Mike Mularkey wants to fine players $10,000 for talking injuries

stalin AP

Every new coach wants to put his own stamp on a team.

Mike Mularkey apparently wants to imprint his with a sledge hammer.

The Jaguars coach told Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union he planned to fine players $10,000 if they talk about injuries to the media.

Mularkey delivered that news in last night’s team meeting.

“They saw a lot of numbers last night,” Mularkey said. “One of them, it was up there more than once, was about speaking about injuries. [Head trainer] Mike Ryan talked about it, I had it up there more than once. Coordinators were told prior to that meeting every two weeks, two to three weeks I want you to stand in front of that room and tell them we’re not going to talk about injuries.

“Even if mom says, ‘How are you feeling?’ If you tell you mom, go call coach Mularkey. I’m going overboard.”

Mularkey wasn’t totally serious about the fines for talking to parents, but apparently to everyone else.

“Anything I know about a guy, anything I know is hurting on him, any comment he makes will play into how they attack a team or a position,” Mularkey said. “I just don’t think it’s anybody else’s business. … If I feel like it’s going to jeopardize us or compromise us, I will not talk about specific injuries. Right now we’re really not in a position where I don’t feel free to talk about them because I feel pretty good about our team right now. But I will be the only voice.”

Listen, that’s fine to play tough guy. The Jaguars could use a little order (as long as it doesn’t come with Jack Del Rio’s ax).

But maybe, just maybe, they’d be better off getting their quarterback to quit looking so skittish in the pocket, or having Justin Blackmon call a cab, or trying to get their best player into camp on time.

Call me crazy, but I think any of those things might be more important to the Jaguars improving more so than making sure somebody doesn’t tell Vito Stellino their ankle hurts.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Mike Mularkey wants to fine players $10,000 for talking injuries”
  1. Tylers's Sportsdebates says: Jul 27, 2012 1:28 PM

Its thier body why does it matter to the Jags if they talk to the media about it. This is America where we all have the freedom of speech and all of us are tax payers

2. suhdidntstompanyone says: Jul 27, 2012 1:39 PM

Have you considered the possibility that they could worry about all 3 things simultaneously?

3. larrydavid7000 says: Jul 27, 2012 1:42 PM

thats just a bunch of malarkey.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 27, 2012 1:48 PM

Well they aren’t popping off like those braindead crows in Charlotte. That’s one positive thing.

5. norseyapper says: Jul 27, 2012 1:54 PM

But wait…the league office insists that every team give an accurate weekly injury report identifying the injured area and to what degree it is likely to prevent said player from participating.
    Just ask our more vetran coaches like those with the Patriots how critically important this is. Ok, maybe that’s not the best example.

6. bigvinnyinjax says: Jul 27, 2012 1:57 PM

I’ve been a fan since day one and while I’m not sure if I support the coach on this one, I can say that I totally and completely support all references to the Del Ego ax catastrophe. Well done, sir.

7. junglehawgs says: Jul 27, 2012 1:59 PM

It is a free country, but if you want to work for the Jaguars and the boss tells you not talk about (injuries), I wouldn’t. Or he’ll have the “freedom” to fine your butt. Eventually, fire it.

8. njbucsfan says: Jul 27, 2012 2:39 PM

Mularkey should be fined $25k when he talks about any loss. Silly fines…

9. squashstroup says: Jul 27, 2012 2:49 PM

when the head coach in buffalo Mularkey made it a team rule not to talk about injuries. He thinks deception will help him win games, it doesn’t, it just makes for frustrated fans. but hey, if you like this you will love it when he calls a screen pass at the two yard line.

10. jagswinbig says: Jul 27, 2012 2:52 PM

I agree with not discussing injuries. No different then the common workplace. If my employee tells me a medical condition I can’t go around the office letting everyone know. I could get fined 10,000 or more probably. This writer needs serious help if he is basting the Coach for wanting to be the voice of injuries and saying he should worry about contract issues.

11. danielcp0303 says: Jul 27, 2012 3:26 PM

Jaguars will not pay you big money or let you talk about your own body to the media, even if it’s a common cold. Are their any Jags fans that feel good about where the franchise is heading?

12. stevenfbrackett says: Jul 27, 2012 9:39 PM

I understand the point you were trying to make using the picture of Stalin – but the man committed more crimes against humanity than even the universal gold standard, AH. To compare him to a coach being upset about his guys talking too much about football is very offensive.