Packers TE claims offseason cow-wrestling has him stronger

Mad Cow AP

Among the staples of early training camp coverage are the stories about guys coming to camp in the best shape of their lives, either heavier or lighter in hopes of boosting their performances.

But Packers tight end D.J. Williams put a new twist on the old story, saying he arrived at camp stronger than ever thanks to an offseason of cow-wrestling in Arkansas.

Awesome.

“That works out real good, especially if you get them with the baby calf, they’re really aggressive,” Williams said, via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “That really helped. It starts out as cow-tipping but once they start charging, you have to go to defense mode.”

Williams was asked a number of times if he was joking, but stuck to his story, adding that cow-tipping had fringe benefits besides getting one ready for camp.

“I guess it’s three things: for a good time, for football, obviously, and it’s a good way to impress a girl,” he said. “It’s very impressive. Usually, you say, ‘Let’s go cow tipping’ and they feel it’s a good rush when the cows start chasing you and stuff.

“They think it’s to impress them, but I’m really working on my football stuff at the same time. Two birds, one stone.”

Whatever he was doing, Williams has come to camp stronger than before, his coaches have noticed, and he’s made an impression.

That’s all that matters, even if his training regimen is nothing more than a load of bull.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Packers TE claims offseason cow-wrestling has him stronger”
  1. karlpk says: Jul 28, 2012 12:49 PM

I have very high hopes for the Packer’s TE crew and this guy is one of the reasons. I think all the Packers should be working on their strength conditioning by wrestling cows – it’ll make for great football lore 20 years down the road.

2. flyerscup2010 says: Jul 28, 2012 1:11 PM

Is it bad that in my initial passing glance at this article’s headline, I thought it said “Patriots TE”

3. ragnarsbeard says: Jul 28, 2012 1:53 PM

Where do you think the line was drawn between business and pleasure?

HeeYaaaaa!!!!! Packer up

4. iluvbears says: Jul 28, 2012 1:56 PM

Wisconsinites are used to this type of behavior. Usually it is the women that wrestle the cows. I guess in Arkansas it is the men.

5. veence69 says: Jul 28, 2012 2:07 PM

If he was really tough, he’d quit wrestling cows and move up a couple of weight classes to Wisconsin women.

6. fooath says: Jul 28, 2012 2:17 PM

Usually when someone talks about “wrestling cows” or “eating horse meat” there’s a reason they’re noticeably stronger that has nothing to do with cows or horses.

7. kwf1224 says: Jul 28, 2012 2:43 PM

That’s pretty impressive.

8. brooklynniner19 says: Jul 28, 2012 3:13 PM

Forget the cow and go against a BULL ! When week 1 comes, neither cow or bull wrestling wouldn’t even compare to playing against Patrick “hitman” Willis!! ;)

9. classygentleman7 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:00 PM

10. stellarperformance says: Jul 28, 2012 5:35 PM

classygentleman7 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:00 PM
    When I first saw that a Packers TE went cow-wrestling, I thought it meant he was fighting Wisconsin women.
    ================================
    Easy mistake to make. It actually took place in Arkansas….with your sisters.

11. thejuddstir says: Jul 28, 2012 6:40 PM

If you’re a “packer” you gotta learn how to “like the animals”…….wonder if he got his own personalized “waders” like all Sconies have, they help to keep those critters from “gettin’ away” if ya know what I mean.

12. stevenfbrackett says: Jul 28, 2012 7:03 PM

Ha ha ha.

He should go spend some time in the off season with Jordy Nelson, who actually does go home to the family farm and fills his summer with farm work. Trust me, nothing does more for strength and cardio conditioning than stacking hay bales.

13. lifewithbeautiful says: Jul 29, 2012 12:42 AM

Gotta love that this training camp’s “stories” involve a non-story and an “extremely mild concussion”.

All the while, we’re underwhelmed by not-so-stirring battles for our backup positions, and practice squad spots.

Meanwhile, we get to read about other teams’ holdouts, injuries, and question marks.

When opposing teams’ fans are desperately grasping for straws, ripping on another team’s female fan base, that’s all you need to know about how lucky we are to be Packer fans.

14. thundersandpackers says: Jul 29, 2012 1:17 AM

he should be focusing on catching first but go packs

15. classygentleman7 says: Jul 29, 2012 1:52 AM

@stellarperformance
    I’m assuming you’re married to one of those heifers
    Btw, I have no sisters

16. chi01town says: Jul 29, 2012 2:56 AM

Dj williams done LOSSED HIS MINE.
    And what else was he doing with that cow? There is NO excersize a person can do by wrestling with a cow none. You wanna empress me wrestle a gorilla then you wont need to get in shape no more

17. apm says: Jul 29, 2012 11:31 PM

Thought for sure this was going to be about Tom Crabtree. That guy has an entertaining offseason-only twitter account.

18. packersownerandshareholder says: Jul 30, 2012 1:24 AM

Great story. Gotta love an activitey where you cam imprese a girl amd get some work training in at the same time.

D.J. Williams has a tone of talent (YouTube him) I can’t wait to see him get involved in the offense this year. The guy also has great character and has overcome a lot in his life. The former Mackey award winner will shine this year. GO PACK GO