Darren McFadden’s goal is simple — good health

Darren McFadden, Michael Huff AP

The way Darren McFadden’s career has gone, the news is when he’s well.

The Raiders running back is healthy at the moment, recovered from the Lisfranc sprain that ended his 2011 season and derailed his team’s playoff chances.

That was the latest in a series of injuries, some just dumb luck, that have defined his career as much as his explosive ability.

“If someone has an answer for it, I would love for them to tell me,” McFadden told reporters after the first day of camp, via Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group.

“I think we all understand that he’s an explosive playmaker for us and we need him to be healthy for an entire season,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.

If he does that, he’d set a personal record.

McFadden has missed at least three games each of his four seasons, and last year’s nine-game absence was the longest.

He’s had turf toe, knee and shoulder problems, and missed camp time last year with a broken orbital bone suffered when his helmet was pushed down into his eye during a blocking drill.

Through it all, McFadden has stayed upbeat, but won’t call himself jinxed.

“I can’t say I’m unlucky because in my mind I’m a very blessed person to even be playing in this league,” McFadden said. “I just go out there and take it one day at a time. I can’t control injuries. If I get hurt, I’m going to get hurt going hard . . . I’m not going to go out there and play not to get hurt.”

If he can stay well, the Raiders have a legitimate shot to make good on the playoff hopes so many have.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Darren McFadden’s goal is simple — good health”
  1. jlb10 says: Jul 31, 2012 9:59 AM

IF he ever stays healthy for a full season he will be one of the top 3 backs in the league.
    without him the raiders will struggle mightily

2. allascowboys says: Jul 31, 2012 10:05 AM

McFadden is nasty. He’s very fast, and has solid hands. If he can stay healthy, he should have at least 1,500 ap yards.

3. donottellmethatnameistaken says: Jul 31, 2012 10:14 AM

Obviously a player can be unlucky, such as with the turf toe and Lisfranc, but if you watch the way McFadden runs he tries to dish out pain. The more unnecessary hits you take, the more likely you are to get shoulder, knee injuries, etc.
    I remember reading an article on Edgerrin James where he said after his acl tear that he wasn’t as fast but it eventually led to long term season health because he learned when to go for the tough yard and when to step out of bounds and live to fight another day.

4. joetoronto says: Jul 31, 2012 10:24 AM

Most people don’t realize just how good McFadden really is.

He’s not just crazy talented, he’s a workhorse who has great hands too and is a devastating blocker.

I’ll never forget what he did to Haloti Ngata, wow.

5. villa41 says: Jul 31, 2012 10:25 AM

The man is a warrior. A lot of these injuries (i.e., turf tow and getting stepped on for the Lisfranc) have been been plain bad luck. Assuming that luck changes this year (and I think it does), DMAC is going to one of the best players in the league (not just an elite RB).

Look out. This team is being severly underrated. A healthly McFadden makes the Raiders downright dangerous.

6. r8rsfan says: Jul 31, 2012 10:32 AM

Wish they would quit focusing on his injuries so much. Every story about DMC mentions it.

7. foul83 says: Jul 31, 2012 11:03 AM

Yeah, man. This dude’s a beast. I hope he can keep himself together the rest of his career. Run DMC Run.

8. sourdough says: Jul 31, 2012 11:05 AM

With, or without, McFadden the Raiders will again finish without a winning record, their tenth straight season. Just lose baby!

9. raiderapologist says: Jul 31, 2012 11:17 AM

sourdough says: Jul 31, 2012 11:05 AM

————-
    Must be a Charger fan. They always judge success on their regular season record, because that’s all they have. And they’ve only been one game over .500 the last two seasons.

10. 44mpo says: Jul 31, 2012 11:28 AM

Hmmm, how many games did Walter Peyton miss in his career? He wrote the book on punishing would be tacklers. The minute you start playing to “not get hurt”, you ain’t playing no more.

11. broncosaddict says: Jul 31, 2012 1:02 PM

Dude is a beast….crazy good.
    Until he was injured, Raiders were easily on track for the division title and playoffs.
    Give him the ball and he pretty much ran over anyone. I dont know his stats, but it sure seemed like he was picking up at least 5 yds a carry (and they werent all easy yards)
    As much as it pains to say it, I’m pretty positive they would have had a much better playoff showing then my Broncos.
    Dont get me wrong, I’m still a Raider Hater!!
    But I have no problems respecting players/talent.

12. veraky says: Jul 31, 2012 1:12 PM

raiderapologist says: Jul 31, 2012 11:17 AM

—————————————–
    Wow a whole 2 seasons huh, seems to me there was this other team in the AFC West that hasn’t had a winning season in the last 9 years… who was that again…. oh yea the Raiders!

13. RaiderMight says: Jul 31, 2012 2:16 PM

Maybe the Raiders should pay to put McFadden on the Madden cover to get the reverse affect?

14. dumbolt says: Jul 31, 2012 3:15 PM

hey get on the charger superbowl express….every year we get on board, and every year we get derailed and crash and burn. At least we got the preseason where we can babble our utter nonsense, until the season starts….GO NORV…GO AJ….if those two don’t equate to a super bowl victory I don’t know what does.!!!!

15. humboldt420 says: Jul 31, 2012 5:14 PM

Saw the Top 100 players of 2012 on NFL Network and McFadden landed at 60.

Two players, Bills linebacker Kirk Morrison and Broncos corner back Champ Bailey, were on hand to talk about DMC.

This is what Bailey had to say about Darren: “He’s the best running back in the league, to me.”

Morrison: “It doesn’t matter if the player is hurt. When he’s healthy, he’s one of the most dangerous running backs in the league.”

True and true.

If McFadden stays healthy for 16-plus games (plus because there will be more games if the Raiders make postseason play), Oakland is a different animal to game plan against.

New head coach Dennis Allen said as much. When game planning against Oakland, it was much harder to do so with a healthy DMC in the lineup.

On a side note, Charger fans love to state how delusional Raider fans are.

Well, how about this for delusion: A fan base that praises the greatness of a team that has never owned a Lombardi Trophy. Keep dreaming Super Chargers.

16. dasmol says: Aug 1, 2012 3:15 PM

He’s soft, and will be lucky to play 10+ games this season.