UFL will return for a fourth season, with a TV deal

pg2_g_ross_manningjr_600 Getty Images

Plagued by a lack of exposure and an ensuing lack of interest, the UFL has lost millions since it launched three years ago.

But the minor-league that once had major-league aspirations will, as expected, return for a fourth season.

According to the Associated Press, the UFL has struck a deal with CBS Sports Network to have two games per week televised during an eight-week season that launches September 19.  Games will air on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed.  We wouldn’t be surprised if CBS is paying nothing to air the games.  Or if the UFL is paying CBS.

It’s been announced that Marty Schottenheimer and Jim Fassel will return as head coaches of franchises in Norfolk and Las Vegas.  Other teams are expected to be headquartered in Omaha and Sacramento.

No mention has been made to date regarding changes to the league’s rules for player departures to other leagues.  We’ve previously been told that the UFL will now allow players to leave without penalty at any time for the UFL or the CFL.

Refusal to apply that approach from the outset has contributed to the general lack of interest in the UFL.  At this point, the league’s best play would be to do just enough to persuade the NFL to buy the thing and transform it into a low-level, in-season minor league.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “UFL will return for a fourth season, with a TV deal”
  1. mancave001 says: Jul 26, 2012 7:44 PM

Oh good. Now I feel better.

2. bigdaddyms1 says: Jul 26, 2012 7:51 PM

oh joy

3. tomtravis76 says: Jul 26, 2012 7:52 PM

Too bad they can’t have a spring league with all NFL teams having a development team which begins the weekend after NCAA basketball championship and culminates with a championship a week or two before training camp starts.

Development teams could play their games in the pro stadiums since the stadiums will go unused(all new ticket sales-less expensive), you could even give that team a new identity, so you can sell new merchandise, plus it makes the pro team better with guys playing in the pro teams system getting ready for the NFL season. New TV deals. Seems like alot of money to be made.

4. johnnycash19 says: Jul 26, 2012 8:23 PM

I’ve tried to watch a UFL game before. But those uniforms were atrocious. I had to turn it off.

5. vtdcfan says: Jul 26, 2012 9:00 PM

could be cool if it ran opposite of nfl schedule, who doesn’t want year round football

6. redskinsrt says: Jul 26, 2012 9:21 PM

I hope that they figure it out. It isn’t competition for the NFL but it isn’t bad to have on in the background while doing other stuff. Go Norfolk!

7. 305fan says: Jul 26, 2012 9:37 PM

I can’t wait to start my Fantasy league.

8. dtr3e says: Jul 26, 2012 9:54 PM

I’m happy to hear their coming back for another season. Hopefully the NFL does buy the league, and moves the season to the spring. It will make a huge impact for the NFL to develop players to make the 53 man roster. And who doesnt want more football?

9. dirtybirds233 says: Jul 26, 2012 9:58 PM

Just web I thought my life was over

10. monkeyhateclean says: Jul 26, 2012 10:41 PM

Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Terrell Owens

That’s the punchline.

11. idealisticapathetic says: Jul 26, 2012 10:54 PM

if they played on Fridays and Saturdays, people might actually watch, it could create some buzz and they might make some money and attract more talent.

(fat businessman) “nyah… have them play on wednesdays… that’ll work…”

12. flyeredup says: Jul 26, 2012 11:02 PM

I think Patsy Shurmur coaches a UFL team

13. yeti47 says: Jul 26, 2012 11:07 PM

LETS GO OMAHA NIGHTHAWKS! Hopefully ill be in the stands for everygame for the 3rd straight year in Omaha!

14. NoobTubeTV says: Jul 26, 2012 11:35 PM

WTF IS THE UFL?!

15. huejackson says: Jul 26, 2012 11:37 PM

great news, i love the UFL. I think it will be a fun leauge if they can get more older guys and 3rd string NFL qbs. This should be a place for guys like Dovan Mcnabb and Tereel Owens, guys can go out there and show NFL teams they can still compete

16. chuckyd317 says: Jul 27, 2012 12:05 AM

OMAHA NIGHTHAWKS!!!!

17. rekingcrew says: Jul 27, 2012 1:25 AM

Watch the 30/30 documentary about the USFL and tell me you wouldn’t want spring football. Just market it as what it is, no more no less. The CFL is fun as hell too.

18. dymone says: Jul 27, 2012 11:46 AM

Oh my. McNabb, TO, Favre. All the greats Makin a comeback.

Seriously though, I love football in all shapes and forms, and you just gave me two more days to watch.

My wife may hate you but I love you!

Go Norfolk!!!

19. donaldduckmg42 says: Jul 27, 2012 5:01 PM

If NFL buys the UFL, they could run a minor league the same way they do with MLB. If a player is struggling, he can go down to the minor league to try to break his slump

20. pulpfictionado says: Aug 21, 2012 2:36 PM

Move the season up or back a little bit and play the games on weekends. Put a team in Los Angeles.