Only 12,500 show up for Packers shareholders’ meetings

Packers Financials Football AP

After tripling the number of shareholders during a recent stock sale, the Packers were bracing for a record turnout at the team’s annual meeting of persons who have bought stock* in the franchise.  Perhaps they shouldn’t have.

According to Charles Davis of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, only 12,500 showed up at Lambeau Field, far short of the 1998 high-water mark of more than 18,000.

The number of tickets ordered for the event had the Packers expecting more than 25,000.  But it could be that the same folks who plunked down $250 for a share of stock* asked for tickets not to attend the event but to add the tickets to their collection of Packers memorabilia.  Right next to their share of stock*.

Another 21,000 shareholders watched the event online, via a feed available only to shareholders.

The Packers switched this year from a four-guest to a no-guest policy, after the recent stock* sale.  Team president Mark Murphy said the team will consider revising that approach for next year, in light of the actual attendance this year.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Only 12,500 show up for Packers shareholders’ meetings”
  1. steelerhypocrite says: Jul 25, 2012 2:38 PM

Their too busy servicing the farm animals…

2. derfshambeaux says: Jul 25, 2012 2:39 PM

They should have said Tim Tebow was giving a sermon on the mound and they would have gotten their expected turnout. Fish and loaves for all.

3. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Jul 25, 2012 2:40 PM

I don’t see why you hate on the stock sale so much. No matter what team I root for, if I had the money, I would send a nice donation any day instead of hearing constant stories about struggling to get tax payer money. Not everyone in the state roots for the same team or any team for that matter. So why take their money when the true dedicated fans can do it? And why not get some recognition? I’m proud to be an owner, despite being one of many many thousand because it shows support of my team, and I will never have to deal with any Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones screwing up my team.

4. comeonnowguys says: Jul 25, 2012 2:45 PM

I thought this was *the* perk of the glorified fan club that was Packers ownership. What happened?

5. philshady25 says: Jul 25, 2012 2:45 PM

Here we go again w/ you ripping on the stock. Get over it already. They offered a free commemorative ticket if you chose not to go so people wouldn’t hoard the actual tickets to get in. Also a ton of fans have to work on Tuesday mornings as well as live outside of Wisconsin and couldn’t make it to Lambeau. People take shots at us cause we have more fans that shovel our stadium than you can get in yours for a game.

6. contra74 says: Jul 25, 2012 2:48 PM

Now I know the minimum number of unemployed packer shareholders* there are: 12,500

7. sj39 says: Jul 25, 2012 2:53 PM

Aw, let him rip on the stock. If nothing else it keeps him from whining about 34 cents on the dollar for a moment.

8. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 25, 2012 2:56 PM

They heard that Ted Thompson would be speaking.

9. countyk66ers says: Jul 25, 2012 3:11 PM

It was 95 degrees in the shade.

10. claymath52 says: Jul 25, 2012 3:15 PM

If you are questioning fan loyalty just look at the stock sale numbers and season tickets waiting list. Luckily, my Dad put me on the list when I was 10 (20years ago) so I should see tickets in my retirement.

11. flyerscup2010 says: Jul 25, 2012 3:30 PM

Not a bad attendance considering the no guest policy. I’m sure that a good amount of attendance in the past was made up of non-shareholder guests. Not everyone is a shareholder, especially before this Super Bowl, and most people don’t like going to things alone if circumstances provide for that. 12,500 non-guests is probably a higher (or at least similar) number of actual shareholders than the Packers had attend in 1998 when 18000 total people were in attendance. Without the no guest policy, they probably could have approached 20,000 I would think.

12. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jul 25, 2012 3:47 PM

Somehow I have more respect for Packer fans now. That’s still a very small amount of respect, though.

13. cusoman says: Jul 25, 2012 3:48 PM

packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says:Jul 25, 2012 2:40 PM

———————————

Until the NFL treats all teams the same and allows others to do activities like this, expect the ire to continue. We don’t care about the history surrounding it, bottom line is that one team gets to do things financially that none of the others do. Fans of other teams would LOVE to fund new things with things other than taxpayer money, but the NFL doesn’t allow it unless it’s coming right out of the owners’ pockets.

14. patriots123456 says: Jul 25, 2012 3:49 PM

People stayed home because they weren’t handing out Cheese Hats this year.

15. thankheavenfornumber14 says: Jul 25, 2012 4:19 PM

Well haters I bet that is at least 12400
    more attendees than any other team has in the NFL

16. skittlesareyum says: Jul 25, 2012 4:24 PM

cusoman says:
    Jul 25, 2012 3:48 PM
    packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says:Jul 25, 2012 2:40 PM

———————————

The Packers have no other owners. It seems to me like things are even: 31 other teams get to fund things with owners’ money or taxes, and the Packers get to fund things with stock sales or taxes. I don’t see how this is unfair.

17. wozzmann1955 says: Jul 25, 2012 5:05 PM

well,the lil wimpy lookin puke dosent like the stock sale,,too bad.If you didnt look like a whipped puppy I’d say different.

18. nolahxc says: Jul 25, 2012 5:56 PM

skittlesareyum says: Jul 25, 2012 4:24 PM

Then sell the team to an owner. And move them to Los Angeles…and the name of the football team will have a whole new meaning!

19. thankheavenfornumber14 says: Jul 25, 2012 6:45 PM

nolahxc says:
    Jul 25, 2012 5:56 PM
    skittlesareyum says: Jul 25, 2012 4:24 PM

Nah that’s not a good idea why name a team after your favorite hoby

20. 7ransponder says: Jul 25, 2012 7:44 PM

skittlesareyum says:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:24 PM

———————–

It’s not about who has what right now, it’s about the ability for a team to do whatever they want. Say the Vikings didn’t get their stadium tax bill done and the team was threatening to move. If the NFL allowed other teams to be owned by a community of people, then there could be an attempt to buy the team out by the state with a bill that calls the team a state asset and sets up public ownership the same as the Pack has right now. Under current NFL rules that’s not possible because they are only grandfathering the Packer situation in. On the flip side, and I know there’s no way in hell this will ever happen, but what if the Packers are run to the ground financially and they needed an owner to come swoop them off their feet to survive and stay in WI – I’d be willing to bet the NFL would allow an owner to buy out the “shares” and take control of the team

That’s where the disparity lies. Not in who can do what and who’s doing what right now, but in what options are available for fans of teams and states that want to keep teams as valuable assets, which they are.

21. stevenfbrackett says: Jul 25, 2012 9:10 PM

When the temperature is in the high nineties and the heat index hovering between 105 & 110, do you want to sit around for hours in an open air venue? Given the conditions, 12,500 is remarkable.

22. jimmylions says: Jul 25, 2012 9:14 PM

” only 12,500 showed up at Lambeau Field, far short of the 1998 high-water mark of more than 18,000.”

Sounds like a lot of left over coffee and doughnuts.

23. lifewithbeautiful says: Jul 29, 2012 1:01 AM

Not one mention that shareholders could also watch the meeting online for the first time in history.

21,000 logged on to view the meeting. Combine that with the live attendance, and we have ourselves “only” 33,500 fans.

Then again, let’s not allow facts to get in the way of jealous bias.