Peyton Manning isn’t concerned about taking a hit to the neck

Peyton+Manning+Denver+Broncos+Training+Camp+oyOnSw9UgTjl Getty Images

The excitement about quarterback Peyton Manning’s arrival in Denver has been tempered somewhat by one lingering question.

What’s going to happen to Manning’s surgically repaired neck when he takes a full-speed hit for the first time in more than a year?

The answer to that question is worth millions to the Broncos and Manning. Tom Jackson of ESPN asked Manning whether he has any fears about that moment and Manning answered in the negative.

“I have no concern over that,” Manning said. “I’m not begging James Harrison to blindside me by any means but I feel I’m going to be able to handle that.”

If Colt McCoy is reading this, you have our permission to disagree with that assessment.

Manning’s lack of concern isn’t surprising. You can’t be a successful quarterback in the NFL if you’re playing in fear of getting pasted by a linebacker coming around the edge. It’s the cost of doing business and Manning knows that as well as anyone after years of playing in the league. That doesn’t mean he’s looking forward to Harrison, whose Steelers will be Denver’s first opponent this season, crushing him to the turf.

“So James, I love you and don’t take this as a challenge now,” Manning said. “Go easy on me if you can.”

Not much chance of that, but it doesn’t sound like Manning would have it any other way.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Peyton Manning isn’t concerned about taking a hit to the neck”
  1. sportsmeccabi says: Jul 27, 2012 10:54 AM

I’m not that concerned either. The one thing that has definetly been consistent with Manning is that he is hard quarterback to get pressure on because he gets the ball out so quickly. Nobody even noticed that the colts offensive line was straight trash for his last 3 years there.

2. arlingtonsynn says: Jul 27, 2012 10:54 AM

Why should he?

Contrary to the opinions of many of the posters on here over the past few months, the point behind a neck fusion surgery is to make your neck stronger than it would normally be.

His neck is structurally fine. His nerves are what is going to end his career within the next five years.

3. dasportsninja says: Jul 27, 2012 10:56 AM

Please Peyton-Don’t make it to 4 games! It would be highly embarassing for me and my family!

4. Stiller43 says: Jul 27, 2012 10:56 AM

Sounds like a challenge to me. Go get em silverback

5. racerx1225 says: Jul 27, 2012 10:57 AM

We’ll see how he feels after they play Oakland. If he makes it thru the game.

6. nepaseahawk says: Jul 27, 2012 10:57 AM

regardless of him admitting its a fear or not.. medically speaking 4 surgeries and fused vertebrae should cause some concern most definitely

7. raiderapologist says: Jul 27, 2012 11:02 AM

Harrison probably doesn’t even know who Payton Manning is.

8. prior913 says: Jul 27, 2012 11:09 AM

Little over zealous to call the Colts line “trash”. Not the best by any means and Peyton did make them better, but they were good enough.

9. unfkwthabl says: Jul 27, 2012 11:12 AM

Ryan Clady got owned by Hali a few times last year… Manning should watch the tape a few times and prepare for his from his back side.

10. hanktheking says: Jul 27, 2012 11:12 AM

Raider fan needs a life worse than he needs a playoff berth.

11. milehighsalutebroncos says: Jul 27, 2012 11:19 AM

Manning will do just fine. He is ready for some football

12. derfshambeaux says: Jul 27, 2012 11:31 AM

I’m trying to think of the last time Peyton got laid out, but nothing really comes to mind. Always one of the best at getting rid of the ball and avoiding pressure.

13. colts419 says: Jul 27, 2012 11:33 AM

He should not be worried. He has the awareness to get the ball out of his hands. He made his o-line look so good, despite them struggling especially against 3-4 d’s and unique looks. Despite how respected this guy is i suspect a lot of people who didnt watch him play every week 16 weeks a season really do not know how Manning has mastered the subtle aspects of qb that dont show up in stat lines. No matter what type of stats or wins any qb in the future earns there will never be another like peyton. Go broncs.

14. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jul 27, 2012 11:35 AM

He should be concerned…go get him James!

15. phuzzyd says: Jul 27, 2012 11:35 AM

I don’t even know who Payton Manning is, but Stabler’s comment about Harrison is ridiculous considering how dirty the Raiders were in the 70’s.

Just remember dasportsninja, one persons embarrassment is everyone else’s entertainment.

16. villa41 says: Jul 27, 2012 11:46 AM

It doesn’t matter if Manning is healthy. In fact, I hope he is so the Broncos have no excuse when it all unravels this season. The division goes through Oakland. I’ve said it, Palmer has said it, and now McKenzie has said it.

The fact is even a healthy Manning can’t cover all the holes on this team. Manning was great in his prime, and he isn’t in his prime anymore after 4 neck surgeries and a year totally away from the game. Maybe he’ll still be very good, but that won’t be good enough to simply will this medicre to bad team to the play-offs or Super Bowl.

This was a 1-4 football team before Tebow took over. It wasn’t just 1-4 because Orton was so bad. It was 1-4 because there were issues all over the roster like a poor offensive line, old used up RB’s, and no run defense. Those issues are still there. This team isn’t close and it just needs Manning to put it over the top. This team needs a lot more help than Manning to be a real contender. You’ll see when this team is 7-9 or 6-10 at the end of the season. That sounds about right.

17. denverdave3 says: Jul 27, 2012 11:54 AM

I like Peyton as a person and I like the fact that he calls his own plays, but he’s a million years old and playing behind a weak center. That means he will be hit before he gets to the pocket. The Broncs will have to keep a full back in to protect the passer, so he is not going to have as many down-field options.

Broncs will be 7-9 and third in division

18. jimr10 says: Jul 27, 2012 12:01 PM

It is hard for me to believe how many people want to see him get hurt… sad

19. ravenator says: Jul 27, 2012 12:02 PM

I’d be concerned, Harrison has no idea how to tackle

20. 7pints says: Jul 27, 2012 12:03 PM

Is it possible this year’s batch of Raider fans are even more out of touch with reality than last years??? Scary.

21. denverscott says: Jul 27, 2012 12:29 PM

Raider fans get more delusional every year. My thinking is that the constant exposure to the RF waves coming off their home arrest ankle bracelets are causing brain damage. Too much detachment from reality to blame crack alone.

22. frankiemontana says: Jul 27, 2012 12:31 PM

If you are a Raider fan you have to love it when a story about Manning gets comments about the Raiders and their fans, love us/hate us we don’t care because we are RAIDER NATION and will be coming to a town near you.

23. samapoc says: Jul 27, 2012 12:34 PM

Just as long as no reward money is exchanged, Harrison can continue to end careers with illegal hits with minimal repercussions.

24. randyschwimmer7 says: Jul 27, 2012 12:34 PM

Yeah, you are “Faider Nation” and you will be coming to town near us to give our team ANOTHER W. Thanks for that.

25. spankygreen says: Jul 27, 2012 12:44 PM

I don’t recall Peyton ever getting hit very hard up to this point in his career. And with his recent surgeries, I’m sure during the referee meetings for the upcoming season they’re told to be very protective of Manning and blow the whistle quickly when they play the Raiders and VERY quickly when they play the Steelers. Peyton has a better chance of getting injured walking to his car after the game than during the football game. God forbid that harrison fellow from Pittsburgh get a free shot on Peyton. Congress will hold hearings……

26. glac1 says: Jul 27, 2012 12:48 PM

Why should he be concerned. He already got paid and realizes when he does get hit his career is over.

27. ernie ernie says: Jul 27, 2012 12:53 PM

I am not concerned about him taking a major hit to his neck, or people in Alaska being cold, or my neighbor getting his house egged.

28. radrntn says: Jul 27, 2012 12:53 PM

fact is , it is 5 neck surgeries, with the 6th one on it’s way

29. blaksteele says: Jul 27, 2012 12:59 PM

Not a Peyton fan, but I do hope he comes thru this season unscathed. I do like to see the best players play. With that said, he did sit out an entire season with that injury, so that is a little concerning.

30. 1nationraidernation says: Jul 27, 2012 1:03 PM

Lets face the fact…the past few years the league did everything possible to protect Manning, and Brady….I think now the league has youngers guy that they have labeled untouchable like stafford, rogers, and now Luck…. i think Manning will play all year, and for him its a good thing Broncos have no prime time night games in the winter months at home. A cold night hit would hurt even more, and might lead to his 6th surgery.

I hope he stays healthy, and may the best team win the west which has been close the past few years…….GO RAIDERS!

31. nashwaakkidd says: Jul 27, 2012 1:20 PM

pocket qb’s are protected much more by the rules/refs. scramblers , well , not so much. i’m ok with that. as a raiders fan , i hope we’re finally on the right track. a year or two with palmer and get a franchise type qb during that time. Barkley or Jones would sure look good in silver n black!

32. snaponrules says: Jul 27, 2012 1:24 PM

Like getting the ball out fast is going to help at all.
    James ” Cheap shot” Harrison could care less if the ball is gone or not.

33. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 27, 2012 1:36 PM

i’m almost certain tom jackson would have cut off his dong if manning had asked him to during that interview.

34. CKL says: Jul 27, 2012 2:18 PM

spankygreen says:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:44 PM
    _________________________________
    The most recent horrible hit I saw him take was the one that started all his neck problems vs Wash in 06 I believe.

35. spellingcops says: Jul 27, 2012 2:43 PM

villa41 says: Jul 27, 2012 11:46 AM

———————————————-
    Just fit the Raiders for their rings now. A washed up, semi retired INT factory said so, a funny looking dude with a mild afro said so, & some drunk, crack smoking moron out in Oakland said so. Good thing there’s an off season, or idiot Raider fans would never be able to say anything or have any hope for anything.
    Commitment to Excrement.

36. realdealsteel says: Jul 27, 2012 2:47 PM

I don’t think he get out of the Steelers game without injury. If your the Steelers, and you know that the other QB is a blind side hit away from being out the game, you do it.

They are going to loop Woodley or Harrison around and he’s going to get hit. Lights out.

37. explosionsauce says: Jul 27, 2012 3:17 PM

It’s a good thing Gregg Williams isn’t coaching this year or he might be.

38. mjkelly77 says: Jul 27, 2012 3:32 PM

jimr10 says:Jul 27, 2012 12:01 PM

It is hard for me to believe how many people want to see him get hurt… sad
    _________________

What’s sad is that manning shopped himself around the league and chose not the best team but the team that guaranteed him the most money. He is greedily exposing himself to injury. He know he’s done and he knew that last year. If he makes it through three games this season I’ll be shocked.

39. masterblaster78 says: Jul 27, 2012 4:13 PM

Why should he be bothered about an injury? He already got his money.

40. rubicon202 says: Jul 27, 2012 4:45 PM

He’s Peyton Manning, he’s great and but believe Peyton will get it! If ur a Broncoes fan, you’ll be holding that breathe…

41. rubicon202 says: Jul 27, 2012 4:51 PM

A lot of Broncos fans are almost as bad as Redskins fans…almost. So happy Denver thinks Peyton is the “one” I could have swore the same faithful thought that of Tebow?

42. denverscott says: Jul 27, 2012 9:11 PM

glac1 says: Jul 27, 2012 12:48 PM

Lord I don’t know which is worse. A band wagon Pitt fan, or a die hard, delusional, face painting, rope smoking, prison butefuking Raiders fan. Honestly Pitt sniffers, WHO exposed your “awesome D” last year? Tim Tebow… with a PASS! GTH posers. And Oakland…. poor poor Oakland. I used to make fun of your fans at work but after awhile it was like kicking puppies…. just no sport. Paint your faces, and your daughters nuts (for insurance when you’re walking through the parking lot past the tail growers that think a 10 yr old is all the woman they need), go to the ticket booth (plenty left), and then realise that you’ll be out of range of your anklet, could’nt afford the ticket anyway, so head back to your ’86 Mote Carlo to do some more tail trunking. Not a more classless org in the NFL.

43. backindasaddle says: Jul 28, 2012 5:21 PM

My concern is not that his neck is going to snap in half like a dried out toothpick as soon as he takes a hit. My concern is that he won’t have the range of motion in turning his head side to side which will limit his peripheral vision. I would also have the concern of range of motion in his ability to raise his throwing arm up to his accustomed angle of throwing and release. I hope he can fully recover and perform close to the level we have become accustomed to seeing from him. But at his age and with having 4 NECK operations I’ll be amazed if he can ever achieve that high level again. Good luck Peyton… I’m rooting for you. (Just please don’t do anymore commercials)

44. backindasaddle says: Jul 28, 2012 5:30 PM