2012 10:37 AM

johnson relied on his speed, and I have heard pats players say he had obvioulsy lost a step last year…

I doubt an over 30 wr whose success was predicated on natural ability, who couldn’t comprehend the pats playbook, and who had to have his buddy TJ Whosyamama tell him what routes to run in cincy has any success in miami…

PS – at least he and TO will have plenty of time to hang out come week 10 or so…

16. gsthebest says: Jul 25, 2012 10:42 AM

Chad also predicts that he will atleast learn HALF the dolphins’ playbook this season!

17. turnmymicup says: Jul 25, 2012 10:50 AM

People really upset me with these simple minded comments. Half of you can’t even learn the playbooks in Madden but you bash Chad for not grasping one of the more complex playbooks in the NFL. So just because he didn’t fit into New England’s scheme his career is over? Stupid. Just plain stupid. Players go into New England ALL THE TIME and don’t make the team. Only reason Chad Johnson is such a big deal is because he is Chad Johnson. He wasn’t playing good and he wasn’t being his normal talkative self in NE. Equals BORING! Personally im glad the old Chad is back. Deep inside the Haters are too. GO PHINS!!

18. jaredo10 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:56 AM

You have to love this guy. Great attitude, hope to see alot of salsa dances in the Endzone this Season

19. FinFan68 says: Jul 25, 2012 11:14 AM

I hope he finds his work ethic again. My guess is he is simply trying to regain his celebrity status. I think his antics are stupid but he is not one of the NFL’s troublemakers. Assuming he makes the team and plays well enough to make an impact, I hope Philbin benches him each time he gets one of those dumb “look at me” penalties. That’s not just him having fun; it’s hurting the team so he can get some camera/twitter time. Dumb/unprofessional/selfish stuff. I’d rather have team first guys.

20. cliverush says: Jul 25, 2012 11:18 AM

Jermaine Wiggins, Reche Caldwell, David Patten, David Givens, and others managed to have great years with Tom Brady. Troy Brown and other solid players learned the playbook and excelled in the Pats system. Randy Moss set records with this team. Chad, I am sorry to say was not able to take advantage of the opportunity presented him. He is a player living in the paast. This is a young man’s league now.

21. mannyfresh209 says: Jul 25, 2012 11:27 AM

So, when he has a great season, what will you naysayers be claiming? That you knew this was coming, and he just needed a change in scenery?

I do know this: Chad Ochocinco Johnson would run circles around anybody on this forum. Put that in your playbook, children.

22. realdealsteel says: Jul 25, 2012 11:29 AM

I think that if Moore will be more then serviceable. He’ll have his second year in command of the same offense so he should be better. And there were a couple of games where he really looked good.

And I’m not a Dolphins fan by any stretch.

23. tjacks7 says: Jul 25, 2012 11:33 AM

Sure you were irrelevant with Tom Brady at QB but if Oprah plays you’ll have a monster year. Got it.

24. homelanddefense says: Jul 25, 2012 11:36 AM

turnmymicup says: Jul 25, 2012 10:50 AM

_____________________________

So which excuse is it then. Did he not know the playbook, or were they “holding the brother down”.

There is a big difference between not fitting in a system and not knowing where to line up when coming out of the huddle.

And he was talkative in New England. He has constatnly on twitter and facebook (which I dont have a problem with btw) and always getting interviewed. He became a non story because of his lack of production, not the team holding him down.

25. hickoryhigh says: Jul 25, 2012 11:49 AM

26. slugga540 says: Jul 25, 2012 12:01 PM

I enjoyed Ochocinco in New England and was hoping he would help the team. Best of luck to him in Miami…but I hope he has 2 bad games against the Pats

27. effthenfl says: Jul 25, 2012 12:08 PM

Can’t believe this clown is in camp but TO isn’t.

28. 2ruefan says: Jul 25, 2012 12:09 PM

Chad Johnson’s issue is NOT that he doesn’t have anyone to “throw it to him”. He had Tom Freaking Brady last year and caught about a dozen passes in a YEAR. What does THAT tell you?

29. kuta82 says: Jul 25, 2012 12:36 PM

Oh he predicts all kinds of things on the field but it comes true…lol..He gets beaten time and time after time. Too much talk..same old Chad……He has good heart though..he is very good to his fan outside football.

30. 69finfan says: Jul 25, 2012 1:16 PM

Whatever CJ did or didn’t do last year in NE or anywhere else previous to that is totaly irrelevant to what is going to happen this year. The past is the past, nothing about it can be changed. Individuals with far more football inteligence than anybody on this site made the decision to bring CJ in for a chance to make the team better. If it works out great, if not that’s ok too. Lastly CJ, if he makes team will be wearing #85. That number was given to another player but when CJ got to the Dolphins they gave him that number.

31. bushwoodcc says: Jul 25, 2012 1:21 PM

I give Johnson credit…he didn’t pick up the offense in NE, but he didn’t throw nayone else under the bus and he did not become a malcontent or locker room distraction over it.

However as far as production, he struggled to get on the field becasue he couldn’t make the reads and know where he was supposed to be. Becasue of that he might have been a bit tentative out there, which also might be why you hear that apparently lost a step. It will be interesting to see how he does in an offense without so many read recognize options for the receivers. I suspect that if he can just line up and run his route he can still be a better than average receiver. He had a few flashes like that last year, the most memrable was going straight up the sideline.

Unfortunately he just could do that often enough…at the end of the season he only average just under 1 more catch a game than you or I did.

32. fdugrad says: Jul 25, 2012 1:45 PM

Maybe when he says ” Monster Season ” it means he will change his name to “” GODZILLA.”

33. grandpoopah says: Jul 25, 2012 1:49 PM

He’s not there to help the Dolphins win. He’s there to help Hard Knocks ratings.

34. sj39 says: Jul 25, 2012 1:52 PM

There was nothing complex or hard to pick up in the Pats playbook. It’s quite simple and it is called the dink and dunk. Chad needs a QB that can throw a deep, accurate pass.

35. CKL says: Jul 25, 2012 2:06 PM

bushwoodcc says:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:21 PM
    ______________________________
    I was rooting for him, thought he was a good soldier in NE and I wished him well in Mia. Then.. I read the quote from the linked article in this post where he says this: “Asked about reports that he failed to completely learn the Patriots offense, he said, ‘The stuff that I do well, I do extremely well. The Pats know what I do well. You put that player in position to make those same plays he’s been making his whole career. It’s not rocket science.’ ”

NOW I am upset with CJ. He’s implying that BB didn’t use his best attributes. One thing that’s a for sure about BB, that’s one of his strengths, using what a guy does best. He’s widely known by Pats fans to have said “Don’t tell me what a guy CAN’T do, tell me what he CAN do”.

Meanwhile NONE of the Pats have said ONE negative word about him, yet they are somehow the villains for not letting him be him? See the most recent article by Tom E Curran to put an end to that myth.

36. mwindle1973 says: Jul 25, 2012 2:22 PM

Problem is he’s been saying this off and on since 2008. He threw a public fit in the preceding off season to try and get a trade. When he had to return to the team there was immense pressure for him to just shut up and play. And he did, but his numbers suffered. So by the end of the season he gave the “I can’t play good unless I trash talk” stuff he’s saying now. So in 2009 he came back and was the “old Chad” but it didn’t matter, his play remained inconsistent. Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com wrote in an article a couple months ago, that there are those in the Bengals organization that believe Chad has not been the same WR since he took a nasty hit from Browns SS Brian Russell in an early 2006 game. That he no longer lays himself all out for a catch. IDK if that’s true or not. His stats so it’s not true. Because he was 87 for 1300+ in 2006 & 93 for 1400+ in 2007. He was injured for about half of 2008 and that’s where the stats start to drop off. But as a fan who watched all the games televised those 2 years, I will say that in 2006 is when he starting having problems with drops and lapses of concentration going over the middle. At the same time I’ve seen in that time, Ray Lewis put a knockout hit and CHad jump up and take a boxing stance towards Ray as a joke. I was always a huge fan, still have my jersey from 2004. I really pull from him. And I think he still can be a 1000 yd WR. But I don’t think he’s going back to his career numbers in Miami. He picked the wrong team to be looking for an instant turn around. I’m not knocking Miami. It just I think Chad needs 3 things to succeed. First he needs to be matched with the right OC and offensive system. Second he needs to be the #2 WR. And third he needs an established QB. We know he doesn’t have 2 of those things in Miami. And if they are going with the west coast, it will not be a good fit. He needs to be in a vertical offense. One where he can be isolated on the weak side and take advantage of the fact that he has to be double and triple teamed when in isolation. Further more he has to play Rex Ryan twice. Ryan has already coached against Chad in 19 games. At one time stopping the Bengals meant stopping Chad, and at that time Rex was DC at Bal and it was his job to stop Chad. Belichick had him for a season. And Fitzpatrick was Chad’s backup in 2007 and the starter in 2008, so he has some inside knowledge on Chad as well. Alone these factors aren’t a big deal. But mixed with Chad’s recent struggles and the lack of support and a solid QB in Miami, I’d think these things make it that much harder for him to have a “monster season”. If I was him I would be happy with finding a role for myself in the NFL that could keep me in it a few more seasons. He’s sitting at #26 in career receiving yards. Another 2000 yds and he’s sitting at #14 and has a great chance at the HOF. Another 3000 yards and he’s up to 7th and probably a shoe in. But Cris Carter sits there now at #8 with 13,900 yds, but he continues to be shunned. So you never now what is going to happen with the current journalist controlling the HOF vote. And also with an outdated system for induction, that needs more flexibility and probably needs to induct more players each year as well.

37. elitekane says: Jul 25, 2012 2:29 PM

We got Chad Johnson for his route running…… Let me remind Chad he didn’t succeed cause he couldn’t learn the playbook and he ran the wrong routes.

38. gisellichek says: Jul 25, 2012 2:35 PM

Dr Suess must be the Dolphins new offensive coordinator…

39. mrjay37 says: Jul 25, 2012 3:39 PM

Chad Johnson is a deep ball receiver we all saw wat happened wn he ran short route across the middle against the Ravens, Ray Lewis almost decapitated that man. I say that to say this yea he had Tom Brady last year but he is not an accurate deep ball thrower, he prove that against the Ravens last year in the AFC Championship. Look at all Tom Brady’s successful receivers, Wes Welker slot receiver short routes, Brown, and Eldmen ate the same The Tight Ends are huge Hell Oprah cudnt throw a pick if she wanted 2 aiming at them and Moss, how can yu over throw one of the fastest if not the fastest receiver in the league, plus all he ran were Go’s and Posts…Chad is freakish athlete but he didnt fit n in NE because he lacked certain abilities or attributes (not a slot or big in size) and so did his QB (No Deep Ball)

40. kelvinmchale says: Jul 25, 2012 4:05 PM

Chad Johnson will forever be a punch line in New England. He is a liar. He says he needs to talk smack to play well? I’ll never forget a Sunday night game against the Jets when he was with Cincy. He told Costas before the game that he was going to go off on Revis, or he would change his name back to Johnson. Well, the big mouth got shut down by Revis, and it wasn’t until three years later he finally changed his name. He’s a joke, just like T.O. has become. Just retire already.

41. guypatsfan says: Jul 25, 2012 6:56 PM

turnmymicup says: Jul 25, 2012 10:50 AM

————————————————–

Guys like Tiquan Underwood come in and have a cup of coffee with the Patriots, and they don’t have a problem learning the playbook. Donte Stallworth hasn’t played for the Pats in five years, and he won’t have a problem learning the playbook. Ochostinko’s problem is that he has a learning disability, and with a playbook as complex as the Pats it not surprising that he couldn’t learn it. Brady wasn’t going to hold his hand all season long, he’s got more important things to do. He also lost a step, which was obvious to anyone. Between Ochostinko and Fat Albert the Pats laid a couple of eggs, but it didn’t hurt them too bad, considering they made it to the SB, which is more than I can say for the Fish.

42. guypatsfan says: Jul 25, 2012 7:04 PM

mrjay37 says: Jul 25, 2012 3:39 PM

———————————————–

You’re obviously not a Patriots fan, or if you are, not for long. I’ve followed Brady since he first set foot in New England, and I can assure you that Brady can throw a deep ball with as much accuracy as the best QBs in the league, in fact as good as Peyton Manning. No QB can be 100% accurate all the time when throwing the deep ball, they all miss once in a while. Ochostinko couldn’t run deep because he didn’t know the playbook and he’s lost a step from his days in Cincy.

43. frankdatank23 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:38 PM

Says hickoryhigh :
    “Has anyone else realized that Ochocinco only changed his name back to Johnson because he won’t be wearing #85 if he plays for the Dolphins this year. That number, worn by Mark Duper, is retired.”
    ——————————————————————————

No. No one has realized that, because your makings things up. 1- He changed his name back the day of his wedding ( a week ago ).. 2- #85 isn’t retired at all. It was held by rookie Rashard Matthews who gave it up for Chad. 3- Speaking of Duper, do you know why Chad is obsessed with #85 ?

44. homelanddefense says: Jul 26, 2012 9:44 AM

mrjay37 says: Jul 25, 2012 3:39 PM

____________________________

When did you start watching football, 2008? Go back and look at Brady and Randy Moss playing together in 2007 and let me know if he can throw a deep ball.

Brady had no problem hitting Chad in the HANDS with a 50 yard bomb againsts Buffalo in week 3 that he dropped…….must have been poorly thrown right?

Search youtube for “Ochocinco drops TD pass versus Bills “