Tim Tebow struggles, hears it from Jets fans

Tim+Tebow+New+York+Jets+OTA+2LpMYcg4Lt_l Getty Images

Tim Tebow showed off his arm at the Jets’ training camp today, and the reviews were not encouraging.

Tebow threw a few wobbly and underthrown deep balls and heard groans from the fans, Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger reports, and he heard it even more when he struggled while leading the second-string offense in 11-on-11 drills.

Tebow completed three of his eight passes while running the offense, and when he held onto the ball too long on another play, a fan yelled, “Throw it, Tebow!” His bad passes were met with jeers of “Tebow, come on!” and “That’s a Tebow ball!”

It’s worth noting, however, that training camp practice doesn’t take advantage of what Tebow does well. When Tebow thrives is when a play breaks down and he’s able to improvise. In training camp the quarterbacks wear red jerseys, the coaches blow the play dead when it breaks down, and a quarterback who can break tackles and make plays with his feet never gets a chance to show his stuff. So just because Tebow doesn’t look good right now doesn’t mean he can’t come in and provide a spark for the Jets during the season, any more than last year’s training camp reports that Tebow was the fourth best quarterback in Denver prevented him from eventually becoming the Broncos’ starter and leading Denver to the playoffs.

So don’t be surprised if the same Jets fans jeering Tebow on a Saturday in July are chanting his name on a Sunday in October.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Tim Tebow struggles, hears it from Jets fans”
  1. jdmonte11 says: Jul 28, 2012 3:14 PM

Every NFL fan wants Sanchez to get hurt so Tebow can come in and we can finally have closure. Personally, I want to see him fail because his option style gimmicky offense is unwatchable. If I wanted to see the triple option, I would watch high school football.

2. bobappraisals says: Jul 28, 2012 3:14 PM

He’s not a practice guy. He’s a gamer.

3. datnextone8 says: Jul 28, 2012 3:14 PM

The fix is in!!

4. blaksteele says: Jul 28, 2012 3:17 PM

Possibly a good football player, not a good QB.

5. rajbais says: Jul 28, 2012 3:23 PM

I never knew that many of the Jets’ fans came from Yankees Stadium.

For those who don’t know what I am referring to click on the link down below.

6. ultimatecardinalwarrior says: Jul 28, 2012 3:25 PM

“Throw it, Tebow!” is a genius piece of heckling.

7. bharr170 says: Jul 28, 2012 3:28 PM

Some guys just don’t practice well. He shows up when it counts though. The end of the 4th quarter.

8. cliffordc05 says: Jul 28, 2012 3:29 PM

If you have a quarterback who can complete a play only when the blocking breads down then he might need specific players on the field. Perhaps Wayne Hunter should be moved to left tackle.

9. scytherius says: Jul 28, 2012 3:31 PM

He is just a terrible QB ANYONE with a brain knows that.

10. spankymcwanky says: Jul 28, 2012 3:32 PM

Well, I would want a QB who can do well when the play doesn’t break down too. I don’t like Tebow and I don’t not like Tebow. I really haven’t seen him play enough but what I have seen doesn’t remind me of the kind of QB I want leading my team. Tebow may be the kind of QB who could have led a team with a great defense, like the Bucs and Ravens winning a Super Bowl with at best average QBs of a decade ago, but our contemporary NFL doesn’t work like that. You need a QB who can light up the score board if needed and I haven’t seen anything that would give me the impression Tebow can do that. I’m not going to write him off just yet, but he has a long way to go to make me a fan of him as a football player. I’m a fan of him off the field but that doesn’t mean anything to me as a fan of on the field football play.

11. professorskittles says: Jul 28, 2012 3:32 PM

Yeah, but did anyone see the way he was protecting the punter? TEBOW BABY!

12. knowerofallthings says: Jul 28, 2012 4:55 PM

He’s put on 10 lbs and his role won’t be to throw the deep ball. He’s got one solid attribute that I think he can all agree on; he’s damn hard to tackle. Give him a seam and he’ll get the first down or TD from the red zone; that’s his role.

13. kgun80 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:01 PM

Seriously are we really going to continue reporting every time a Jets fan boos?! I’m not a fan of Tebow and I don’t think he’ll ever become a conventional starter in the NFL. As a Bills fan I love watching the outside distractions continue for the Jets. But I’m actually starting to feel bad for this kid, I don’t see him being a Jet after 2012

14. drunkenagitator says: Jul 28, 2012 5:13 PM

Yeah, he’s terrible. It was atrocious how he led his crummy, go-nowhere team to the playoffs like that last season. If I had a dime for everything a Jet fan knows about football I’d have banked well over thirty cents by now.

15. dollarbill247 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:16 PM

We talkin bout practice?!!! Not a game!! Not a game!! We talkin bout practice!!

16. lrjets says: Jul 28, 2012 5:26 PM

Does the thirty cents include your allowance?

17. nepo784 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:29 PM

Classless fans

18. justsayin70 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:33 PM

This says as much about pathetic NY fans as it does about Tebow’s conventional QB skills.

19. pandebailey says: Jul 28, 2012 5:35 PM

So Tebow’s “skill” at QB led Denver to the playoffs? In his last six games he was 2-4, he completed just 41%, had 13 turnovers, and only beat the Bears and Steelers because their QB’s were out or crippled. Playoffs!? They only got to the playoffs because Oakland lost an easy last game.

Once the NFL figured out his act, his last games were just awful….and you say he has magic talent?
    I’m just trying to figure out what games you were watching at the end of last year – Tebow was a joke.

20. dlk47823 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:35 PM

I don’t believe every NFL fan is rooting for Sanchez to get hurt. Fans that root for injury are not fans, just aholes.

21. dlk47823 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:38 PM

Don’t worry about the Jets, Bills fans. Seroulsy, you’re quaterback is RYAN FITZPATRICK.

22. 1standlong says: Jul 28, 2012 5:45 PM

jdmonte11 says:
    Jul 28, 2012 3:14 PM

You’re way off. Tebow is prime time football. Look at he jersey sales #s.

23. bigbamboom1 says: Jul 28, 2012 5:45 PM

Tebow is a cross between 2 QB’s from the past. Joe Kapp of the Minnesota Vikings. And Bobby Douglas of the Chicago Bears. Kapp was a notorius horrible passer. His wobblers were legendary. But he always found ways to win and get the Vikings into the playoffs. He was a real tough guy too. Douglas was a pure runner with a cannon arm. Problem was he couldn’t even complete a screen pass if his life depended on it.

So Jets fans don’t get that hope bar up there too high on Tebow. He’s not as awful as some are saying because he knows how to squeeze every ounce of his limited QB skills to WIN. But no one has ever seen his QB skillset deliver an NFL title or SuperBowl.

24. danrooneyii says: Jul 28, 2012 5:51 PM

Ike Taylor is still scared.

25. captainqueef says: Jul 28, 2012 5:57 PM

Skip Bayless just committed suicide

26. stakex says: Jul 28, 2012 5:58 PM

People can wish Teblow to be good all they want, but the guys awful. I don’t care how good his ground game might be, he can’t throw the ball…. which is kinda important in the NFL these days.

27. SparkyGump says: Jul 28, 2012 6:00 PM

What? Jesus, Jr. can’t throw? Didn’t see that one coming. Oh well. he’ll be staring in a megachurch near you soon. Don’t forget to bring your “donation”.

28. gaadr says: Jul 28, 2012 6:10 PM

I have always been a Tebow fan and apologist to some degree. But for a man that strong, who has been playing QB essentially all of his life, and has had access to some of the top coaching available to be unable to just toss a spiral is amazing to me.

29. pedagoguish says: Jul 28, 2012 6:13 PM

He isn’t praying enough.

30. biggestredmiami says: Jul 28, 2012 6:14 PM

What will people say when he wins a Super Bowl?

31. mgifford15 says: Jul 28, 2012 6:22 PM

Tim tebow: possibly the best and most horrible thing to ever happen to the nfl.

32. stevenfbrackett says: Jul 28, 2012 6:27 PM

Jets fans should be thrilled. 3 for 8 is better than his average.

33. jayquintana says: Jul 28, 2012 6:39 PM

Dear Jets,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

– J. Elway

P.S.

Thank you again!

34. souldogdave says: Jul 28, 2012 7:13 PM

As I posted earlier, and you deleted(what’s up with that?)”We’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto”. Let’s see if this post stays up.

35. drunkenagitator says: Jul 28, 2012 7:18 PM

lrjets: The three things Jests fans know re: football:

1. They can (and will) drink heavily at home games.
    2. They can spell J-E-T-S without flash cards.
    3. They will be angry and depressed throughout December and January.

Tebow is better than Sanchez. Not “will be” better, IS better. Denver made a HUGE mistake giving Tebow away on the cheap and the Jests will be making an equally bad mistake if they do not start him immediately. Sanchez is a crappy QB, there are dozens of those available. Tebow is a once-in-a-lifetime football player who knows how to win games…period.

36. realdealsteel says: Jul 28, 2012 7:21 PM

Tim Tebow’s mystique was created by a Broncos defense that became surprisingly stout last season. If that defense didn’t play lights out, the one TD a game Tebow mustered would have had him on the bench. What happened last season for Tebow was a fluke.

Everyone knows that Tebow really can’t pass or read defenses. Check his wonderlic score. In two years from now, Tebow will be selling insurance some place and out the league.

37. scott8nj says: Jul 28, 2012 7:25 PM

I am not privy to game films but the expert’s biggest knock (besides not being accurate) is that he doesn’t anticipate a route or throw a timing pattern. He has to see a receiver break wide open for him to throw the ball. As smart and hard working as he is supposed to be, after all this time, that’s even more surprising than him not being able to throw a spiral.

38. dismayed1992 says: Jul 28, 2012 7:51 PM

not only will i be surprised, i will be downright speechless….

39. mwelsh1977 says: Jul 28, 2012 8:44 PM

Guys a tool. And he sucks at being a QB.

40. cmdrsmooth says: Jul 28, 2012 9:25 PM

Sanchez and Tebow are not the best QBs on their own team.

41. monkeyhateclean says: Jul 28, 2012 10:51 PM

realdealsteel says: Jul 28, 2012 7:21 PM

________________________

Agreed, except on his post-NFL career. Tebow will start/join a TV ministry that will make him so wealthy that his NFL salary will look like the profits from a corner lemonade stand.

42. omniusprime says: Jul 28, 2012 11:01 PM

Teblow blows when it comes to throwing the ball, and that doesn’t even require much intelligence which Teblow is so short of. Just wait until this pathetic excuse for an NFL QB has to run the pro set and plays and has to think with his religion atrophied brain, that will be a laugh and then the heckling will really get serious.

Sign Teblow up for the Arena League or better yet the Lingerie League, maybe then the girls will make Teblow look like he isn’t throwing like a girl.

43. norcalirish says: Jul 29, 2012 4:30 AM

“Thats a Tebow ball”? Awkward. How about “Teball”? Works better. Get Quinn in.

44. keepounding1234 says: Jul 29, 2012 7:31 AM

souldogdave says:Jul 28, 2012 7:13 PM

_________________________________ I would have deleted too.

45. vipod4ever says: Jul 29, 2012 7:43 AM

“We Talkin’Bout Practise” – Iverson

46. tformation says: Jul 29, 2012 9:41 AM

Ah, the heckling’s good for Tim. Remind him that he needs to WORK to EARN his position in the NFL.