Bryant McKinnie’s back in Baltimore, with a bad back

BET's Rip The Runway 2012 - Arrivals Getty Images

Bryant McKinnie’s back in Baltimore, with an apparently bad back.

McKinnie told Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times he’s been missing from Ravens camp because he slipped and fell outside his South Florida home and twisted his lower back.

“I had an accident. I’m over it. I’m here to play football,” McKinnie said.

McKinnie’s been MIA since camp opened and was placed on the reserve/did not report list, incurring fines of $30,000 per day.

“Of course, I’m glad to be back,” McKinnie said. “I’m kind of disappointed, though. “I’ve been training hard, I’ve been boxing and doing all this stuff. To have a setback like this is disappointing.

“Why isn’t anybody saying I got hurt? I don’t know what people thought was going on. How I got hurt is running out of the house. It was slippery and I fell and hurt my lower back. You can’t be playing football when your back is hurting. When I fell, I said, ‘I know I ain’t going out like this.’”

McKinnie’s bewilderment at anyone wondering where he was ignores one significant point: With him, it’s always something.

The Vikings ran him off for being overweight, and he’s worked to get that under control with the Ravens. But they’ve moved Michael Oher to left tackle for the moment, and may be inclined to leave him there, if McKinnie can’t get on the field and do something.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Bryant McKinnie’s back in Baltimore, with a bad back”
  1. blacknole08 says: Jul 29, 2012 3:17 PM

Gotta admit I LOL’d throughout this whole story. You know a player is lying when they diagnose their own injury. He’s a lazy bum, plain and simple.

2. beargonephishing says: Jul 29, 2012 4:56 PM

McKinnie will generate a couple stories, a couple quarterbacks will get injured in preseason, players will question the length and purpose of preseason football, the Jets will talk a lot of trash, we will hear a rumor about a drama queen quarterback coming out of or going into retirement, the Ravens will make the playoffs, the earth will revolve around the sun.

….. that is…. until 12-21-2012 of course.

3. randallflagg52 says: Jul 29, 2012 7:04 PM

I’m a Raven fan and I can honestly say who cares. If he stays, we have a solid pass protector at LT, even if he is fat and lazy. If he goes we kick Oher over, get a better run blocker, although one who will get a few false starts. The Ravens also get to see either Jah Reid or big K.O. at RT, which is fine with me since they invested high draft picks in these guys.

4. mattolikesthevikes says: Jul 29, 2012 7:11 PM

Thought he had a family emergency. Big fatty has a hat full of excuses. Just pick one out a season and run with it. I personally liked last year when he decided to eat an entire cows weight and show up fat and lazy.

5. askcabs says: Jul 29, 2012 7:33 PM

He has been an entitled “athlete” since he was in high school. You would think he would be grateful to have the opportunity to play in the NFL…instead he is part of the Boats and Hoes scandal and beats up a guy half his size at a bar! Was a loser in high school and remains a loser!

6. barajane5 says: Jul 29, 2012 10:41 PM

“How I got hurt is running out of the house. It was slippery and I fell and hurt my lower back. You can’t be playing football when your back is hurting”. Please CUT this man!!! He’s fat, lazy, and stupid. What person would take out a 4.2 million dollar loan and doesn’t expect to pay it back with interest? Oh yeah – Bryant McKinnie – that’s who.

7. calbsure says: Jul 29, 2012 10:59 PM

I believe his story about his back. Whats the problem people? He was running after the hog he was about to put on the pit for a midnight snack and slipped and fell. Give him a break, at least the hog caught a temporary one.

8. mrpkg says: Jul 30, 2012 10:45 AM

This is just another example that Harbaugh does not have control of this team. First it was how Suggs got hurt, then Reed not showing up, now McKinnie. Cam Cameron continues to ruin the offense despite one of the best RB’s in Ray Rice. This is the year they go below .500

9. mediasloppy says: Jul 30, 2012 4:42 PM

randallflagg52 says:
    Jul 29, 2012 7:04 PM

——————-
    Good thing you got him cheap. I’ll add that people who say who cares are why this guy is out of shape. When you have games on the line towards the end of the season and he’s puking on the field while getting burned by the defense, believe me you’ll care.