Darrelle Revis: Third holdout was “close”

Darrelle Revis AP

When it comes to the Jets, and Darrelle Revis, even the lack of drama contains its own variety.

The cornerback avoided his third holdout of his career when he reported to camp Thursday, but he is clearly less than fully gruntled.

It was close [to] happening . . . for me holding out,” Revis told reporters in Cortland, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

Revis made $32.5 million in the first two years of his deal, the “Band-Aid” years, and now that he’s in the $7.5 million per year portion, he’s obviously not thrilled.

He’s not so unhappy he’d stay away and risk $30,000 a day fines, but to suggest there are no issues would be inaccurate.

Revis said he decided “a couple days ago,” to show up on time. He said there were brief discussions between his agents and GM Mike Tannenbaum, but they “didn’t go nowhere.”

“I never said I was unhappy with my contract,” Revis said. “I know what I signed a couple years ago. There were talks a couple years ago about a ‘Band-Aid’ and that was that. Now, we’re here and we have to move forward.”

As soon as he said that, he added: “something’s got to happen sooner or later in terms of my future with the team.

“I want to be a Jet for life,” he said. “But if management doesn’t see fit, then I have to move on.”

We should all be thankful for the Jets. If they didn’t exist, all the retired soap opera writers would have to get together and invent them, just for our entertainment.

And it’s hard to imagine they’d look any different than the real thing.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Darrelle Revis: Third holdout was “close””
  1. jameswestphal says: Jul 27, 2012 8:18 AM

That, my friends, is what a champion sounds like.

2. dspyank2k11 says: Jul 27, 2012 8:24 AM

Whew that was close, Stevie Johnson would have missed you Revis.

3. ddarlak says: Jul 27, 2012 8:27 AM

should have held out longer the second holdout knucklehead…

can’t stand these tards who sign a contract and then think it’s unfair two years later….duh, don’t sign it in the first place…..

4. cash804 says: Jul 27, 2012 8:29 AM

Who cares if you held out? The Jets will always be NY’s “other” football team.

5. philyeagles5 says: Jul 27, 2012 8:35 AM

at least hes honest on how big of a turd he is

6. tsizzlehotpiss says: Jul 27, 2012 8:45 AM

Yeah, you were “close” to holding out, Darrelle, then you realized the Jets could fine you $30,000 a day and hold onto you for 3 more years if you pulled a no-show. In this game of chicken, you flinched. Tannenbaum & Johnson called your bluff. Game over. Now get to work!

7. bigdaddyms1 says: Jul 27, 2012 8:49 AM

he showed up to avoid 3 more yrs added onto his deal

8. massappeal12345 says: Jul 27, 2012 9:29 AM

lebron….revis

revis….lebron

9. jetstizzi85 says: Jul 27, 2012 9:47 AM

Are people really still bringing up Stevie Johnson? The guy has 1 good game against Revis and people think he is amazing. Why not bring up the uncovered TD pass Stevie dropped! CLASSIC!!

Sounds to me like Revis learned from his last 2 holdouts. You miss time with the team and it hurts you (literally). Glad to see him in camp with his teammates

10. ebones1985 says: Jul 27, 2012 10:47 AM

Why do so many people have a problem with a guy who is a top corner in the game wanting to get paid like a top corner in the game? If he was underperforming, the team wouldn’t think twice about dumping him. Teams cut player all the time with years remaining on their contracts but far fewer people take issue with that than the player that don’t honor their original agreement. As fans, don’t we all tune in to see the player anyway? If Revis makes $20 million or $20 thousand this year it won’t affect my pay check one bit.

11. jr507 says: Jul 27, 2012 11:08 AM

@jetstizzi85 – You’re forgeting to multiply Johnson’s stats by the “I hate the Jets” factor.

With those rose-colored glasses on, Johnson has clearly dominated Revis with his 65 yds per game average leading to the Bills impressive 0-4 record vs. the Jets over the last two years.

12. hatesycophants says: Jul 27, 2012 12:15 PM

I am generally in favor of players getting paid as much as the market will bear. However, $40 million for 3 years for an aging CB is overcompensation.

13. backindasaddle says: Jul 28, 2012 5:46 PM

This guy is nothing but an ultra-greedy, self centered dirt bag. He doesn’t give a crap about the. Everything yuttered from his mouth, and every action he takes, shows indisputably he cares only about himself. Kudos to Tannenbaum for having the testicular fortitude stand up and not cave into this Prima Donna scum bag. I hope his playing ability immediately falls off in dramatic fashion and he is forced to get on his knees and slurp it up just to get a veteran minimum contract from any team. I’m really take issue with guys that show no humility and demonstrate nothing but selfish values. Revis is the poster boy and he is an extremely distasteful human being to me.