Morris Claiborne gets early test at Cowboys camp

Morris+Claiborne+Dallas+Cowboys+Minicamp+dF_q9sOqlUNl Getty Images

The Cowboys have been waiting a long time to see what they got when they traded up to the sixth pick to select cornerback Morris Claiborne in April, so it’s not surprising they had no patience when they finally got Claiborne on the field.

Claiborne missed all of this spring’s OTAs and minicamps while he rehabbed after wrist surgery. He’s gotten a green light to get back to work and the Cowboys didn’t waste any time putting that green light to the test during a practice for rookies on Wednesday. On the first play of team drills, the Cowboys called a deep pass play on Claiborne’s side of the field. The ball fell incomplete, but the message was received.

“I know I’ve got to get out there,” Claiborne said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “They’re not going to wait on me, just like I came out here today and they didn’t try to ease me in. They threw me right in there and had me go get out there, and I was looking forward to that. I knew they were coming. During game times, I know they’re coming. We did a good job of playing it. I got a little behind on it, but the corner from the other side came over and gave me some good help.”

Even if the pass had resulted in a touchdown, having Claiborne on the field was a win for the Cowboys. With the wrist injury out of the way and Claiborne’s contract signed, there are no more obstacles in the way of installing him as a starting cornerback. Given how vital Claiborne is to the Dallas defense’s hopes of improving this year, this probably won’t be the last time he’s tested in practices designed to get him up to speed as soon as possible.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Morris Claiborne gets early test at Cowboys camp”
  1. dccowboy says: Jul 26, 2012 9:38 AM

Later in the practice they said he looked really good in press man.

2. stunzeed5 says: Jul 26, 2012 9:44 AM

Kid is going to get eaten alive this year.

3. bucrightoff says: Jul 26, 2012 10:16 AM

The last thing this kid needs to be doing is taking any tests…

4. andyreidisarrogantandfat says: Jul 26, 2012 10:22 AM

Kid is going to get eaten alive this year.

—————————————

You sound like you know what you are talking about, so please expand on why you think this is true. I’m not saying you are wrong I just want you to drop knowledge on this subject and not just hate.

5. ibleedblueandsliver22 says: Jul 26, 2012 10:37 AM

I just hope this kid works out as a cowboy fan our d really sucked last year romo can only do so much he can’t control blowing leads in the 4th wen he gave us a 14 point lead

6. bkostela says: Jul 26, 2012 10:46 AM

did romo overthrow miles austin on this play too?

7. boyshole25 says: Jul 26, 2012 10:55 AM

Hate the boys but they got a top three d

8. peachypete says: Jul 26, 2012 11:15 AM

ibleedblueandsliver22 says:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:37 AM

___________________________________

Romo can control it if he isn’t the one blowing those leads by throwing picks (Detroit game) or fumbling away points in addition to throwing picks (Jets game).

Romo had a really good season, but let’s not act like him choking away those 2 games didn’t keep Dallas out of the playoffs. That and their usual December implosion.

9. rodeoclownclint24 says: Jul 26, 2012 11:20 AM

Romo and Austin aren’t even practicing its rookies and injured players but good joke…not Claiborne might struggle just like any rookie but not eaten alive he will be practicing against dez and miles don’t get much better than that.

10. bucrightoff says: Jul 26, 2012 11:56 AM

Lol Boys top 3 D? 49ers, Steelers, Ravens. And thats the end of that discussion.

11. bvolke says: Jul 26, 2012 12:00 PM

They should have drafted Stephon Gilmore. I’m willing to bet he’ll be the better pro. Claiborne just came out of the more high profile college program. Nobody even threw at Gilmore in college because he blanketed every receiver he faced.

12. bluebongzilla says: Jul 26, 2012 1:18 PM

I would blame the Jets loss more on the Eagles’ new punter than Romo, just sayin.

13. truecowboyfan says: Jul 27, 2012 11:41 PM

@peachypete- You are entering a conversation with Romo that the media has blinded you with…

The Jets Game
    A. Romo fumbled on the 1 yard line. MARK SANCHEZ and the offense still had to go 99 yards.
    B. The Jets blocked a punt in that comeback for a touchdown. Was that Romo’s fault too?

The Detroit game there was no excuse for his performance but not the Jets game. All QB’s have bad games EVERY year. Didn’t Brady have a game last year where he threw 4 INTs?

Regardless, taking your argument, Romo had 2 bad games (early in the season) out of 16. We still went 8-8, so there’s 6 games that our DEFENSE STUNK UP THE FIELD!!!