Lions sign veteran cornerback Drew Coleman

Drew+Coleman+Cincinnati+Bengals+v+Jacksonville+nxoJEX0myq2l Getty Images

For the second time today, the Detroit Lions have signed a veteran free agent cornerback who previously played for the Jets.

The first signing was Justin Miller, and now the Lions have signed free agent cornerback Drew Coleman as well.

Coleman was cut by the Jaguars in May after one disappointing season in Jacksonville. He was previously a slot corner for the Jets from 2006 to 2010, playing in 67 games and starting nine.

The Lions’ secondary was already shaky before they cut projected starting cornerback Aaron Berry following his second arrest of the offseason. Adding Coleman and Miller gives the Lions more depth, but if either one of them is a starter, the Lions’ secondary is in trouble.

Coleman and Miller have both been strong special teams players, so their presence could help shore up another weakness of the Lions.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Lions sign veteran cornerback Drew Coleman”
  1. polegojim says: Jul 25, 2012 5:58 PM

You do the best you can – no regrets for cutting Berry loose.

FRONT line needs to bring the heat and limit QB drop, rush throws, and help the CBs.

Go LIONS!

2. blackandbluedivision says: Jul 25, 2012 6:00 PM

More solid nickel corners. Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and even (dare I say it) Christian Ponder are all licking their lips.

3. jagsandliquor says: Jul 25, 2012 6:15 PM

Good luck coleman….thought he did a pretty good job last year….I was suprised the jags cut him

4. jasncondit says: Jul 25, 2012 6:17 PM

Mayhew knows what he’s doing. The guy played corner so he knows if a guy is worth it or not.

5. swagjag says: Jul 25, 2012 6:31 PM

If by disappointing you mean was the best slot corner the team has had in about 7 years.. yes. Quite disappointing. Shocked he wasn’t re-signed.

6. jimmylions says: Jul 25, 2012 6:53 PM

I don’t know much about either of these guys, but I’m glad to see Mayhew signing corners.

Worst case scenario, if this assessment is true and they aren’t great DBs, but are great special teamers … I’m happy to see us shut down kick returns and make teams start deep.

7. tecmobowl34 says: Jul 25, 2012 6:55 PM

Yeah, these guys’ll do great against Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, Jerome Simpson…right

8. therillest says: Jul 25, 2012 7:03 PM

Jag fan here!

Coleman was actually pretty good at the nickel spot (LB light). They never tried him at corner and when him and his agent began inquiring about it to the GM he seemed to fall out of good graces with the EGO driven Jags management in favor of a untested rookie……not a terrible pick up for the Lions!

9. jimmylions says: Jul 25, 2012 9:16 PM

Anytime we sign a corner I’m happy!

10. metzgerf says: Jul 26, 2012 6:49 AM

I have to admit, I was hoping they’d complete a trade for a bigger name after they released Berry. I guess I’m back to hoping that one of their rookies turns into a star.

11. scoregasmic says: Jul 26, 2012 9:47 AM

I honestly think berry is overrated Coleman is probably just as good as him, I like the pickup GO LIONS!