John Fox sees “tremendous improvement” from Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning AP

There’s no bigger question heading into the 2012 season than the health of Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, but there’s no question in the mind of Broncos coach John Fox that Manning is ready to go.

Fox said today at the start of Broncos training camp that Manning, who sat out all of last year and had multiple neck procedures, has made big strides in the three months since he signed with the Broncos, and even since the Broncos finished their Organized Team Activities.

“I think, physically, he’s made tremendous improvement,” Fox said of Manning. “I’m not sure I’ve ever been around a player with as intense work ethic, both physically and mentally. So he’s worked very hard. He didn’t take the last five weeks off by any stretch. By all indications he’s made great progress and we’re happy with where he is.”

Fox added that the presence of Manning as the team leader has the Broncos pumped up heading into camp.

“Obviously we’re very excited, and Peyton’s done everything possible both physically and mentally to get ready for this,” Fox said. “I know he’s excited, the rest of our team’s excited. He’s a tremendous competitor and we’re very blessed to have him.”

It’s easy to see why Fox is excited. A healthy Peyton Manning in Denver is as big an addition as any team in the NFL has had this year.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “John Fox sees “tremendous improvement” from Peyton Manning”
  1. skoobyfl says: Jul 25, 2012 9:10 PM

Except of course Mario Williams making the Buffalo Bills D-line the best in the NFL.

2. dasportsninja says: Jul 25, 2012 9:21 PM

If Peyton Manning plays more than 4 games this season, I will crap my pants at my work Christmas party in front of my boss and his wife.

3. jimthebuilder27 says: Jul 25, 2012 9:24 PM

Never liked Peyton Manning or John Fox. I hope the Broncos crash and burn.

4. brutus9448 says: Jul 25, 2012 9:27 PM

He’s healthy now. Lets see if he stays healthy. We haven’t even played with pads yet.

5. huskersrock1 says: Jul 25, 2012 9:31 PM

You better suck up to the coach Mr. Fox.

6. turdfurgerson68 says: Jul 25, 2012 9:37 PM

Stick a fork in him…he’s done.

7. brintfatre says: Jul 25, 2012 9:39 PM

0bama thinks manning should slide…

8. bronc24 says: Jul 25, 2012 9:40 PM

Dasportninja Better buy some tidy wipes & be ready to look like a buger eating moron in front of your boss

9. rg3enoughsaid says: Jul 25, 2012 9:50 PM

Im sorry, but my gut tells me he’s finished. In Washington, we’ve heard coachs say: “we’re very pleased where he is.” In reference to our QB’s… NOT good.

dasportsninja… thats hilarious… im gonna hold you to that. I chugged a red solo cup of parm. Cheese and beer at my last Xmas party, for $56. Nothing is worse than that

10. nflhof says: Jul 25, 2012 9:52 PM

I was expecting Fox to say “we should have kept Tim Tebow because Peyton doesn’t look good at all”.

11. rcali says: Jul 25, 2012 9:53 PM

Well I hope, you did pay close to 20 mill for this dude.

12. istateyourname says: Jul 25, 2012 9:57 PM

Gee, I don’t really recall three months ago anyone saying that he needed to improve tremendously…but OK , I guess tremendous is good even though he didn’t need to get tremendously better. And I think it is tremendous that they are letting us know exactly how he’s doing now. Tremendous.

13. nygdriveforfive says: Jul 25, 2012 9:57 PM

@ skoobyfl
    The bills have a nice D line but let’s not go calling them the best in the nfl. That honor goes to New York Football Giants. You need to accomplish something as a line before calling your self the best.

14. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:03 PM

pump yr brakes john fox, lets see him get hit by a 300 pound lineman and get up multiple times, before we declare this the 2004 version of peyton

15. denverdave3 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:03 PM

“I think, physically, he’s made tremendous improvement”

Tremendous Improvement? If that’s true, then he must have been way worse than they said he was when they signed him.

In other words, Fox is just blowing smoke.

16. johnnybronco says: Jul 25, 2012 10:10 PM

Haters keep hatin. Your gonna crap your pants when D. Thomas leads league in long pass plays, and E. Decker catches 100+.

17. skell01 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:11 PM

dasportsninja says:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:21 PM

*********************************************
    You must eat Chipolte’ before you do it.

18. silencethecritics says: Jul 25, 2012 10:25 PM

If Manning stays healthy and Broncos dont make the playoffs, all hell will break loose. Tebow led them to the playoffs in his first full season… Just sayin…

19. maximusprime107 says: Jul 25, 2012 10:25 PM

@skoobyfl

Enjoy your 4 games with Mario Williams

20. beerbudsnbevo says: Jul 25, 2012 10:36 PM

*******************

Jesus….what the hell would you do to see your team win the Super Bowl?

21. beerbudsnbevo says: Jul 25, 2012 10:43 PM

It’s a strange twist….

Think about it….

Do teams go after Peyton even harder, knowing he is one good sack away from retirement?

Or do they show respect and play their same game, and treat him like any other QB?

My guess is the Raiders go ape s#!% on him…

And I’m not a Raiders fan

22. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 25, 2012 10:43 PM

skoobyfl says:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:10 PM

——-

Giants, 49ers, Eagles, Ravens…. Bills might take a few months to gel.

23. beerbudsnbevo says: Jul 25, 2012 10:44 PM

Never liked Peyton Manning or John Fox. I hope the Broncos crash and burn.

*****************

No room for hate on this blog….

Unless we are talking about the Eagles

24. psgrlinco says: Jul 25, 2012 10:47 PM

We’re heading to training camp in the morning. As my Steelers are meeting them right off the bat, I’m anxious to see how he does!

25. giantsfanlewis says: Jul 25, 2012 10:48 PM

Dashportninja

I’ll give you my e mail address. I would have to see this holiday card with you crapping your pants in front of your boss and his wife. You have to stick to it though. No reverting after 3 games

26. spankygreen says: Jul 25, 2012 10:50 PM

Please……stop with the work ethic……..most over used phrase in the English language………Most professional athlete’s have a great work ethic. I want to know if he can still produce with a not so good O-line…..once some blitzing LB cleans Meaning’s clock and have him looking out of his ear hole, then tell me about how his work ethic matters in the scheme of things……….Trust me, some unblocked LB will introduce himself to Peyton on a missed blocking assignment and God help the Broncos………….

27. johnnybronco says: Jul 26, 2012 1:54 AM

You guys talk about the o-line like they suck. How many yards Willis get last year? No lineman. An be expected to block for a qb that takesForever to deliver the ball # k.Orton too! Let’s see what these guys can do with a qb that knows where the ball is going before every one else

28. 1historian says: Jul 26, 2012 6:42 AM

I’ve said this for the last year – He’s one big hit away from making his HOF acceptance speech in a wheelchair. I would hate to see it but I think it’s almost inevitable.

With the money he has made I think the fact that he is still playing is extremely selfish – he should think of his family.

29. forthelove says: Jul 26, 2012 8:36 AM

“tremendous improvement” … “made great progress” … “done everything possible” ….

Either this is a smoke screen to keep other teams in the dark about where he really stands, or people should be concerned about Peyton’s long-term health.

30. rg121594 says: Jul 26, 2012 8:54 AM

why people hating as you know Peyton had neck surgeries so you expect him to have beeb perfect there is always room for improvement and if u didnt know Peyton was consistently the least sacked quarterback in the league so on odds he really wont get hit although you never know. He is one of the greats and it will be shown this season.

31. gooboy6 says: Jul 26, 2012 9:10 AM

Can’t throw deep ball anymore, he will be in trouble with fading arm in bad weather but hey broncos, keep spinning it

32. awdlmd says: Jul 26, 2012 9:24 AM

Rub some dirt on it.

33. jaytea24 says: Jul 26, 2012 9:29 AM

I love all the guys that keep talking about how Peyton is ONE HIT AWAY FROM……..

Bunch of arm chair QBs who think they know more than a team of medical specialists who say he is fine to play… Let’s not forget that he also got physicals from the Cards, Titans, and Niners medicals staffs and passed them all…

You guys that keep saying he is “one hit away” are just hoping that if you say it enough times that it will come true.. why? because you’re scared……

34. burds358 says: Jul 26, 2012 9:31 AM

dasportsninja says:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:21 PM

*******************************************

Pics or it didn’t happen.

35. jkores44 says: Jul 26, 2012 9:35 AM

Jon Fox may have Peyton. But his former team has a Superbowl guarantee from their lineman. Yahtzee!

36. urworstnitemare58 says: Jul 26, 2012 11:03 AM

Peyton does’t get hit much because of his work ethic in the film room. He ia able to read alot of defenses and adjusts to them. The Bronco’s have a pretty good line as Kyle Orten was near the top last year in passing yards before being demoted and sent packing as he is not a winner. The Broncos defense is outstanding and will always keep them in the game and with Manning in there with his ability and leadership. I predict they win it all within three years. If not dasportsninja will crap his pants at his work Christmas party in front of his boss and his wife.