Jahvid Best: Concussions ending my career not a concern

Jahvid Best Pic Getty Images

Lions running back Jahvid Best, whose 2011 season was cut short by concussions, still hasn’t been cleared to practice. And Best’s history of concussions, going back to college, has led to some talk that he should never be cleared to play again.

But Best says that’s not the case — he’s not the least bit worried about concussions ending his career, and he hasn’t even thought about it.

That has not crossed my mind yet. Right now I’m waiting to be cleared,” Best told the Oakland Press.

Best’s use of the word “yet” suggests that there might come a point when shutting it down for good crosses his mind, but Best says he’s optimistic and excited about the upcoming season.

“I’m not disappointed. Like I said the only thing I’m worried about is doing everything I can to get cleared,” Best said. “Once I get cleared I’ll be back there.”

Best suggested that the NFL’s increased emphasis on careful treatment of concussions has led to the Lions being particularly cautious with him.

“If this was four or five years ago I probably would have played last season,” Best said. “Now that everything is under a microscope it takes a lot longer.”

But despite those concussion concerns, Best doesn’t think it will be much longer before he’s back on the field.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Jahvid Best: Concussions ending my career not a concern”
  1. 69finfan says: Jul 28, 2012 9:10 AM

Concussion lawsuit, book it!

2. kingbeason52 says: Jul 28, 2012 9:12 AM

Take your money and let it go so you can enjoy the rest of your life

3. bigjd says: Jul 28, 2012 9:13 AM

Maybe this is why he hasn’t been cleared.

4. funktron2x says: Jul 28, 2012 9:14 AM

Well reported item, MDS. You are dead on to catch his “yet”. He should be optimistic, but he also appears to know inside that nothing is guaranteed and that his odds may well be very long.

5. silverdeer says: Jul 28, 2012 9:16 AM

He has this mentality now that he is in the prime of his career. Someone from the NFL need to copy this and put it in a file to bring it back out in 10-15 years when he sues the NFL. That is if there is still an NFL after all of the existing lawsuits come to a conclusion.

6. talkingfan says: Jul 28, 2012 9:22 AM

BRUH , take a seat and start look for ur next/new life job!!!!!

7. snoilog says: Jul 28, 2012 9:23 AM

MAybe he should have a talk with Al Toon and ask him about his life after football
    I bet once they speak he will retire

8. NoobTubeTV says: Jul 28, 2012 9:32 AM

He knows the risks at this point and he is dumb enough to say he doesn’t care.

Any lawsuit he wants will be dismissed.

9. bluefan204 says: Jul 28, 2012 9:34 AM

Not concerned about possible severe brain damage down the road? Maybe it’s already too late, or maybe they’re just putting something in the water in Detroit

10. urlacher2000 says: Jul 28, 2012 11:13 AM

Jahvid Best is saying EXACTLY what every one of these former NFL players is/was saying when/while they were still playing. They knew some (probably not all) of the risks of playing football. Despite the risks…. not one of them was willing to walk away from the game. Because walking away from the game = no more paycheck.

11. sprtsfan1 says: Jul 28, 2012 11:28 AM

Not a Lions fan, but God Bless this kid. Hope he has a long successful career, just not against my Bears.

12. exhelodrvr says: Jul 28, 2012 11:49 AM

Good – the first step is for the teams to hold players back until they have recovered, even if that means ending some careers early.

13. hyzers says: Jul 28, 2012 1:54 PM

Why is it you people are so confident he will try to sue the NFL? Who are you guys, Miss Cleo?

There’s a lot more former players who haven’t sued the NFL than have. Just saying.