Sparano won’t say whether Holmes will be a problem

closing_gate-300x229

We’ve developed a Ghostbusters-sized team, and one of our biggest challenges is to avoid crossing streams.

Gantt and yours truly each have pounced on recent remarks from a reformed Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man regarding receiver Santonio Holmes.  The new guy got his story posted first.  But there was one area of non-overlap in the comments from Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano to Sal Paolantonio of ESPN regarding receiver Santonio Holmes.  And that allows me to salvage a chunk of the story that I laboriously hunted and pecked.

Asked directly by Paolantonio whether the man whose opinion regarding the two-quarterback system has caused some problems will himself be a problem in 2012, Sparano clammed up.

“I’m not gonna get into that, I’m not gonna comment that way, but I would say that everything I know right now with Santonio, he and I have gotten off to a really great start here and respect one another that way and I think the relationship will be a good one,” Sparano said.

Everyone has gotten off to a really great start with Holmes.  The question is whether it will finish well.  In Pittsburgh, it didn’t.  And, after his second season in New York, it’s not heading in a promising direction.

Look at it this way.  When the offense strayed in 2011 from “ground and pound” to “chuck and duck,” Holmes wasn’t getting the ball as much as he wanted it.  Now that it’s back to ground and pound, we’ll soon be hearing Holmes’ opinion on a regular basis regarding his feelings on blocking for Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, and Tim Tebow.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Sparano won’t say whether Holmes will be a problem”
  1. cooklynn17 says: Jul 26, 2012 2:30 PM

so I guess that means he is going to be a problem.

2. hcat44 says: Jul 26, 2012 2:31 PM

Yeah yeah Holmes caught the winning TD in the Superbowl against the Cards…….but other than that he’s not that great. He’s definitely better than your average WR, but he’s definitely not going to be in discussion with the elite wide-outs in the league. Especially with his diva attitude. We get it you want the ball! All playmakers want the ball! But stop whining! Instead go out and be a leader for the Jets since they apparently don’t have one other than maybe Tebow.

3. areyoudue says: Jul 26, 2012 2:32 PM

PFT = All Jets, All The Time…

Looks like the feeling is mutual though. Check out this twitpic of Bryan Thomas signing his contract; what is that website on in the background???

4. schmitty2 says: Jul 26, 2012 2:34 PM

I, along with anyone else on here can speak for Sparano… YES!!!!!

5. infectorman says: Jul 26, 2012 2:53 PM

Dear PFT Editorial Staff:
    I respectfully submit my revised Story Tagline Title for your review:

“Sporano wont comment on whether or not Holmes will continue to be a “Malcontent-diva, over-rated PoS, A-Hole, featherufflin’, trouble-makin’, gossip queenin’, ball-demanding, locker-room-dividin’, Tebow-hatin’, money-grubbin’, cheeba-burnin’ Son-of-a-b*tch”!!!”

6. mcjon22 says: Jul 26, 2012 2:54 PM

He’ll def be a problem when they are only throwing the ball 15-20 times a game and his OC is celebrating field goals like he just won the power ball

7. grogansheroes says: Jul 26, 2012 2:59 PM

If he thinks he didn’t see the ball enough last year…..

8. 202folife says: Jul 26, 2012 3:13 PM

why ask Sparano? last I checked Rex was the head coach. Sparano was ran out of Miami because of his ultra conservative game plan and his fist pumping after field goals, why the press wants to pump him up I have no idea. welcome to stalling inside the red zone Jets. Go Phish!

9. jc327 says: Jul 26, 2012 3:19 PM

Big deal, Sparano never actually says anything.

10. brooklynniner19 says: Jul 26, 2012 4:04 PM

Don’t worry Jet fans, when my 49ers come to town week 4 I think. Dashon Goldson will put his lil a$$ in check real quick.

11. cubancigar10 says: Jul 26, 2012 4:12 PM

Being a dolphin fan I challenge anyone to review all his interviews and determine if indeed he said anything. He drones on and on and says absolutely nothing.

He is the master of nonsense just like Leo Dorsey from the Bowery Boys. I still hear Slip Mahoney scream, “Satch you irrigate me!”

12. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jul 26, 2012 5:19 PM

You know, offseason being as long as it is; I almost forgot the Jets hired Tony Sparano as their offensive mastermind/guru.

I mean, is there anything better than that?